Sunday 23 March 2014

Film: The Past (Le Passé)

When I was looking for something to do today, I rejected an opera that, from the review, sounded weird. I then came to films, and rejected two Bollywood films that, having viewed the trailers, I didn't think I'd be into. Which led me, with some glee, to The Past. I've seen the trailer for this a couple of times, and that, combined with the director's pedigree, meant I was gagging to see this. Asghar Farhadi - remember the name. He's Iranian, and wrote and directed A Separation and About Elly, among others, before this - those are the two I've seen. A better maker of films about the complexities of human relationships you will NOT find. I've always loved Iranian film, and it's great to see a director who's so consistent in making ones that you're happy to recommend!

Well, it turned out that The Past was only showing in a special preview today, in the Curzon Mayfair. Yuck, my least favourite cinema. The website describes it as the "jewel in the crown". You what?! I much prefer the other Curzon cinemas I've been to - the Curzon Soho and the Renoir. Or the HMV Curzon, in Wimbledon. They charge less, have more facilities, and have staff that don't sleepwalk through their task of selling you a ticket! Also, the Mayfair branch usually has the issue of crowds of commuters to push your way through. At least that wasn't going to be an issue today..

I did take note that it was a special preview, and I should keep an eye on how tickets were selling. Now, they don't have a seating plan, which is a good way to check - but in such circumstances, what I try to do is put through a sale for as many tickets as the site allows. It's the best way I know to check how it's selling - as long as the maximum number goes through, I consider myself safe. Sure enough, when I tried at lunchtime today, they wouldn't let me put all the tickets through. Ooh, I thought to myself, and upon seeing that they would let me buy one ticket, I promptly did so. I wasn't surprised, as this was the only preview this week.

Tube to Green Park, turn right on Piccadilly, take a right on Clarges Street, left on Curzon Street, appropriately. I made my way without much difficulty - although, note to self: the best exit is Piccadilly (North Side). Look ahead on Curzon Street, you can already see the cinema. As I entered, it gave me a smug feeling to see the "Sold Out" sign on the door for the film I was going to, knowing I already had a ticket. And I guessed, as I queued for the box office, that the queue that snaked around the lobby was for the same film. "Is it a free ticket?" she asked, as I told her I had a booking. "No," I said, feeling slightly miffed. I felt less miffed afterwards, as I watched the ads that preceded the film, including one for Curzon membership (which would entitle you to some free tickets), which costs just £50 if you just want two free tickets (as well as no booking fee) - £300+ if you want any more!

Well, I got a decent seat - until a fellow sat to my left, who looked ok, smartly dressed and all that. But it soon became apparent that he emitted a most dreadful whiff. O my! Well, I'm not usually a prude about such things, but really, I literally had to hold my nose several times. And then he turned out to be a wriggler - the sort that shakes the whole row periodically. And, towards the end of the film, he started chewing his nails! You could hear him.. O, how I'd have liked to physically restrain his hands. I could imagine myself doing it, too..

And so to the film! The story concerns an Iranian man who is married to a French woman, Ann-Marie, but left, and is now returning to France so they can finalise their divorce. Not that he needed to be there in person, but, as he explains in the course of the film, he wanted to end things amicably with her, and say goodbye to her daughters, to whom he was very close. One is a teenager, with something more than the usual teenage angst. One is still quite little.

Well, the complications ensue as soon as he arrives. First, his case goes missing. Then he discovers, quite by accident, that his soon-to-be-ex is seeing someone else. Which she swears she told him in an email, but he claims he never got any emails from her. Anyway. Then he discovers the new guy's wife is in a coma, and the guy is living with Ann-Marie, as is his little boy. And believe me, that's only the beginning.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - a better director for films about human relationships you will not find. This poor chap's problems are so manifold that he actually accuses her, during the film, of arranging things to make sure he was in the middle of everything again. And his old friend advises him to just cut and run.

So, what's the essential message of the film? The past, of course, and particularly, how we interpret it. How we might have misinterpreted it, and how it impacts on our lives today. I'm not going to give away any plot points, but this is a very thought-provoking film. Not on general release yet - try and see it when it is.

Right! Well, believe it or not, my whole week is organised from now on. And we have:
All this activity in and around Limerick is highly unusual. As I mentioned today, it's like being in London. Probably something to do with Limerick being City of Culture. Good to see they finally got their act together, after all the infighting..!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline, this sounds like an interesting film! Glad it had resonance with you. It's great when a film explores the delicacies of relationships. I adore foreign films. I have a good collection of Spanish and Italian dvds, I wish I could expand it further..You are so lucky in London, I guess. You write wonderful film reviews! Your good friend Ann Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks! Yes, I did enjoy it. You know, it's on at the IFI and the Lighthouse in Dublin from Friday.. check out http://entertainment.ie/cinema/display.asp?UserLocation=10&film_title=The-Past&vid=&submit=Search

      PS Sent Laura your blog link, she says you're a v good writer. C

      Delete
  2. Hi Caroline, thanks, it's fun alright this blogging, more time consuming than I thought however but for a good cause one would hope! :) Glad Laura likes it, spread the word. AM xx

    ReplyDelete