Wednesday 14 February 2018

Play: The York Realist

Tonight, my Valentine's Day plans involved The York Realist, at Donmar Warehouse - a gay love story, set in Yorkshire. And as I remarked to my co-worker, ain't it vexing to keep going to things that are walking distance from our old office?! and from my old accommodation. Oh well.

Left in good time - and despite my bus coming while I was waiting to cross, another was along in just over five minutes. Which was as well, considering that yesterday's drizzle got a lot more enthusiastic today! and it was cold. When I got off, I had another few minutes' sploshing to the venue, where two sentinels guarded the stairs up to the theatre and bar. Now, I had an e-ticket for this, which they said could be displayed on my phone - so, earlier in the day, I'd downloaded it and had the window open on my phone, ready to be displayed. What happened when I needed it? It closed! With a dicey internet connection - typical of the West End - it took me four attempts to get it to display again. Was I ever relieved when it finally did..

First floor is the stalls, second floor the circle - where I was. With a bar on each level, conveniently, I just kept on climbing - ordered a drink just for something to do, as the house wasn't open yet. My though, I do advise sneaking a look at the wine list before you order - prices are pretty steep, running to over £10 for a large glass! Cheapest of the whites is the chenin blanc, at £7.. quite decent, and they give you a plastic container to take it in. And ask you whether you want to order one for the interval too - but honestly, when I'm on my own, I don't tend to head to the bar at the interval. Too much trouble, with the crowd.

I'd only drunk a little when the house opened, and we filed in. She just took a look at my seat number and waved me to the left - sure enough, Row C of the circle here is pretty unambiguous, being the row just behind the lighting fixtures, at either side. But then, they're only going to get in the way if you're looking straight ahead - looking down to the stage is fine, particularly if you lean. Which is perfectly permissible, being the back row of the circle. There's also a nice, padded railing to lean on, and pipes and stuff to rest your feet on. Only thing is, it gets very snug - when it's full, like tonight.



A beautiful picture of the moors overhangs the stage throughout, dominating the theatre as you enter, never letting you forget where you are. The stage is laid out as a farmhouse kitchen - thick rafters, a range cooker to the side, a home baked pie on a shelf. The play is set in the 60s, centring around the farming son who lives with his elderly mother, and is set to perform the role of Pontius Pilate in the local mystery plays. And is developing a relationship with the London lad acting as assistant director..

It's slow. It's meant to be, echoing the pace of life there, and at that time. It did occur to me, listening to the Northern accent, whether, had I been from the part of the world in which The Brothers Size is set, I'd have found that play easier to understand.. surely there were folks in the room tonight who had difficulty with the accent of most of the characters. After years of Corrie, and with cousins from Sheffield, I faced no such difficulties! Indeed, it's a part of the world I love - looking forward to a couple of U2 concerts in Manchester, in October.

Anyway. These are star-crossed lovers, as you might have guessed - a clash of cultures gets in the way. The religious local community versus more liberal values, country versus city, duty versus fun. And with that gorgeous backdrop, and light streaming in through the windows of the set, you can see how the choice might be difficult for a fellow who's grown up there, and is asked to leave for the bright lights of the big city..

I liked it, although last night was a hard act to follow. And the two protagonists are very easy on the eye, big, muscle-bound hunks that they are. No nudity here, but we do get one scene where one strips to his undies. Interesting, and beautifully played - if just a little long. Still, it was over nice and early. Runs until the 24th of next month - tickets limited, I believe, and certainly tonight seemed to be sold out.

And so home, in rain, but warmer temperatures. Mercifully, a bus happened straight along. Tomorrow, my £3.60 club has got me a ticket - for that amount - for Orpheus Sinfonia, at St. George's Church in Hanover Square. About time I was back with them - they do offer excellent value. Pity though - the London European Club, I've just discovered, has just advertised a concert that I'd happily have gone to! Well, if they will leave it that late..

And on Friday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - who else - for Frozen, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment