Friday 7 April 2023

Play: The Examination

Well, made it back to Ireland. Aer Lingus, because I left it too late to book with Ryanair, and the evening flights were gone. And I have to say, for all that I had to pay a ridiculous amount, the experience was so much better. Heathrow is quicker to get to than Stansted if you use the Heathrow Express, and the departure lounge is so much more relaxed and comfortable - ergonomic seats are a joy, everyone is so much more relaxed, and the layout isn't half as intimidating. As for Aer Lingus - funnily enough, no-one checked my passport until customs in Ireland; electronic gates sped up boarding, and the seats are oh, so much more comfortable - leather rather than plastic. I slept most of the way - definitely needed it. Plus the aircon worked much better! and the staff were friendlier. Oh, and there was no delay - Ryanair can never match that.It was also lovely to have checked in my case (for free) and not have to drag it around with me.

For this evening, I booked a play called The Examination at the Lime Tree Theatre. Happily, they texted me a link to my ticket today.. always handy. So, off to Limerick with me - a bit early, so I could shop for a tv beforehand; the tv in my mother's kitchen broke, and the one she brought down from her bedroom is really a bit small. We needed a 24'' - I checked Argos before I left, but unfortunately they didn't have one at that branch. Well, I never anticipated such trouble finding a 24'' tv - I tried Tesco first, but they didn't have anything under 32'', which wouldn't fit. Then a few more places that I thought might do tvs, but didn't. Finally, Google Maps suggested Soundstore. I'd never been there before - took me two passes through Limerick's business parks before I found it, and then I had to go around again, because I'd passed the entrance and couldn't turn around.

At first, I thought they didn't have what I wanted - then I spied the smaller tvs, snuggled to the side, and two that fit the bill. I caught the attention of a salesman - he asked when I wanted it for, because the cheaper one, they'd have to order. (You what?!) Which meant nobody could work on it till Tuesday, Monday being a bank holiday, and so I wouldn't get it until Wednesday or Thursday. Eh, no thanks.. so I plumped for the more expensive one, in which case he was prepared to sell me the display model, as they were discontinuing the line. He discounted it slightly, it being the display model. They had to dig for the box in the back, mind - and here was I, willing them to hurry, because I was in danger of missing my play. Google Maps proved my saviour, however, finding me a really direct route there (and hallelujah, traffic was light!), and I arrived with five minutes to spare. No time for the bar, sadly - and actually, I was parched..

They don't seem to be selling the front row for this production, and I was one of a small number who sat in the second row - dead centre:


That white structure to the left is generally used as a screen, on which numerous projections are displayed over the course of the show. First on stage - is a gorilla. Who turns out to be a guy in a gorilla suit. Then we have a chap in a regular suit, who addresses us as though we are attending a lecture. The guy dressed as a gorilla gradually sheds some of his suit, which must be a relief, as I've always heard these are very hot, and indeed you'd expect it, being so thick and hairy..

In short, this is about the Irish prison system. The chap with the mic, giving the lecture, begins with a nod to phrenology, the idea that you can determine personality traits given the shape of the head. He focuses particularly on criminal tendencies, and displays a photograph - of the guy in the gorilla suit, as it turns out. Of course, it's no accident that he's in a gorilla suit - he's being portrayed as an animal, and although the guy with the mic seems friendly, and invites the "gorilla" to relate what are apparently real-life accounts of prison life, as the play progresses, it becomes more and more obvious that he's got a reactionary attitude to prisoners. And we discover the reason for this, near the end. As for the "gorilla", as he sheds more and more of his costume, he seems to become more and more vocal, defending himself as a prisoner, and defending others whose accounts he relates. 

It's consistently hard-hitting - the guy with the mic represents a common attitude among the middle classes, a dismissal of prisoners, a disparaging attitude towards their complaints, and a real rage about the perceived injustice of mollycoddling criminals while their victims are left to sink or swim. The prisoner in the gorilla suit, however, has real horror stories to tell. Apparently, a serious amount of research went into this, and it paid off. But it is hard-hitting, so be warned. Showing again tomorrow (Saturday) night. Oh, and a soundtrack of Bowie! So, something to enjoy among the grittiness. 

Now, my mother is doing quite well in allowing me out in the evenings - obviously because I'm back for an extended period. Which might mean I can get to the cinema tomorrow. Top of a short list is The Pope's Exorcist, which stars Russell Crowe as the real-life Fr. Gabriele Amorth. Looks ok - and I'm rather more convinced by a review I found than by the clip on the IMDB page.. as he says, the best thing about it is Russell Crowe, whose first horror film this is! The review, BTW, is quite decent, if a little repetitive - could have done with some editing. But he sounds like he knows his stuff. Says that, apart from Russell Crowe being in it, it's quite a bog-standard horror - with good effects. Anyway, we shall see.. earliest showing is in the Omniplex.


Now, I have an old friend, Vicki, in Cork, whom I usually go down to see once a year, staying the night - usually at Christmas, but she was too busy for me last Christmas. So we've arranged for me to go and stay on Tuesday, coming back on Wednesday. Now, that realistically means I can't fly to London before Thursday - but with nothing unmissable next Friday, I'm flying back that day instead. I checked on my holiday request, and it looked approved..

On Thursday, I might think of Plan 75, showing at the Belltable as part of the Japanese Film Festival - people aged 75 or older are given the option of assisted suicide, with free burial, and a $1000 grant to do with as they please..

I definitely have to be back in London for the 15th though, when I'm booked on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! This one is A City built by a Genius - Wren's London. And as of now, he's scheduling walks I haven't done for days I can make them! Very cool.. because I do love his walks. And lunches.

Now, my boss suggested - quite a while ago - that we might have a jaunt to the head office in Tel Aviv on the 16th! I hadn't heard anything since, though - so I finally asked him. He confirmed that it won't be until at least next month now - wants to get the latest release out. So I'll be in London that week. However, there isn't honestly much coming up on Meetup - so, for the 19th, I've booked For Black Boys Who Have Considered Suicide.. at the Apollo. I have a front-row seat in the Dress Circle - now, I seem to remember ridiculously tight legroom, here - so I'm at the end of a row, and Seatplan says it'll be OK if I lean forward..

On the 20th, I'm with TAC for a talk on Arab & Islamic Roots of Europe's Architecture, at St. Mary Magdalene Church.

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend. On the 24th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for The Secret Life of Bees, at the Almeida - no seats left in the stalls! Seatplan made me wary of the cheapest seats, so I'm in the next bracket up..

And on the 25th, back with Over 40 Living the Life, for dinner at the Greenwich Yacht Club again. Well, it was good last time - good food, cheap prices, good company. Three of us going so far - I'm sure there'll be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment