Wednesday 5 April 2023

Book Club: House of Leaves

Tonight, back with the Horror Book Club, at the Prince of Wales in Drury Lane, as usual. And wow, this month's book was a doozy - House of Leaves is a massive tome, which I started reading years ago and never did get finished. At least I don't think so.. for some reason, practically nothing of it stayed with me. But we are talking years back. I couldn't find that copy, so ended up buying it again - but did I find the time to read it? Well, I did my best, and it is a cracking read. I finally managed 370 pages of a nearly 700-page story - which does include the index, to be fair.. Thank goodness for the unconventional publishing style, where some pages have hardly anything on them!

Thank goodness also that I had a slightly later start than lately, given that I didn't have to eat beforehand, but could eat there - my life is way too busy these days. And of the three cyclists that I saw cycling illegally on the way, well, at least none of them were in danger of running me over, for once. So anyway, when I arrived, I ordered straight away - and we had a slightly late start anyway, in case of latecomers. Of 39 people who responded on the page, 20 decided they weren't coming, and of the 19 who still said they were, we only had nine. Just as well we didn't have anything urgent on that required us to know numbers, eh?

With impeccable timing, my dinner arrived slightly before my turn to give my assessment of the book. Ah well, it did go down well in the end - I see they give you a choice of chips or mash now! And it comes with peas - which I didn't have a choice over, but which came as I'd have ordered (non-mushy).

And so to the book. I do love the central premise of a house with hidden dimensions - and if that were the main content of the book, I'd have been happy! Sadly, it isn't - the extensive footnotes include the story of the guy supposedly transcribing the story, one Johnny Truant. Who comes across as an unreliable narrator, to begin with - and indeed, an unpleasant person to be around. Or certainly, his associates are. And the problem is, just as things might be ramping up in the main story - well gee, we're deflected back to him again! I found it very irritating. And, in general, the consensus seemed to be that people were more interested in the story of the house itself. Which would have made the book an awful lot shorter, had I stuck to that! Well anyway, I think we were all pretty fascinated by that story - much less so with Johnny Truant. You have been advised.. An enjoyable evening was had discussing it, though.

Tomorrow, with a bank holiday next day, flying back to Ireland. Aer Lingus, because I left it too late to book with Ryanair, and the evening flights were gone. For Friday, I've booked a play called The Examination at the Lime Tree Theatre.


On Monday, I might head to the cinema - The Pope's Exorcist stars Russell Crowe as the real-life Fr. Gabriele Amorth. Showing all over, so Ennis would be the choice.

Now, I have an old friend, Vicki, in Cork, whom I usually go down to see once a year, staying the night - usually at Christmas, but she was too busy for me last Christmas. So we've arranged for me to go and stay on Tuesday, coming back next Wednesday. Now, that realistically means I can't fly to London before the 13th - but with nothing unmissable on the 14th, I'm flying back that day instead. I finally got my holiday request in - as the boss says, let's see what we get done this week.. Well, if I am denied the holiday, I'll just have to take the laptop with me. Which could get interesting, as I'd have to have it on in the car on the road to Cork..

On the 13th, I might think of Plan 75, showing at the Belltable as part of the Japanese Film Festival - people aged 75 or older are given the option of assisted suicide, with free burial, and a $1000 grant to do with as they please..

I definitely have to be back for the 15th though, when I'm booked on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! This one is A City built by a Genius - Wren's London. And as of now, he's scheduling walks I haven't done for days I can make them! Very cool.. because I do love his walks. And lunches.

Now, my boss suggested - quite a while ago - that we might have a jaunt to the head office in Tel Aviv on the 16th! I hadn't heard anything since, though - so I finally asked him. He confirmed that it won't be until at least next month now - wants to get the latest release out. So I'll be in London that week. However, there isn't honestly much coming up on Meetup - so, for the 19th, I've booked For Black Boys Who Have Considered Suicide.. at the Apollo. I have a front-row seat in the Dress Circle - now, I seem to remember ridiculously tight legroom, here - so I'm at the end of a row, and Seatplan says it'll be OK if I lean forward..

On the 20th, I'm with TAC for a talk on Arab & Islamic Roots of Europe's Architecture, at St. Mary Magdalene Church.

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend. On the 24th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for The Secret Life of Bees, at the Almeida - no seats left in the stalls! Seatplan made me wary of the cheapest seats, so I'm in the next bracket up..

And on the 25th, back with Over 40 Living the Life, for dinner at the Greenwich Yacht Club again. Well, it was good last time - good food, cheap prices, good company. Three of us going so far - I'm sure there'll be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment