Wednesday 26 March 2014

Restaurant: Dragon Palace

I have actually been to the Dragon Palace before, but had forgotten the name. I remember having some very good dim sum there the last time.

We were a bit late joining the others, and there was a little confusion about which restaurant we were actually going to - but it's not hard to find. Just across from Earl's Court station, on the other side of Earl's Court Road. (It's actually shown in the video from that last link.)

Our group had booked the back room, and occupied two tables. Most were having dim sum, but I decided to make life a little easier for myself and order a regular main course. When I saw char siu on the menu, I decided to have that - it's been a while, and not everywhere offers it. Meanwhile, the dim sum order list was being passed frantically around the table, as people tried to decide what to order, then find it on the list and tick it off. Most kept a note of what they had ordered - some, wisely, also kept a note of the menu number of it. After all, it takes about three dim sum dishes to make a decent meal, and with several people ordering, it can get chaotic!

Some people had ordered tea, and the pot that arrived for our table was a lovely, gilt one. Others had Chinese beer - I had a glass of wine. What arrived for me was an enormous glass, with what appeared a small amount of wine in the bottom - although it was probably just the size of the glass that made it appear so. I think I got a regular amount of wine. Unfortunately, it was a bit watery.

Someone else was having chicken szechuan, and I was a bit jealous when I saw it coming out, as I had thought about it myself. I was especially jealous as it came out so much earlier than mine. When my lunch eventually arrived, it was tasty, but lukewarm, as was the rice. I think the dim sum was generally well received, except for the three dishes that hadn't arrived by the time everyone had finished. One of us went to ask, and was told the food would be out shortly - someone had made a mistake with the order. It did, eventually, arrive, and in due course the fun of paying began. As usual, some of us had cash, some cards - amusingly, the server had to keep going over to the other side of the room to get the card machine to work. And back, to get the customer to input details. And over again, to get a signal. And so it went.

Verdict - not recommended for large groups - certainly not if you're having dim sum, it gets too crazy. In general, however, I think dim sum is what they do better. I don't know about the others who had mains, but mine was definitely not up to scratch, and was completely cold by the time I got to the end of it. If I'm there again, I will take my chances with the dim sum.

Right - better think about getting ready for La Boheme this evening! Will be eating out, but not Chinese..

2 comments:

  1. I adore Chinese food. Sounds like your party had a good night out overall..I hope you enjoy La Boheme. Ann Marie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too. Yes, we had a good time - just abt to blog abt La Boheme!

    ReplyDelete