Wednesday 19 March 2014

Film: Under the Skin

I was delighted when Under the Skin's IMDB rating increased, because I had thought it looked very interesting, and had heard great things about it. The nearest it's showing to me is Cineworld, which gives a discount for booking. So I did. Unfortunately, I hadn't counted on work running late, and it eventually became apparent that it just wasn't going to be possible to make that showing.

Well, I might have used that as an excuse to skip it, if I'd been less interested. But I really did want to see this. So I booked for the later showing, which, at least, gave me time (just about!) to eat beforehand. I looked up transport options, to give me more time (and I must say, at this point - I HATE Google Maps' new interface! The homepage defaults to North America, with no way to change it - with Streetview open, the accompanying streetmap isn't pannable - it doesn't seem to want to store my home address..) but it was nearly as fast, and just as handy, to walk - not to mention cheaper, and better for me. So I did.

I arrived a few minutes after the scheduled start, but of course I knew there'd be ads, so it was ok. Which was just as well, because, of course, the double booking confused the idiot Cineworld ticket machines, neither of which let me collect my ticket. The guy standing around doing nothing wouldn't give me my ticket either, but directed me to the concession stand. At least I didn't have to queue, but even they had trouble getting the ticket to print. Then I couldn't find my screen! Bah humbug. At least I didn't have stairs to climb, and I got one of those aisle seats that's cleverly angled so there actually isn't a seat in front of you, and you have all the legroom you want.

And so to what was the most bizarre cinema experience I've had in years (and this is after seeing both Nymphomaniac films!). I've heard the director compared to Kubrick. I'm not a bit surprised. 2001: a Space Odyssey kept popping into my head as I watched the opening images. To say this is visually striking is comparable to the airline pilot that remarked to his passengers that they had a small problem - all four engines had stopped. And he hoped they weren't in too much distress. I was agape for most of this film. And, within 60 seconds, I wanted to stand up and applaud.

It does help if you have a reasonable appreciation of the weird. For this is truly, truly weird. The story? Not terribly defined, and nothing is explained, but we do gather that Scarlett Johansson is some kind of alien, and bad news for mankind. She gets all dolled up and drives around Glasgow in a white van, picking up strange men. She actually did this for real, and the various men we see her asking directions of were actually just passers-by, none of whom recognised her (well, she does look quite different with black hair) and who were subsequently asked for their permission to be used in the film. Which brings me to another mentionable fact - they were brave to release a film with real Glaswegians in it, without subtitles. Seriously, I am amazed that she always seemed to understand them - I would have been gaping at them like an idiot, saying "Wha'?!" One of the world's more impenetrable accents.

Right then. Well, she singles out those on their own, who are far from home and friends - and when she gets them back to her place, the fun begins. In a consistently visually interesting effect, they invariably get - absorbed - into an inky black pool that she seems to have in her back room, or somewhere. Actually, the décor is all black, so it's really hard to get your bearings. "Come to me," or similar, she says, seductively, and in they go, apparently unwittingly, into this pool. And when we finally see what happens to them in the pool - well, eh, you wouldn't wish it on anyone. Ick.

Things get even more interesting when she decides she'd like a change of direction, and leaves her comfort zone behind. I haven't read the book upon which this is apparently based, but everything came as a surprise to me. I'll say this - throughout the film, we get a continual sense of Other - of how it is to see humanity with a cold, calculating eye. Very cleverly done. I loved it. You just need a strong appreciation, as I say, of the Weird.

Phew! Well, that's it for films for a couple of days. I'm heading to the attractively named Urinetown tomorrow, at the St James Theatre. It's a musical. :-) This is the theatre where you need an aisle seat, and I managed to get one - although not in the cheap back row, where I normally go. There were plenty of deals on this, but sadly I missed them all! And on Friday, a dance performance - Shadowland - at Sadler's Wells again. Appropriately named, it uses shadows on screens to great effect, if you watch the clip. Again, missed the good deals - ah well..

No comments:

Post a Comment