Monday 9 January 2023

Musical: Mandela

TonightUp in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) headed to Mandela, a musical at the Young Vic. Unfortunately, I was way too late for a cheap ticket - but then I noticed that someone attending couldn't make it, and had advertised two tickets for anyone who wanted - much cheaper than what I could get elsewhere. Front row, too! One ticket had gone - I messaged her, and yay, I got the other! She sent them through when they arrived on Saturday, and I agreed with the other guy who should take which! Now, someone did contact the group to mention that she had been attending on Saturday, and the second half was cancelled due to illness - so I hoped that'd been sorted out..

Well, chance'd be a fine thing. Late this evening (and many people complained about the lateness), the theatre was in touch to say this'd be a stripped-down, "concert" production - we'd get all the songs and dialogue, but not the sets, or the whole production. Fully 2/3 of the group dropped out, rescheduling to other dates - six of us ended up going, in the end. Looking for somewhere to eat, I saw Olivelli's, across the road - well now, it was ages since I'd had Italian. So I booked.

Just about managed to leave the house in time - work was unusually chaotic. I think everyone lives in slight dread of the CEO, who always wants things done five minutes ago. Anyway, I banged off a document and scarpered, just making the bus in time - arrived at the restaurant 10 minutes early. And I was glad I'd booked - I might have beaten the rush, but most tables had "Reserved" signs, and had I not booked, I might have had trouble. As it was, I got a table near the staff cloakroom.. when a couple of ladies sat at the table next to me, one of the waiters moved my table a bit away for me, to give them some space. It's snug.

OMG though, it could not have been more delicious. I had calamari for a starter, with tartare sauce - lovely. I had veal with a truffle and mushroom sauce for main - divine. And a glass of sauvignon blanc that was so nice, I had another. Service throughout was both prompt and friendly - they could give lessons. Not cheap - but definitely memorable.

By the time I'd finished, the organiser was messaging to say he'd arrived at the theatre and got a seat - I joined him when I'd finished. And as the others arrived, a convivial chat was had before it was time to go in. I was in the front row:


So, this "concert" version consisted of the cast ranged in an arc of chairs across the stage. A few seats, for the principals, had music stands in front of them - as the story progressed, various characters rose from their seats to speak, or sing - or dance. The orchestra was unseen. Mind you, we didn't get the whole cast either - a notice at the door explained the substitutions that were being made for some roles - including Mandela himself.

The songs are terrific, the singing beautiful. I think the dancing caught everyone's imagination - and of the four, suited, white men sat at the end throughout, to represent white authority, it was lovely when one of them joined in the African dancing at the end. As one of the group remarked, if we had a true picture of the music and dialogue, this is very music-heavy!

It is, in fact, very politics-lite. My education about apartheid started with watching Cry Freedom.. and while it's easy, now, to brush over it, since we know it did come to an end - it was terrifying then, to think of what was going on there, had been for decades, and showed no sign of coming to an end. State violence isn't so easy to overcome, and the Soweto massacre, so lightly covered in this, was as horrific an example as you're likely to find, in which schoolchildren protested having to learn Afrikaans in school, which they saw as the oppressors' language. The police, not taking kindly to this, killed hundreds.

Tonight, however, we had as little involvement with that as Mandela did, stuck on Robben Island as he was. No, the real star of the show was the music and dance, and it was hugely enjoyable. The show runs till the 4th, although in what form is hard to say. But either way, it's worth a look!

Tomorrow, thinking film again - the listings site was typically slow last week, but had some info for this week. But given my experience on Tuesday - when it hadn't even included listings for my local cinema - I checked what was on there tomorrow as well. And lo, I came up with some not yet listed at all at that stage on the listings site.. highest rated is a documentary - Crows are White tells the story of a rather unusual Buddhist monk, who'd rather listen to heavy metal than birdsong..

On Wednesday, heading to Comedy in your Eye, at the Camden Eye. Tickets from Design my Night, including a free drink.

On Thursday - my first Crick Crack Club (CCC) event of the year! Online, but never mind - it's Nick Hennessy, at the Story Museum, performing The Kalevala. I think I remember hearing that he's the only non-Finnish person ever to win their competition to recite this! So, really looking forward to it.

Then, of course, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.. film is looking like A Man Called Otto, which suits just fine! Based on the Swedish comedy, A Man Called Ove, it stars Tom Hanks as an old grump whose wife has just died, but who meets his match in the fiesty young family that moves in next door. And, interestingly, its IMDB rating just keeps rising.. Showing in Ennis, handily.

Next Monday, back with UITCS for The Art of Illusion, at Hampstead Theatre. Award-winning, it seems..

On the 17th, I'm headed to Chicago Blues Explosion in the January Blues Festival at the 100 Club. Just a shame their early bird tickets were sold out.

On the 18th, with TAC for a classical concert at King's Place (nice and close). This is the Kirckman Society for young artists, presenting Connaught Brass.

On the 19th, Ken's Green Walks for Health (aka Ken's Events, to those of us who know it from before) is off to see the Winter Lights at Canary Wharf. Now, I wouldn't go with them in a fit - but there's nothing to stop me seeing the lights myself for free, eh? I don't see the point in paying Ken £5 to lead a group around..

On the 20th (a Friday, unusually), back with Watkin's Bookshop for a book launch. This is Fifty Forgotten Books by R. B. Russell. Occult theme, as usual. Let's see whether I can avoid falling asleep this time!

On the 21st, back at King's Place - this time it's the CCC, with Stories in the Dark. Told in darkness, by the sound of it - sounds divine!

On the 22nd, back with Cultureseekers for the Hieroglyphs: Unlocking Ancient Egypt exhibition at the British Museum. Assuming it's not curtailed due to transport strikes - there is a warning on the museum website that galleries might have to close early!

On the 23rd, I've finally booked for Best of Enemies at the Noel Coward Theatre. This play concerns a series of debates on US television between liberal writer Gore Vidal and conservative William F. Buckley in 1968 - the interesting twist here, given the time and place we're talking about, is to cast William Buckley as black! Had my own seat review on Seatplan to guide me in picking a seat - this is one of those restricted view/legroom theatres. And despite all the theatre offers flooding my inbox, I found the cheapest tickets for this on the official website! Mind you, what with See Tickets doing the selling, I found myself with a second, unexplained, booking fee..

For the next week or so, it's all UITCS! On the 24th, for some reason, I hadn't seen their advertised event to see Orlando, based on the book by Virginia Woolf, and showing at the Garrick. For this, however, I found the cheapest tickets from Official London Theatre (OLT).

On the 25th, we're off to see John Bishop at the Leicester Square Theatre. Love him, so I booked as soon as I saw this advertised - one of the few things for this month that I booked last month! Not that it seems to be selling out..

On the 26th, we're off to The Vaults Festival - specifically, The Welsh Lxdies, a bilingual show about the women of Wales. Then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 30th, we're heading to Noises Off, starring Felicity Kendal, at the Phoenix. Again, cheapest tickets from OLT.

On the 31st, with a group I haven't joined in a Very Long Time - I'm back with London Dramatic Art, from whom I've got a front-row ticket for Sylvia, at The Old Vic; this is the story of Sylvia Pankhurst, and stars the excellent Beverley Knight. Completely sold out - this was my only way to get a ticket!

On the 1st, back with the Horror Book Club - Lordy, that means I need to read a book! :-) I suppose I can use my flights for that. This time, it's The Ballad of Black Tom, based on the Lovecraft story, The Horror at Red Hook, but told from the perspective of a black man. Which means I should really read that, too.. Nice, I'd like to get back to some Lovecraft! In the Prince of Wales, Covent Garden again. Question is, will the kitchen be open..?

On the 2nd, I'm on my own for My Son's a Queer (but what can you do?), a musical at the Ambassadors Theatre.

On the 3rd, my first meeting of the year with London Classical Music and Theatre Group! We're off to Wigmore Hall, to listen to the Hagen Quartet play Mozart. They're Austrian, so that's appropriate.. I just need to remember not to drink the ultra-expensive sauvignon blanc!

On the 4th, well, Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners are back to Greenwich again. Now, I have been there with him before.. not sure how "new" this one will be, but hey, it was a great day last time!

On the 5th, nothing on Meetup appeals massively at the moment - I might go for a walk along the Ken's Events route, if I feel like it! (on my own). Or Over 40 Living the Life has just advertised a walk along the New River.. I'll have to see, as I have to pay to sign up (refunds given to those who then come). And I might well change my mind..

On the 6th, my first actual event with that group. We're off to How Not to Drown at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East - the first event of theirs for which I couldn't get a cheaper ticket! So I decided, if I couldn't beat them, I might as well join them. True story of an unaccompanied, 11-year-old asylum seeker.

On the 7th, excited to be headed to see Derren Brown in Showman, at the Apollo Shaftesbury Avenue. Cheapest tickets with OLT again.

On the 8th, off to The Lehman Trilogy, at the Gillian Lynne Theatre. Based on the true story of the bank that collapsed. Got the last £39.50 ticket!

On the 9th of next month, back with UITCS for Winner's Curse, at the Park Theatre - an interactive show about a peace negotiation. And then I'm back to Ireland again.

And on the 13th of next month, I'm headed to Allegiance, starring George Takei in a musical based on the true story of his internment in an American internment camp during the Second World War. Showing at the Charing Cross Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment