Monday 31 March 2014

Play: Other Desert Cities

Other Desert Cities, in the Old Vic, was the play chosen for tonight. And my, but it's good to be back! Ah, the nostalgia I felt coming back last night - despite the engineering works etc. that doubled my journey time from Heathrow.

Looking, as usual, for the cheapest ticket that didn't have a restricted view, I found the best deal on onlinetheatretickets.co.uk - 22% off, no booking fee. Mind you, given the glowing review on Time Out, and the fact that it stars Sinead Cusack, I was surprised to get a ticket at all! What the hey, I booked it. No problems finding the place - I've been here a couple of times before and it's easy. Tube to Waterloo, turn right upon exiting, and you see it ahead, at the junction. Thing about that junction - both pedestrian crossing lights tend to turn green at the same time, and you can make both crossings at once. But only if you run!

Upon collecting my ticket, I was given the delightful news that, despite having booked the upper circle, I was actually in the dress circle, one level closer to the action. Excellent! Fewer stairs to climb, at least. Being quite early, I treated myself to what turned out to be a most delicious glass of pinot grigio - sadly, I didn't make a note of the name. When I did take my seat, I found myself to have an excellent view..


The lady to my left soon switched to the empty seat on the other side of her companion. I'm endeavouring not to take it personally - there was a pillar to her other side there, and maybe she thought she'd have more space that way. Anyway, I got a free seat beside me on account of it!

There was some noise from a group of three young men at the back. A couple in front of me tut-tutted repeatedly at them, and at the interval, one went up to complain to them. She just got sniggers for her trouble. Neither the couple, nor the three young men, were in their seats for the second half.. maybe they all got in a fight, I don't know! ;-) I do wonder whether there was a school assignment or something that they had to be there for, because in the second half there was more noise from a group of kids to the side, and the usher had to have a word with them.

And so the show began. I had a couple of initial complaints with it - I found the initial lines inaudible - but that was soon fixed - and the initial scene was a bit bland. But never fear - stick with it, and that too will change! Played in the round, it's set a living room in Palm Springs, where an elderly, Republican couple, friends of the Reagans, are celebrating Christmas (it's a jolt to see a Christmas tree at this time of year!) with her sister and their son. And the last to arrive is the prodigal daughter, who's just finished writing a book. Which, it turns out, is about them. And they are not happy..

There's a twist to the tale - one you probably don't expect. What I really like about it is that all the characters are multidimensional - nobody is completely innocent, nobody completely bad. Everybody is given a hearing, we get to see how everybody might be mistaken in their beliefs. And the writing is far superior to the ordinary. As well as Sinead Cusack, this stars Peter Egan, who's had a variety of roles over the years, and it shows in his booming voice. A very good play indeed, and very moving as it reaches its climax. Recommended - currently booking until 24th May.

For tomorrow, something very different indeed. I've seen many posters for CircusFest, and thought that it would be a good thing to go to - and now I am! I'm off to see a French acrobatic act involving men wearing just towels around their sensitive parts, La Meute.. and I'm in the front row. Well now, that should be different! And it's in the Roundhouse, which will be a new venue for me. That's always good..

No comments:

Post a Comment