Thursday 20 March 2014

Musical: Urinetown

I've seen the posters for Urinetown for some time now, so was well aware of its existence. Despite not being enamoured of the name, I was willing to consider it when Time Out recommended it, and was glad to hear that they were impressed. So I decided to tick it off my list. There had been plenty of ticket offers, but no cheap offers were still available for tonight, so I went with the venue website. Now, it's at the St James Theatre, whose legroom I find snug (I'm 5'6). So I always insist on an aisle seat there, and I managed to get one, although not in the cheap back row.

When I picked up my ticket this evening, I decided to give the girl at the box office a break and drop my R. You see, there's an R in my postcode, and they always ask for your postcode here, instead of ID. And when I pronounce my rs, they never know what I'm saying. So I dropped the R this evening, and no bother was had. (Won't be making a habit of it, though!) Just after I collected my ticket, they opened the theatre - handy, as I was beginning to wonder where to put myself! So I was one of the first in. And took care going down the long flight of steps - I've seen plenty of people stumble on these before. Took my seat, swung slightly to the side, and was comfortable. Apart from having to get up several times to let people in - the disadvantage of an aisle seat.

I noticed pretty quickly that there were two levels on stage, and that, in the second row from the front, and at the side, as I was, I could hardly see the upper level. Which was annoying, given that, in general, seats in this theatre never have a restricted view, and the only seats listed as having a restricted view for this performance were in the very back row. Hmph. Anyway, although I did miss some of the action, it didn't impair my enjoyment too much. The middle of the theatre would have been better for this show, it did occur to me.

We entered the theatre 20 minutes before the start, and about 10 minutes later, the (unseen) band started up. And the man who turned out to be the narrator wandered out on stage, looking for all the world like my last boss (only chunkier), and reading a tome on manipulation of the masses. Or something. And wandered vaguely about until start time, when he put on the rest of his costume and launched into his role.

So, what's it all about? Well, at some unspecified time in the future, there has been a terrible drought, and the people have little water left. So water is privatised, and people no longer have the right to their own toilets - they must pay, and handsomely, to use public ones. Public urination (or defecation) on the side of the road etc. is illegal, and punishable - as is use of the facilities without paying - by deportation to "Urinetown". In the midst of all this misery, we have a love story between the assistant curator (or whatever his job title is) of "Public Amenity No. 9" and a lovely young woman, who looks a bit like Princess Kate (but not nearly as tall - so it's not she, despite Buckingham Palace being right across the road), and turns out to be the only daughter of the tyrant who runs the company that controls the water.

Is any of this starting to sound a bit ludicrous yet? Don't worry, it's supposed to be! This musical is firmly tongue in cheek. I didn't know quite what to make of it at first, but right from the start, the excellent production values are apparent. The singing is great, the choreography is well thought out and as funny as the rest (what I could see of it, from the side). And it is FUNNY! I had no idea I'd enjoy it as much as I did! It's absolutely hilarious! It sends itself up so much you can hardly keep track. There's a little girl character, to whom the narrator keeps explaining plot points, and the structure of the musical. Some of the musical numbers are real show-stoppers, and for one of these in particular, as rapturous applause tears through the theatre, the performers stand on stage, transfixed for several minutes, holding rictus grins, as if to acknowledge that yes, this is a Show Stopper. Accept the applause. Milk it.

Only problem with all this talk of peeing is that, by the interval, we were all desperate to use the (free) facilities. At least I was close to them. Or, at least, to the sign for them! I haven't been to the toilet here before, and it's a bit of a warren. But once you've passed through the door that's marked PRIVATE on the other side, and clambered over the ushers, sat on the floor, there they are. Complete with ads for - em - London Loo Tours. You get a discount for quoting "Urinetown", it seems. Pity the hand dryers didn't work. My intermission adventure ended with one of those insanely expensive ice creams they sell at these things - well, I was hungry! And I was sat at the side they always sell at - he was right in front of me! Wotcha gonna do?!

The evening ended with a well deserved, universal, standing ovation. For once, I don't think a single person stayed sitting as they took their bows. And this in what was for this theatre, for the various times I've been in it, the first completely full house I've ever seen! Show HIGHLY recommended. Booking also recommended - a day in advance should be fine, longer if you care about where you sit. Runs until 3 May.

Tomorrow is Shadowland, a Sadlers Wells production that incorporates shadow into dance performances. Well, tonight will take some following! We shall see. Interestingly, Google Maps advises me to take the Tube and walk. That's new for them - for this theatre, they generally recommend buses. Well, whatever..

No comments:

Post a Comment