Sunday 9 April 2023

Concert: Scott Bradlees Postmodern Jukebox

Tonight, I was at a concert at the University Concert Hall, Limerick - Dolans Presents Scott Bradlees Postmodern Jukebox. Ate before I left the house, made it to the concert hall in good time, got a decent parking space. The hall was already open, so I took my seat - I'd managed to get one at the end of the third row - so, at the edge, but close to the stage:


I wasn't sure what exactly to expect from this - what we got was a jazz band, with jazz covers of pop classics. Terrific singers, I have to say - including the MC:


There was a great tap dancer, too. Several outfit changes for all the main performers. One of the singers, with an American accent, explained how this was a special performance for her, as her grannie was from Limerick, and this was her first time there! Standout performances of the night, however, were from a plump little lady that we were told was Mexican - and who had the most incredible voice! Her solos of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and Creep by Radiohead  - which closed the show - brought the audience to its feet. Truly special. Apparently this was the first stop on their European tour - excellent show, I have to say! Glad I caught them.

Tomorrow, the very last decent thing on locally in mainstream cinema is God's Creatures, at the Omniplex again, in which Emily Watson plays Paul Mescal's mother, in an isolated fishing village - sounds Irish, by the accents - where she finds herself lying for him. Which has repercussions..

Now, I have an old friend, Vicki, in Cork, whom I usually go down to see once a year, staying the night - usually at Christmas, but she was too busy for me last Christmas. So we've arranged for me to go and stay on Tuesday, coming back on Wednesday. (Just when the first storm of the season is predicted to hit! Typical.) Now, that realistically means I can't fly to London before Thursday - but with nothing unmissable on Friday, I'm flying back that day instead. I checked on my holiday request, and it looked approved..

On Thursday, I might think of Plan 75, showing at the Belltable as part of the Japanese Film Festival - people aged 75 or older are given the option of assisted suicide, with free burial, and a $1000 grant to do with as they please.

I definitely have to be back in London for Saturday though, when I'm booked on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! This one is A City built by a Genius - Wren's London. And as of now, he's scheduling walks I haven't done for days I can make them! Very cool.. because I do love his walks. And lunches.

Now, my boss suggested - quite a while ago - that we might have a jaunt to the head office in Tel Aviv next Sunday! I hadn't heard anything since, though - so I finally asked him. He confirmed that it won't be until at least next month now - wants to get the latest release out. (Just as well really, with all the unrest over there.) So I'll be in London that week. And in fact, that day, I finally found something good to do - London Herstory Guided Walks is doing Movers & Shakers of Marylebone! Great to be back with Mandy again.

However, there isn't honestly much coming up on Meetup - so, for the 19th, I've booked For Black Boys Who Have Considered Suicide.. at the Apollo. I have a front-row seat in the Dress Circle - now, I seem to remember ridiculously tight legroom, here - so I'm at the end of a row, and Seatplan says it'll be OK if I lean forward..

On the 20th, I'm with TAC for a talk on Arab & Islamic Roots of Europe's Architecture, at St. Mary Magdalene Church.

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend. On the 24th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for The Secret Life of Bees, at the Almeida - no seats left in the stalls! Seatplan made me wary of the cheapest seats, so I'm in the next bracket up..

And on the 25th, back with Over 40 Living the Life, for dinner at the Greenwich Yacht Club again. Well, it was good last time - good food, cheap prices, good company. Three of us going so far - I'm sure there'll be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment