Monday 10 March 2014

Play: Being Shakespeare

Got to a play tonight again, at last - Being Shakespeare, with Simon Callow. They didn't need to tell me any more than that - I was hooked! It had the disadvantage of being in the Harold Pinter Theatre, but forewarned is forearmed, and I knew to get a stalls seat that wasn't behind a pillar. Upstairs, the legroom isn't sufficient for a midget. Got a half-price ticket with LoveTheatre (no booking fee), and off we go. Never book with the Harold Pinter direct if you have a choice - this theatre is not famous for cut-price seats.

As usual, I was rushing. Made it to Piccadilly Circus in decent time, and, again as usual, immediately got lost. Note: when looking for the Haymarket exit, look first for the Shaftesbury Avenue exit, it's the same one. Then you're faced with a choice of "Haymarket" or "Eros". Even when you're headed for Haymarket, as I was, you're better off taking the Eros exit - otherwise, you'll have to climb up through Cool Britannia souvenir shop, which might not really add to your evening. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but if you're in a hurry.. There was a chap in a Union Jack outfit, boogieing and waving little Union Jacks at the front door. Sadly, my phone was at home charging, so no pictures.

Then it's round by the horse fountain, hang a right down Haymarket, first left, and it's on your right. I charged through the door as the two-minute announcement came. The nice chap at the box office didn't trouble either of us by asking for ID, and I climbed downstairs to the stalls (at this theatre, dress circle is at lobby level). There was some confusion at my row when I arrived, as a trio of Spanish-speaking individuals had just arrived at the same time, to find a couple of guys in suits in their seats. Seems they had noticed the theatre wasn't very full, and decided to sit in front of where they were supposed to be, so as not to trouble the elderly gentleman at the end of their row. Anyway.. I was just inside them, so there was a little game of musical chairs, as the suits took their rightful places and I slipped in before the Spanish-speakers.

The besuited people were musing, just before the show started, what a pity it was that it wasn't better attended, with him only having 23 performances in total. I have to say, I agree. I think the stalls were about 2/3 full. There were some people in the dress circle, but I can't vouch for how many. All in all, it wasn't a very inspiring attendance. I also wondered what the Spanish-speakers would make of the show..

The All the World's a Stage monologue from As You Like It started the play, and wove its way through it. Basically, it's a one-man show, with the rather excellent Simon Callow portraying the life of William Shakespeare by means of some of his characters, and extracts from his plays. Which is an absolute delight for anyone who loves Shakespeare. Those little gems of quotes are delightful - from Much Ado About Nothing, from Romeo and Juliet, from Julius Caesar, from Macbeth, from Henry V, from Hamlet, from King Lear.. among others. And brilliantly staged, with the minimum of props - just a wooden sword, a paper crown, and some chairs, really - but with great sound and lighting effects.

And of course, Simon Callow. It is such a pleasure to hear a good actor deliver these lines, and he does so with aplomb. And as for the Spanish speakers? Well, I had just identified a line from King Lear when the Spanish-speaking lady beside me murmured the name "King Lear" as well. Ok, she knows her Shakespeare.. The show runs until Saturday. Try to see it, if you like your Shakespeare well delivered..

Lovely golden Labrador on the Tube home, looking at us all with sad eyes until he fell asleep. Tomorrow, last I checked, it was looking like another play! Season must have started again. Anyway, it's Visitors, at the Arcola - all the way on the other side of town, but what the hey. On Wednesday, I was amazed to finally get a ticket to The Hotel Plays! Three short Tennessee Williams plays - different ones to those I was at last - staged in a set of hotel rooms. Every show I've checked for this has been sold out, and it finishes on Saturday as well. I consider myself lucky. On Thursday - well, I might just go see Hard Façade at the Water Rats, given that two of the members work in my office and half the office is going. Then I'm in Ireland - for a long weekend this time, given that it's Patrick's Day on Monday and I've decided to take couple of days off, flying back to London on Tuesday night. Could do with the rest, by that stage, I reckon..

No comments:

Post a Comment