Tuesday 4 April 2023

Play: The Unfriend

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for The Unfriend, in The Criterion Theatre. A comedy about a British family that befriend an American lady while on holiday over there, and agree to keep in touch. Now she's on a plane over to see them - and they've discovered a terrible secret about her! How to they get rid of her - politely..? Sounded excellent. My though, I had terrible trouble trying to find a decent seat - everything left that was cheap seemed to be behind a pillar! and they aren't small pillars, as I discovered thanks to Seatplan. I finally plumped for something in the back row of the Dress Circle, where the pillars are thinner. We were texted a link to our tickets, five hours before start time.. which, as well as preventing scalping, is handy for finding them at the last minute!

Wow, it's over six years since I was last here - but I hadn't forgotten that there are tons of places to eat. Having a look at what was available, I booked a table at the Angus Steakhouse for 6. Had a couple of options for buses - and as I approached, I saw, damnit, I'd just missed one. Nearly didn't make it at all, mind you - as I crossed at the zebra crossing, all the cars were stopped in a traffic jam anyway: but as I stepped onto the crossing, gazing at the bus I wasn't going to make, I heard an expletive to my right. Which was just as well, because it made me pause - at which point, a b****y cyclist sailed past me, at speed, not an inch from my face. No intention of stopping at a pedestrian crossing, of course.

Well, another bus was along in just a minute, literally. I then had to change buses, which involved me crossing both ways at a large junction. I waited for the pedestrian lights to turn green - and, sure enough, as I crossed, had to navigate a whole fleet of cyclists, cycling illegally in all directions. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - BAN CYCLISTS IN CENTRAL LONDON!! They're a danger to pedestrians, too many of them not bothering with rules of the road, and absolutely no enforcement. Sick to the hind teeth of them.

In other bus news, we had fun when a tourist family, without much English, and with a pushchair, got on - at the back, because that was the closest door to them! and then had to push forward through the aisle, past people blocking the way, to where they could park the buggy. Ah well, you live and learn..

Saw my first ever Ramadan decorations!

And so to the Steakhouse, where I arrived early, and was seated immediately. Brief panic when I couldn't find my phone, which wasn't in any pocket, or in the outside pouches of my bag - I finally found it on the seat, where it must have fallen out of my coat pocket! Jeez, that was scarier than the cyclist..

But anyway, service was quick and faultless - I remember the first time I was here, when it was a very different story. For starter, I asked what the soup was - had to ask him twice, because it sounded exactly like "liquid potato"! I passed, given the "potato" part, later figuring out that it was probably "leek and potato". 

By the time of my original booking, I had ordered, and been served my starter. Poor guy didn't realise there was a drink as well, though, until I told him - at which point, he looked for guidance to the waiter who had taken the order, who pointed to the drink sitting on the bar, which the guy who'd brought the starter then fetched. Too many people doing too many disconnected tasks.. there was someone different again to bring my main, and another person to clear up. And not enough communication among them all, I think..

The starter consisted of four moreish southern fried chicken goujons, which came with a mayo dip and were gorgeous. For main - well, I just had to have steak. I actually don't that often, even in a steakhouse - but I felt like it today. The smallest is 8oz, which does me just fine - I later saw someone served a massive chunk, and I really don't know how she managed it. So, the "Angus cut" is cooked medium by default - although he did check - and I didn't bother with a sauce; I don't think a good steak needs it. I had onion rings and skinny fries with it - and polished the whole lot off, and it was all terrific.. was given the bill in good time, and took myself off to meet the others.

This theatre is completely in the basement.. and it's a beautiful building!

One quibble - there's very little signposting! I had to ask for the bar, and I'm not sure there was even a sign for the Dress Circle, where I was sitting - later, there was no signposting at all for the toilets! which turned out to be on the other side of the Dress Circle, conveniently for me. The Stalls Bar, where we met, is a poky little place too, although service is friendly and the drinks are cheaper than usual. And we chatted until it was time to go in.

So, as Seatplan indicated, the view isn't too restricted - and legroom is ok, with a large pillar just to my side, which I could lean against, as well as pop my stuff on the floor in front of.

The opening scene, as you can probably tell, takes place on the deck of a cruise ship, where we meet the English couple and their new BFF. Soon, however, the backdrop parts, and the rest of the play takes place in their home - a twin-level set, with a small kitchen and larger living room downstairs, and stairs leading up to a second level, which they enter under the roof of the painted front of the house:

Yes, it's very good! The interplay between the casual friendliness of the American, and the stilted awkwardness of the English family, is beautifully done. I also loved the "passive-agressive" neighbour who keeps dropping by to complain about things, and the gradual unravelling of the English couple is a delight to behold. Yep, a most enjoyable play - runs till the 16th.

As we made our way out, I could hear cheering - of course, I'd forgotten we were right on Piccadilly Circus! where, at that point, there was some line dancing..


Terrific atmosphere, as ever - and what a lovely, mild evening! It was great to stay and chat to people for a while.. despite everything else I have to do. And on the way home, I got to look out the window, from the safety of the bus, at a Deliveroo cyclist, speeding up the pavement in Aldwych..

Tomorrow, back with the Horror Book Club, at the Prince of Wales in Drury Lane, as usual. And wow, this month's book is a doozy - House of Leaves is a massive tome, which I started reading years ago and never did get finished. I couldn't find that copy, so ended up buying it again - but am I finding the time to read it? Well, I'm doing my best, and it is a cracking read. Here's hoping I get it finished in time, as it's quite dense.. Now up to 323 pages through a nearly 700-page story.. Thank goodness for the unconventional publishing style, where some pages have hardly anything on them!

On Thursday, with a bank holiday next day, flying back to Ireland. Aer Lingus, because I left it too late to book with Ryanair, and the evening flights were gone. Now, I have an old friend, Vicki, in Cork, whom I usually go down to see once a year, staying the night - usually at Christmas, but she was too busy for me last Christmas. So we've arranged for me to go and stay next Tuesday, coming back the next day. Now, that realistically means I can't fly to London before the 13th - but with nothing unmissable on the 14th, I'm flying back that day instead. I finally got my holiday request in - as the boss says, let's see what we get done this week.. Well, if I am denied the holiday, I'll just have to take the laptop with me. Which could get interesting, as I'd have to have it on in the car on the road to Cork..

I definitely have to be back for the 15th though, when I'm booked on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! This one is A City built by a Genius - Wren's London. And as of now, he's scheduling walks I haven't done for days I can make them! Very cool.. because I do love his walks. And lunches.

Now, my boss suggested - quite a while ago - that we might have a jaunt to the head office in Tel Aviv on the 16th! I hadn't heard anything since, though - so I finally asked him. He confirmed that it won't be until at least next month now - wants to get the latest release out. So I'll be in London that week. However, there isn't honestly much coming up on Meetup - so, for the 19th, I've booked For Black Boys Who Have Considered Suicide.. at the Apollo. I have a front-row seat in the Dress Circle - now, I seem to remember ridiculously tight legroom, here - so I'm at the end of a row, and Seatplan says it'll be OK if I lean forward..

On the 20th, I'm with TAC for a talk on Arab & Islamic Roots of Europe's Architecture, at St. Mary Magdalene Church.

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend. On the 24th, back with UITCS for The Secret Life of Bees, at the Almeida - no seats left in the stalls! Seatplan made me wary of the cheapest seats, so I'm in the next bracket up..

And on the 25th, back with Over 40 Living the Life, for dinner at the Greenwich Yacht Club again. Well, it was good last time - good food, cheap prices, good company. Three of us going so far - I'm sure there'll be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment