Saturday 3 February 2018

Dance: Sadler's Wells Sampled

Last night, my now-nearby venue, finally - I was at Sadler's Wells Sampled, with Up in the Cheap Seats, for the second night in a row. Hey, I can walk there and back.. so I did, leaving in good time.


No distance at all really, and I was first there. Well, I think so - unfortunately, where they were meeting turned out to be in a corner at the rear of the lobby (to the right of the box office) that I hadn't even known was there! So I was left sitting pretty on my own at the front door, until someone else - who didn't know where we were supposed to be, either - spotted me and joined me.

See, Sadler's Wells Sampled - a showcase for all that happens there, of course - doesn't only happen in the auditorium; no, there are exhibitions all through the building, and a Latin American, Carnival-style party was happening on the mezzanine! The joint was hopping. Short story, the lobby was as jammed as I've ever seen it, and we missed each other. As it happened, I was sitting beside the organiser and one other in the auditorium, so we did meet eventually..

Rear stalls. I don't think I've ever been in the stalls here before, apart from a Q+A once - what a relief not to have to climb all those stairs, for once! The front of the stalls has actually been turned into a standing area for this, and was pretty full, like the whole place. Those standing were in a more relaxed mood than you might usually expect in this venue, and there was a share of talking, using phones - they had to be shushed a couple of times. A school group ended up leaving quite early, at the first lights-up; that confused us all, but we thought it was too early for the interval. The second lights-up, after another couple of acts, confused us even more, and we would have left, but for an anxious usher, who warned us that there was one more act to go, and we'd miss it if we left now..!

Each act is prefaced by a short video piece, broadcast on a screen that was lowered for the intro, then raised for the performance. A lovely idea, and one I'd like to see more of. And what a variety was presented to us.. The first piece was one of the evening's highlights, a startlingly original piece by Nederlands Dans Theater 2. Purposely jerky movements, performed really quickly, with dim lighting, gave the impression of a dance film sped up - it was quite surreal, and from the rear stalls, we wondered whether our eyes were playing tricks on us! A piece I'd really like to see again.

This is followed by the BBC Young Dancers Section; a couple of young lads with a jerky, quirky, fun style of their own are followed by last year's winner, Nafisah Baba, who in the intro video explained how she was torn between dancing and netball! She hoped that we'd find the dance reminiscent of her holding a ball. Sure enough, we were unlikely to forget the connection, since she dances in a sports vest and shorts..

A couple of more traditional forms take us to the interval: Birmingham Royal Ballet with a pas de deux, and - always my favourite - a flamenco piece, stormed through by Jesús Carmona, stamping and preening his way through a piece as dramatic as I've seen, accompanied by a guitarist and a singer. Olés were heard from the crowd..

We did, finally, all meet at the interval, and I discovered that corner that was new to me. In a choice between an attractive-looking range of ice creams, and the toilet, I chose the latter - happily, the queue was fast-moving. The second half starts with another ground-breaking piece, Zero, by Humanhood: another surreal show, with moody lighting setting the scene for an unusual pas de deux.

Second up is Zenaida Yanowsky, demonstrating that most classical of pieces, The Dying Swan. Originally choreographed for Anna Pavlova, it's a fabulous vignette of classical ballet, and a chance to marvel at the technique and training required.

Candoco follow, with a piece choreographed for a one-legged dancer. And this fabulous show ends with Yeah Yellow, performing Yeah Yellow Sunshine (why not?). A sassy, hip hop group, they remind us how good breakdancing is - and take it to another level, to enthusiastic applause. With all performers mingling with the crowd in the lobby after, it was a great night - a night of celebration. Last night tonight - sold out, though. Still, you could always go hang around the lobby..!

Which was what we did, looking for our fellow group members. Lordy, if they hadn't slipped past us again! We eventually gave up and went outside - only to find them there, waiting for us. Truly, a night to get lost. And so we wended our various ways home. For once, I didn't have to be up early today - but was exhausted after my tough week, so went to bed early and postponed the blog!

Today, I'm finally back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (fairly trips off the tongue, that!) for a free walk - Secret Diaries and Public Spaces: the Legacy of Pepys and Wren. As run by Walk London. I had a great time with this group before - it's a shame they so frequently clash with other things I'm doing. Very, very glad it isn't on till this afternoon, so I can relax - not feeling the best, to be honest.

Tomorrow, another walk, with Funzing, via Walking in London - Forgotten Old London is one I've had my eye on for a while. And that evening, someone suggested a classical concert in King's Place - well, whyever not? So I booked. Close enough to walk home after, too.

And on Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment