Wednesday 7 February 2018

Musical: Girl from the North Country

Tonight, I booked for Girl from the North Country - a musical based around the songs of Bob Dylan - showing at the Noel Coward Theatre. I'd heard good things! Collect at the box office again - it's ages since I've had to print anything. I had to skip a late meeting to go to it - nuts to that, it was only an all-hands, I wasn't integral to it.. and they can't force us to stay that late.

Arrived way too early, of course - over an hour and a half early, picked up my ticket - but the bar wasn't yet open. Tried another couple of local ones - I had to put myself somewhere - but they were crammed, so I ended up at Brown's, right next door. It was crowded too, but I got a seat at the bar, and bought an overpriced wine. Which I nursed for about 45 minutes - a record for me, I think! while I eavesdropped on the lady whose "dry January" lasted all the way up till the 9th, and observed the quite sloppy barman, whose shift was just finishing.


When it came time to leave, I needed the loo - knew they were downstairs, but be warned; there are two stairs, and the one you want is towards the front! Having safely managed that - no motion sensors in this toilet - I hopped next door and climbed some more stairs to the upstairs bar. By the time I'd queued for some Maltesers, the house was open, and I clambered up to the balcony (top of the house: no sweet sellers here). Then I clambered down to the front row of the balcony.







Comfy seats, good view, decent legroom - only problem is, the seats at this level don't tilt, and there's no space under them! So if someone wants to squeeze past - as they invariably do - better make yourself as small as possible.. just before the show started, I witnessed a fracas at the other side, where a young couple on the bench slips wanted to move to a couple of free seats, slightly more central. I've never seen such an officious usher, who spotted them and absolutely prohibited it! Bah humbug. The one on my side, however, while keen to remind me not to take photos, emphasised that it was ok before the show started. And then he took the trouble, as I was leaving, to ask me what I'd thought of the show!

So, this musical, written by Conor McPherson, is set in Depression-era 1934, and centres on the various inhabitants of a boarding house in Duluth - all down on their luck in one way or another. In short, I could take or leave the play aspect, to be honest. I found it a bit shouty - as you'd expect, from a cast comprised of people who were primarily there to sing! The various stories are mainly there as a vehicle for the songs - we could do without the play side at all. Kudos, though, to whoever plays the woman with dementia throughout - she has free reign to act as wildly as she likes!

The music.. is epic! Achingly beautiful renditions of many Dylan songs I didn't know - and later, ones that I did. Some of them are performed as medleys, familiar snippets coming though; for To Make You Feel My Love, they turn the lights on the disco ball hanging from the ceiling. Stunning performances. Tear-jerking. Voices to blow the rafters off. One thing it goes to show is how beautifully Dylan songs can be performed by people who love them - I never did care for his own vocal style, myself. But oh, this music is something you have to experience. I've just bought the cast recording myself - cheaper on Amazon Smile (5% of the purchase price is donated to a charity of your choice) than in the theatre. You really can't miss this - runs till the 24th of March. Afterwards, something I've never before seen - a standing ovation on every single one of the four levels, right up to the balcony! Well deserved.

Sadly, during the interval, I saw a post on Facebook that Helen's little cat - always had health problems - died today. Rest in peace, little puss.


Tomorrow, back with Meetup, and with Up in the Cheap Seats, for The Divide, at the Old Vic. Interestingly, I see that London Dramatic Arts has scheduled a trip to the same play on the same night! If she bought the tickets on preview, she's added over 50% to the price.. I don't dare mention to her that I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats, of course - she'd probably only take offence. I hear the production is four hours long.. ouch, and I have to be up early next morning to buy more U2 tickets! Have now transferred funds. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, I'm going to The Brothers Size, at the Young Vic this time. Again, I hear good things!

On Tuesday, Girls & Boys, starring Carey Mulligan, at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Natch. Another that's supposed to be excellent!

Next Wednesday, The York Realist, at Donmar Warehouse.

On the 15th, my £3.60 club has got me a ticket - for that amount - for Orpheus Sinfonia, at St. George's Church in Hanover Square. About time I was back with them - they do offer excellent value.

And on the 16th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - who else - for Frozen, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment