Saturday 1 April 2023

Pub: The Lucas Arms

I hadn't booked anything for today. And wouldn't you know it, Ivan cried off sick - I don't really think it was the sausages, he had a sick stomach when he arrived. Martin, however, did put in an appearance - and, as he pointed out, since I wasn't suffering from the same thing, it mustn't be contagious. Sad though, how I can never seem to get more than one of these people in the room at the same time! So, I said, let's head to The Lucas Arms again - it's the closest place to me where I can eat - which both of us needed to do.

I had a look at booking a table - earliest time available was 7.45, which was just about right, as he'd said he'd be leaving around 6.30. I arrived first, bought a bottle of wine - he was a little late, but he had to come a bit of a distance. We ordered pretty fast - I'd checked, and the kitchen closes at 9 (officially, although I did see a table near us, served after that). I had my usual - he had the bbq chicken, which I've had before at the Museum Tavern, also a Greene King pub, and know to be yummy.

And we consumed the wine - when we were finished, the nice lady removed the bottle. And, in a couple of minutes, reappeared with another bottle, which we hadn't asked for, looking a bit coy.. man, the service is good here! Well, we consumed that as well, by closing time - ah yes, we'll be back. And how interesting it is to note the difference in conversation between tonight and last night - I won't go into the gory details, but different strokes for different folks. And as I showed Martin a quicker way back to the station, the talk turned to horror. Which I can't really discuss with many people.. Nice ending to the second of two excellent evenings. Now, as I say, if I could only get everyone in the same room more often..

Tomorrow, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for Orpheus Dismembered, at the British Museum, courtesy of Ben Haggarty. The event there that I'd already heard of. And gee, eatery of choice down there is the Museum Tavern! Hmm..

Monday is film, so I was waiting for the film listings - and I was delighted with what came up. Top of the list was Tetris, would you believe! Now, this is a game I used to love - and it seems it also has an interesting backstory! The chameleon-like Taron Egerton plays the American businessman who wants the rights, but it seems the inventor is actually a programmer in Soviet Russia. Cue lots of Cold War-style intrigue - right when the USSR was collapsing, in 1989. So, also looking forward to sights and sounds I remember from then! Also stars Toby Jones. Seems the real story wasn't quite as exciting as depicted - but you know what they say about not letting the truth get in the way of a good story! Anyway, the trailer looks fantastic. Streaming on Apple TV+, if you have it.. In cinemas, it seems to be exclusively in the Everyman - not all of them though, and the closest showing to me is in the Screen on the Green. I'm too damn interested not to see this.

And then its rating fell. :-( Now, top of the list is Mrs. Chatterjee Vs. Norway - based on the true story of an Indian woman, living in Norway, whose children were taken into care. Differences in perceptions of how children should be raised, apparently. Only showing in Cineworld Wood Green at a time I can manage - but do you know, I'd much rather watch Tetris. Watch this space..

Tuesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for The Unfriend, in The Criterion Theatre. A comedy about a British family that befriend an American lady while on holiday over there, and agree to keep in touch. Now she's on a plane over to see them - and they've discovered a terrible secret about her! How to they get rid of her - politely..? Sounds excellent. My though, I had terrible trouble trying to find a decent seat - everything left that was cheap seemed to be behind a pillar! and they aren't small pillars, as I discovered thanks to Seatplan. I finally plumped for something in the back row of the Dress Circle, where the pillars are thinner. Hey, you never know, I might be upgraded..

On Wednesday, back with the Horror Book Club, at the Prince of Wales in Drury Lane, as usual. And wow, this month's book is a doozy - House of Leaves is a massive tome, which I started reading years ago and never did get finished. I couldn't find that copy, so ended up buying it again - but am I finding the time to read it? Well, I'm doing my best, and it is a cracking read. Here's hoping I get it finished in time, as it's quite dense.. I'm still only under 150 pages through a nearly 700-page story..

On Thursday, with a bank holiday next day, flying back to Ireland. Aer Lingus, because I left it too late to book with Ryanair, and the evening flights were gone. Now, I have an old friend, Vicki, in Cork, whom I usually go down to see once a year, staying the night - usually at Christmas, but she was too busy for me last Christmas. So we've arranged for me to go and stay on the 11th this year, coming back the next day. Now, that realistically means I can't fly to London before the 13th - but with nothing unmissable on the 14th, I'm flying back that day instead. I finally got my holiday request in - no word yet.. Well, if I am denied the holiday, I'll just have to take the laptop with me. Which could get interesting, as I'd have to have it on in the car on the road to Cork..

I definitely have to be back for the 15th though, when I'm booked on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! This one is A City built by a Genius - Wren's London. And as of now, he's scheduling walks I haven't done for days I can make them! Very cool.. because I do love his walks. And lunches.

Now, my boss suggested - quite a while ago - that we might have a jaunt to the head office in Tel Aviv on the 16th! I hadn't heard anything since, though - so I asked him today. He did happen to be online, and confirmed that it won't be until at least next month now - wants to get the latest release out. So I'll be in London. However, there isn't honestly much coming up on Meetup - so, for the 19th, I've booked For Black Boys Who Have Considered Suicide.. at the Apollo. I have a front-row seat in the Dress Circle - now, I seem to remember ridiculously tight legroom, here - so I'm at the end of a row, and Seatplan says it'll be OK if I lean forward..

On the 20th, I'm with TAC for a talk on Arab & Islamic Roots of Europe's Architecture, at St. Mary Magdalene Church.

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend. On the 24th, back with UITCS for The Secret Life of Bees, at the Almeida - no seats left in the stalls! Seatplan made me wary of the cheapest seats, so I'm in the next bracket up..

And on the 25th, back with Over 40 Living the Life, for dinner at the Greenwich Yacht Club again. Well, it was good last time - good food, cheap prices, good company. Three of us going so far - I'm sure there'll be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment