Tuesday 3 January 2023

Film: Aftersun

I flew back yesterday - after some drama with Aer Lingus' woeful website / app. It's constantly giving trouble - I must have tried 10 times before it'd let me check in online! When I tried the chat function (guaranteed to provide a response 24/7), it was nearly eight hours before anyone responded.. by which stage, I'd managed it myself! Come on guys, could do better..!

Well, what a sight, flying over London, though - it even silenced the hyperactive youngster sitting in front of me!


..to be followed by a half-hour wait for my bag once we landed. Now, given the weight of said bag, I was delighted not to be carrying it up and down aircraft steps, as I would have done with Ryanair - but still..

On my way home, I passed O' Neill's - where I could see diners in the upstairs dining area. I really fancied eating there, but wanted to take my (heavy) bag home first, especially if I ended up having to go upstairs at O' Neill's! So that's what I did, and bravely set out again. And lo, for the first time in months, I got a table downstairs! Faster service, better atmosphere - and wow, did that chicken katsu taste good! Ah, it's good to be back.

Today, I again thought of film. Top of the list that I was interested in was Aftersun, in which a woman remembers her childhood holiday with her father, played by Paul Mescal. It's getting terrific reviews, and was showing in Ireland, some time ago - when it had competition from other films, and tended to be on too late for me. And over Christmas, when I had nothing to see..! it was gone. In London, the closest showing to me was supposed to be in the Curzon Camden.

Well, the showing there wasn't until 9.30 - but I was hungry, and had shopping to do, so I took myself off after work to the Brunswick Centre - as I needed some shopping from there, specifically. The pavement is quite slick, after rain all day today - I stepped aside so a fellow in a wheelchair could go careering off down the slippery ramp! I swear, I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd gone "wheee.."! Anyway, my route took me past the Curzon Bloomsbury - my local cinema. And it occurred to me that I'd seen this film advertised there before. So I had a look at the sign on front - and it was still up there! The poster was also in the window. No film times, though - so I checked online, and sure enough, it WAS showing there! Within half an hour, too! No mention on that listings site, which I swear gets worse and worse.. A quick recalculation saw me decide to leave eating, which I'd been planning to do first, and shopping, till after, and just head straight in to the film.

Well, I say I left the eating - I did treat myself to the usual, moreish honeycomb bites. The staff behind the till were so under-occupied that two of them presented the lady who was serving me with the honeycomb bites she'd requested! She took what one offered, and sent the other off to get the sauvignon blanc I'd asked for as well. And I used what I think was my last free cinema ticket..

I'd asked for a seat dead centre - unlike the branch in Camden, this one was nearly sold out! I had to guess when the cinema was ready to enter - just sat on a sofa by the door, eating and drinking, until the cleaner came out and someone else went in. Handily, the one who preceded me was the only person sat inside of me..

Whew. So, this is a good film. It reminds me of Baghdaddy, only insofar as it achieves what I felt that play singularly failed to do - it evokes a woman's memories of a time with her father when she was little. This film does it so, so well.. the visuals are perfect, starting off fragmented, a collage of memories of a holiday the two of them had in Turkey. When the visuals resolve - well, it's stunning. Beautiful views, beautiful, twilight evenings - oh, how nostalgic it'd make you for a sun holiday.. But they're on a package deal - and remind me of everything I hate about those! The rep who's just been reassigned from a different country, the hotel that's not quite as described - building works every day, and one bed for both, although he'd specifically requested a twin room. The twee entertainment every night.

Now, this is a very young dad - he's supposed to be 30 in the film, she's supposed to be 11. So, you know, he's great fun! although his "dad moves" do embarrass her. But he's up for snorkelling, water polo, playing pool - he does draw the line at paragliding, says she's too young. Teaches her tai chi, even. Gives her a sip of his beer. But he's ever-keen to ensure she has adequate sunscreen, and knows self-defence, and they even have a father-daughter coming-of-age chat.

Still, there's a dark undercurrent - he has quiet moments that hint at something under the surface, and we learn how he's divorced, not currently in a relationship, and never actually thought he'd get to this age. The director bides her time - most of the film is a bright and sunny exploration for this girl who's not quite yet a teenager; it isn't until the holiday comes close to ending that her dad lets his sunny side slip, and we get a glimpse of what's underneath. And it is, honestly, heartbreaking. Of course, you're in safe hands with Paul Mescal.

I also noted the use of silence, which I love so much when it's done well - and it's done brilliantly here: silence in the sense of no dialogue, for much of the film - just people splashing in water, laughter, music - a great soundtrack, too. The dialogue, when it does occur, is meaningful - some of the Scottish accents are tricky, mind. The ending is vague - we're not quite sure where the father goes at the end of this holiday, and we aren't told. But that's as it should be - this is a memory of a time and place, and stands alone. Memorable. Stunning.

Ate afterwards in Gourmet Burger Kitchen, just across the centre - where they had onion rings, which (again!) arrived so in advance of the burger that I'd eaten half of them by the time it came! but I was very well fed. A small panic ensued when she tried to take my glass, which still had a smidgeon of wine in it.. and BTW, the toilet was blocked, and when I used the disabled toilet instead, the lock didn't close properly, and someone nearly walked in on me.. You have been warned..

Tomorrow, back with the London Horror Book Club - for an actual book club meeting! I finally bit the bullet and got around to reading what I was supposed to for this (just finished it, in fact) - specifically, The Silent Companions, by Laura Purcell. Happily, it's a short one - and the free Kindle sample I got from Amazon covered about 1/3 of it! So, was doable - it's a Gothic novel, in which a young lady, newly widowed, comes to her late husband's brooding family estate for the first time. Set in the late 19th century, it keeps referring back to the supposed origin of the mystery that unfolds, in the 1600s. Anyway, our discussion will be in the Prince of Wales, quite close to me. This group also obligingly holds an online version of all their in-person Meetups, on the day after!

On Thursday, I'm with a new group - Shanty Singers Colliers Wood - who seem to exist to advertise free shanty singing concerts. That night, it's in The William Morris. Should be fun!

On Friday, I've finally booked for The Sex Party, at the Menier Chocolate Factory. My goodness, it's so long since I was last there, I couldn't remember my username, and had to ring them! (CT were advertising cheap tickets, but had sold out.)

On Saturday, back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londonersyay! This time, it's The Mysterious Square Mile Walking Tour.. lunch afterwards, natch. I just hope this stormy weather has cleared up by then..

On Sunday, headed with Cultureseekers to the "Executions" exhibition at the Museum of London Docklands. Should be nicely atmospheric.

And on Monday, Up in the Cheap Seats are headed to Mandela, a musical at the Young Vic. Unfortunately, I was way too late for a cheap ticket - but then I noticed that someone attending couldn't make it, and had advertised two tickets for anyone who wanted - much cheaper than what I could get elsewhere. Front row, too! One ticket had gone - I messaged her, and yay, I got the other! Well, they won't email it to her until a couple of days beforehand, at which point I'll get it..

No comments:

Post a Comment