Tuesday 11 March 2014

Film: Nymphomaniac: Volume II

Yes, well, what happened was what I was going to go to was sold out, when I checked it today. We'll see whether I can get a ticket for some time next week or thereafter. In the meantime, it was back to the film list again.

Top of the list was one called How We Played the Revolution. Well, it may have been top in terms of IMDB ratings, but when I read how it's the story of how a group of Lithuanian cabaret artists started a revolution against Russian occupation by making jokes about them, I thought - "What?!" A touch too surreal for my taste. The second film on my list was Drugstore Cowboy. I'm sure it's very good, but, with it made in 1989, I can already tell how depressing it's going to be. I didn't feel like that either.

So that brought me down to Nymphomaniac: Volume II Well, I had no doubts about that - until I started running through the list of cinemas showing it, only to find that most were either not showing it today, or not at a time I could manage, being at work until late afternoon. I was saved by the Renoir, which is, at least, in the city centre, albeit at the other side of it. Not selling out either - but I would have to go straight from work, which I did.

Tube to Russell Square, and it's a short walk to the right, up the steps at the other side of the road, and follow the path through the shops round to the right. It's a kind of glass box in the square, with the cinemas and bar downstairs. I was slightly late, but made it nicely in time for the trailers, which I always enjoy. Plenty of seating this time, unlike when I saw Volume I.

Now, I'm going to take up where I left off with what I had to say about Volume I. Some films stand alone, despite being sequels. Some, while quite watchable in their own right, nonetheless need the preceding film to make complete sense of them. This film falls into the latter category, so I'll assume that anyone seeing it has seen Volume I. Really, it makes more sense that way. And therefore, it also makes sense to write this as though you've read the blog about Volume I (last Saturday).

So, Joe continues her story. Volume II is, indeed, darker than Volume I. It doesn't cover every sexual predilection, but it covers a fair few, and some of what it says makes uncomfortable listening, and watching. Good, I like my preconceptions to be challenged. Mind you, it's not just sex - von Trier has a go at many philosophies here, including religion, political correctness - oh, and the very question I posed in my other blog: would people react the same if a man had been doing all these things? Stellan Skarsgard poses exactly the same question.

Charlotte Gainsbourg has more to do in this film, as we're coming closer to the present day and she doesn't need someone younger to play her any more. We have a look at a couple of fairly extreme sexual practices, and the ending is really interesting.. I've seen silent endings before, but not one where you could hear what's going on, but the screen is black. Doubtless, there's a thesis in that alone. Yes, I recommend it - but leave your prejudices - all of them! - at home. And don't worry - the whole thing is shot through with a sense of humour. This film could be the starting point for many a discussion.

So, tomorrow is The Hotel Plays, by Tennessee Williams, which, as the name implies, are performed in a hotel. I love that kind of thing. Apparently, they're running three shows at a time, with all three plays performed simultaneously. Which you see first just depends on which group you're in. I was lucky to get a ticket - they've been consistently sold out. And this is the last week. Then, on Thursday, I'm off to see Hard Façade (playing amongst others) perform at the Water Rats. Principally because two of them work in our office. And then I'm off to Ireland to recuperate, where I shall be until next Tuesday evening. And then? Off we go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment