Monday 5 February 2018

Play: Dry Powder

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder. Tired of working, and having already accomplished a lot earlier in the day, I left a bit earlier than I might have. Two buses again, crowded again - but at least I had a seat. My second bus was supposed to be the #113, but it turned out that the #13 - which happened along first - did the exact same route, as far as I wanted: so I took it. Ended up being the first of the group to arrive.. when someone else did, she thought we were to meet downstairs, so down we went - and got a table! Sadly, of course, all the others were meeting upstairs, and with no way to leave a message for them - and too many to move them all downstairs anyway - up we went.

Some chat, some very nice wine, and in we went - back row of the circle for me, as usual! I do like that row - a good view, decent legroom, and a rail you can lean on. Which I frequently did. Now, this play is about finance - and in case you were wondering, the title, "dry powder" refers to a company's liquidisable assets, which it can readily turn into cash if necessary. (I know that feeling!) Not to anything else you might have thought of.. The stage is pretty bare - a glass-topped table, a couple of chairs, max (rarely enough to seat everyone who's onstage together, thus heightening the sense of tension). The rear wall is made of mirrors, which revolve to different configurations to represent different settings - and for one scene, they just keep revolving, which proves very disorientating.

Four characters - the managing director of a company that's looking to be sold, and three from the company that's looking to buy: the CEO and his two senior colleagues, one played by Hayley Atwell. My, they're true to life - I spent the whole play marvelling at how similar they are to people I know personally. The CEO is a real wheeler-dealer, determined to do the best for his company, never mind what anyone else thinks. The other two in his company are constantly at each other's throats - the angel and the devil, if you like. Not really a spoiler to tell you that the devil, in this case, is Hayley Atwell, the only woman of the piece - an American Maggie Thatcher, if you will, she's obsessed with figures, completely unable to relate to other human beings. Her nemesis, the third member of that company, comes across as the sympathetic one, wanting to protect the vision of the guy whose company is being taken over, whose aim is to protect jobs.

It's got a quick pace, plenty of verbal battles, plenty happening. I was riveted. Also good that it's straight through, no interval - maintains the atmosphere. And as the story progresses, you should start to wonder - who's going to maintain their position, who's going to waver once the pressure's on? Gripping stuff, recommended. Wouldn't really improve your opinion of human nature, but hey, finance is like that. Runs until the 3rd - booking recommended.

Afterwards, there'd been talk of getting a drink, given the early finish time, and depending on how people felt - the folks I was chatting to were up for it, but would you believe, by the time I'd got back from the bar with my drink, and another had returned from the toilet.. the main body of the group had vanished! Not really a drinking crowd, this group in general, it seems. Ah well, their loss - we had a good natter amongst ourselves, those who felt like staying for one. Upon leaving, the others Tubed - I was on the buses, as usual. Almost as quick, at this time of night.

Tomorrow, I was thinking of a film - and what's coming up top is Phantom Thread, purportedly Daniel Day Lewis' last ever film! in which he plays an ageing couturier in 1950s London, who falls for a young waitress. Closest showing to me is in the Barbican, which, as I've established, is within easy walking distance now.

On Wednesday, I've booked for Girl from the North Country - a musical based around the songs of Bob Dylan - showing at the Noel Coward Theatre. I hear good things!

On Thursday, back with Meetup, and with Up in the Cheap Seats, for The Divide, at the Old Vic. Interestingly, I see that London Dramatic Arts has scheduled a trip to the same play on the same night! Despite having a very good deal on seats in the front stalls, she doesn't seem to have any takers, yet - well, if she bought them on preview, she's added over 50% to the price! I don't dare mention to her that I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats, of course - she'd probably only take offence. I hear the production is four hours long.. ouch, and I have to be up early next morning to buy more U2 tickets! Once I transfer some funds, of course. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next Monday, I'm going to The Brothers Size, at the Young Vic this time. Again, I hear good things!

On the 13th, Girls & Boys, starring Carey Mulligan, at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Natch. Another that's supposed to be excellent!

On the 14th, The York Realist, at Donmar Warehouse.

On the 15th, my £3.60 club has got me a ticket - for that amount - for Orpheus Sinfonia, at St. George's Church in Hanover Square. About time I was back with them - they do offer excellent value.

And on the 16th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - who else - for Frozen, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment