Thursday 20 April 2023

Talk: Arab & Islamic Roots of Europe's Architecture

This evening, I was with TAC for a talk on Arab & Islamic Roots of Europe's Architecture, at St. Mary Magdalene Church. Or Grand Junction Arts Centre, as it's also known. The weather promised rain - it didn't look like it, but sure enough, when I got out it was drizzling. And as I waited for the bus in the cold and damp, I bemoaned the fact that O' Neill's has changed their menu - if they hadn't dropped the chicken katsu, I'd definitely have been eating there, instead of standing outside and shivering..

After that bus, I could walk for a quarter of an hour - but this was hardly the weather for it, so I waited for another bus. And while I did, I was entertained by yet another loud-mouthed Irish bus passenger! This one was sat at the stop, regaling someone about Christ. Oh, I don't know when I last heard such an extended sermon, especially as the first bus was full and I had to wait for the next.. I didn't get a good look at him, so I'm not sure whether he got on the bus when it came, but I must say, if he did, he seemed to have said his piece - there was no sermonising from then on.

I'd identified a gastropub - The Waterway - near the venue - right across the canal, in fact (this is Little Venice, it's packed with canals). Got a table without trouble - I chose to sit inside, frozen as I was after my journey! I was glad to see the nearby bridge, and the spire on the other side of the canal - I was only a hop, skip and jump from where I needed to be! and speed was of the essence, as with the delay with the buses, it was now within an hour of the start. Outside, mind you, was popular with people with pooches:


I ended up choosing the garlic roasted half chicken, which comes with chips. And a large glass of sauvignon blanc - they actually have carafes too, but that'd be the equivalent of two glasses, and since it was exactly twice the price, there was no saving. And since I was in a hurry, less was more.. I have to say, service was swift. However, I also have to say, the chicken was obviously on a diet.. I could have done with more. The chips were lovely, the chicken not bad - but it occurred to me that I'd have gotten more food, and tastier, at Nando's. Plus loyalty points. I shall remember that in future.. Predictably, they were invisible when it came time to pay. I could probably have legged it - instead, I put on my coat and stood by the till until someone noticed I existed. Happily, when he did finally give me the bill, it came with a couple of chocolates..

And so to the church / arts centre. There's a canalside, cafe entrance, but it looked kind of deserted, so I headed for the other side. Where I came across someone with a checklist, who directed me upstairs, to the main body of the church. Where they had drinks! Lovely - I had another wine. Cheaper. And chose a seat near the front - seating was open.



It's a lovely old building - and, as we were to discover, the perfect setting for this talk, one of the Islamic influences she was talking about being the Gothic style of architecture, and in particular, the pointed arch! She was promoting her book - Stealing from the Saracens - and pointed out that this was the word that Europeans used for Muslims up to the the 17th Century. And funnily enough, it actually derives from an Arabic word meaning "to steal"..

Well, I never expected such a fascinating talk. The main thrust of it was that, during the Dark Ages, Europe lost the knowledge of the Classical world, but the Arabs didn't - they retained this knowledge, and built on it. So, by the High Middle Ages, if you wanted fancy, pointed arches in your buildings, the only people with that knowhow were Arab architects! Ironic, really, as this knowledge was generally used to build churches and other Christian religious institutions.. I loved her anecdote about how the Abbé Suger made sure to have himself included in the stained glass windows of Saint Denis, but not the actual architects!

But wow, if Arabs were responsible for the origins of Gothic architecture, that leads to so many things.. of course you would expect their influence around the Mediterranean, and she showed us fascinating examples of what she was talking about, from the Mezquita of Córdoba, and from Venice. One of the more surprising revelations from the talk was, possibly, the confession of Christopher Wren about how much he owed to "Saracen" architecture! Indeed, the cover of her book is a shot of the interior of the dome of St. Paul's. Now, there's a thought.. I determined to buy a copy of her book, but checked out the prices on Amazon - and lo, although her (signed) hardback copy was cheaper than theirs, the Kindle version was a lot cheaper again. And easier to carry. So I've bought that. No sign of it downloading for me yet, though! They suggest I restart..

Tomorrow, it's back to Ireland for the weekend. Checking films for the weekend - and what I might actually enjoy, and is on as a matinée - I came up with Barber, an Irish PI thriller, starring Aidan Gillen as the PI, with, of all people, Liam Carney as the cop in charge! Jeez, it's going to be hard for me not to think of him as the lothario building developer in Fair City! This is showing in the Omniplex, so I've booked, which is handier.

Well, from a week with no Meetups to one with nothing else! On Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for The Secret Life of Bees, at the Almeida - no seats left in the stalls, when I booked! Seatplan made me wary of the cheapest seats, so I'm in the next bracket up..

On Tuesday, back with Over 40 Living the Life, for dinner at the Greenwich Yacht Club again. Well, it was good last time - good food, cheap prices, good company. Five of us going so far..

On Wednesday, I was thinking film again - finally got the film list (partially) done, and couldn't see anything better coming up than what's advertised by The London Movie Club and The Hideout: Horror Sci-Fi Club London! both of which I'm a member of. And both of which, it transpires, are run by the same people! So I've signed up with the Hideout. Specifically, what's happening is Alien Day - a special double bill of the classic, Alien, and its sequel, Aliens, at the BFI Imax! See, the first planet where the aliens land is named LV-426.. So, you know, 26th of the 4th.. Now, I've never even been to the Imax, so this'll be interesting! Also good to meet these folks again - apparently, there'll be a break between films as well.

And next Thursday, Helen's in town for a conference - we're going to try to coordinate meeting for dinner, before I head off to join UITCS again, for The Good Person of Szechwan, by Brecht, at the Lyric Hammersmith

No comments:

Post a Comment