Saturday 22 March 2014

Concert: Hard Facade

Honestly, the last time I saw Hard Façade, it was because there was nothing better on. This time, I didn't bother to check what else was on. I knew I'd enjoy it!

Well, the venue was nice and confusing - look up the Iron Horse pub on Google Maps, and you'll see The Metro, because it had a name change, you see. Anyway, once I figured that out, I did manage to determine that it was right beside Sidcup Station, which was handy. Google Maps also informed me that trains run straight there from Charing Cross, and that these trains are run by Southeastern. And thus, I was able to determine that it would take me half an hour to get there, and what time the last train was. Yes, v useful info. And now that I've figured out Google Maps' new layout, I've decided it's not as bad as I thought. Not quite, anyway.

I just missed the Tube into town, and decided, given the wait for the next one into town, that I'd repeat my trick of just getting the next one anywhere and changing at Earl's Court. More connections available, you see. That worked rather well, but I just arrived a few minutes too late for the train to Sidcup. Which was unfortunate, given that they only run about every half hour.. never mind, I was early anyway!

It was nice as the train left the station, because it's the first time I've taken a train across the Hungerford Bridge, which I've walked across so many times. I sat on the right, to get the view of the London Eye. Ahh.. and after several tower blocks, I dozed for a bit. And arrived in Sidcup after about half an hour. Where I made an intelligent assessment of the station layout. Two platforms, therefore two exits. The exit beside the pub hadn't looked like the main exit, and from what I could see of it, the main exit was beside the other platform. Which made the "pub" exit beside my platform. Handy! And so it proved - as I came out, I could see the pub across the car park. Called "The Iron Horse", not "The Metro". Google Maps, take note.

As I entered, my bag was searched, but, despite what it said on the posters, I was charged no entry fee. Not sure how that works.. Anyway, I entered a room with some tables, a bar at the side, and a stage at the far end. The band were chatting to folks, so I went and ordered a drink, and as I was waiting, Nabeel (the one in the woolly hat in the photo) tapped me on the shoulder. Turned out I was the only one who'd shown up from the office. (Boo!) Ah well, it was a bit of a trek. He was somewhat impressed that I'd come all that way. So we nattered for a bit, about what it's like to be in an up-and-coming rock group and such, and then he wandered off and I found myself talking to John (the one in the flat cap in the photo). Who was somewhat impressed I'd come all that way. And finally, I got talking to the singer. Who was somewhat impressed I'd come all that way. (Well, I have form - you should see how far I travel for U2.. at least with Hard Façade, I can get home the same night!)

And so they started, and I sat about halfway down the room, for fear I'd be deafened. No such thing occurred. Anyway, I thought it was a good vantage point to take photos.. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203765469681509.1073741842.1361836980&type=1&l=6c01608ad7

The room wasn't exactly jumping. There was a table of people to my right who were celebrating a birthday and (a) would have liked the music a bit quieter and (b) would have liked something they knew. Like The Script. Might I humbly suggest that they might have been at the wrong gig? The lead singer was, mind you, kind enough to let the birthday boy take the mike for a bit.

Well, I had no such issues, I thought they were excellent. Moved up after a bit, as the music was a lot less loud than I expected. I'm not quite at the stage of recognising the numbers yet, but getting there. I definitely recognised a couple of the intros. And it's very cool that they play their own material. And even cooler that that material is good, and worth listening to. Not that I know that much about it, but they have a really good sound. Already looking forward to their next one! (25 April, as I recall, venue as yet unknown to your author.) I exited fairly rapidly afterwards, shamefully without waiting to talk to them, because (a) they were otherwise occupied, naturally, (b) I'd had quite enough to drink, and (c) I could just make the 10.30 train if I hurried. Which I did. Sorry guys for not hanging around, it wasn't a reflection on the performance!

Interesting observations upon returning to Embankment Station - (1) there was a lady standing right in front of the busker outside, listening avidly. That's nice, I haven't seen that before. (2) There was a guy at the ticket machine who was wearing a crown and a red cape. Well, I guess you don't see much of that either!

Tomorrow, after excluding an opera that just sounds too weird, is looking like a film. After excluding the films that aren't showing tomorrow, and a couple of Bollywood films I just don't think I'd be into, top of the list is going to the preview of a film called The Past, a French-Iranian production. It's a drama about an Iranian man who leaves his French wife and their children to return to Iran, and then has to cope with her request for a divorce as she forms a new relationship. The trailer looks terrific..

No comments:

Post a Comment