Tuesday 31 January 2023

Musical: Sylvia

Tonight, with a group I haven't joined in a Very Long Time - I was back with London Dramatic Art, from whom I got a front of stalls ticket for Sylvia, at The Old Vic; this is the story (in song) of Sylvia Pankhurst, and stars the excellent Beverley Knight. Completely sold out - this was my only way to get a ticket! Must remember not to post the link to my blog, to their page - they banned me from doing that, after discovering I was advertising cheap ticket resellers!

My go-to eatery for The Old Vic is The Duke of Sussex - however, from their website, it looked as though they were booked out. (On a Tuesday!) So I thought of Caprini's - but they don't have real-time availability, so I said I'd schlep up and see. As I walked back from the bus stop, though, I passed The Thames Indian Restaurant - and it occurred to me that I'd rather an Indian meal, which I hadn't had in a while, than the huge portions they serve at Caprini's. So, in I went.

Honestly, I was a bit dubious - I was the only customer. But I was shown to a table, and sat on the sofa, back against the wall. I was very glad he'd given me the end table, across from the coffee machine - because the whole of the opposite wall is taken up with a mirror - designed, of course, to maximise the feeling of space in what is a cramped area. Opposite the coffee machine, I didn't have to stare at my reflection..

I had a couple of poppadoms to start - they didn't have any starters I fancied, so I just had butter chicken and peshwari naan, two of my favourites. I also asked for lemon (!) rice - never heard of that before. Well, the chicken was lovely, the rice interesting - definitely lemony. The naan was indifferent, and I didn't finish it. The house white, the only wine available by the glass, was gorgeous, though: really full-bodied. So, I was decently fed.

Scurried down to the theatre - to find everyone else in the group was late. We were meeting in the Dress Circle bar, where I ordered a sauvignon blanc and managed to get a table by the window with sufficient chairs. Was wondering where everyone was, after a while, though.. the organiser eventually happened along, and wow, was that a blast from the past! Chatting, we discovered that I'd gone through four new jobs and four new flats since I'd seen her last! Another old acquaintance from the group was in town, and brought his friend, and his wife to say hi - the first time I'd met her. But we didn't have long until showtime.

And so we rushed downstairs - we were all in the Stalls, but there isn't any seating in the Stalls bar. The organiser had bought our tickets, and WhatsApped screenshots of them to us - would you believe, the scanner wouldn't accept them! We had to go back to the box office and get printouts - and it was at that point that I realised I didn't have my bag.. ran back upstairs, and yes, they had it behind the bar. It was fun, trying to think if something in there that I could easily identify.. got it back in due course, and took my seat.


Well now, in short, this is simply marvellous. My fellow group member - the one who's usually out of town - was critical of the first half, thought their act was tighter in the second. I'm not contradicting him that the second half was great - I just didn't feel as critical of the first half. Anyway, the soundtrack is a mix of hip-hop, ballads - whatever works to tell this emotive story. There's a constant, catchy beat, the outfits are lovely - and it's surprisingly moving. Case in point, the last scene of the first half, when the suffragettes are standing in a line, opposing police and singing - and one by one, they go down, as the police (standing on a ledge behind them onstage, miming) strike them - virtually. I've never seen anything quite like that, and it's most effective. Throughout, also, the fantastic dance routines - in fact, they all take a turn, during the curtain call, to show off their moves!

Really highly recommended - I'm not surprised it sold out, nor at the standing ovation. Runs till the 1st of April - book it! There are few better shows, right now.

Afterwards, we wanted to catch up - I suggested the basement bar, which stays open longer. Sure enough, the cast came in there after a while, too! And we had a good catch-up - who knows how long it'll be again, though? But it was a great night. Followed by a cold journey home..

Tomorrow, back with the Horror Book Club. Turns out that guy from tonight's group knows them! This time, it's The Ballad of Black Tom, based on the Lovecraft story, The Horror at Red Hook, but told from the perspective of a black man. I managed to get through the club's book, and read the entirety of the story it's based on, which is much shorter - and less coherent. Again, the meeting is in the Prince of Wales, Covent Garden. Question is, will the kitchen be open..?

On Thursday, I'm on my own for My Son's a Queer (but what can you do?), a musical at the Ambassadors Theatre.

On Friday, my first meeting of the year with London Classical Music and Theatre Group! We're off to Wigmore Hall, to listen to the Hagen Quartet play Mozart. They're Austrian, so that's appropriate.. I just need to remember not to drink the ultra-expensive sauvignon blanc! Meeting my sometime dinner companion beforehand, down the road at Olivelli.

On Saturday, well, Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners are back to Greenwich again. Now, I have been there with him before.. not sure how "new" this one will be, but hey, it was a great day last time! Meeting Ivan that evening.. somewhere..

On Sunday, nothing on Meetup appealed massively - I thought I might go for a walk along the Ken's Events route, if I feel like it! (on my own). Or Over 40 Living the Life has advertised a walk along the New River.. I'd have to see, as I have to pay to sign up (refunds given to those who then come). And I might well change my mind.. which I finally did, when Free Stuff and Free Events advertised a blues concert at the Earl of Chatham, Woolwich. It's a way out, is all - but then, it's free, if I wanted to cancel. And.. now I have, because London Herstory Guided Walks! has finally advertised a walk I can go on. I was recommended this group by someone a while ago - they run guided walks with a female theme. Sunday's is Deeds Not Words! Suffragettes, Spies, & Warrior Queens. Delighted to be able to go on one of theirs, at last - they're usually on during working hours. Only thing is, they don't specify how to pay - cash on the day, I'm guessing, as they don't take payment on booking.

On Monday, my first actual event with the Over 40s. We're off to How Not to Drown at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East - the first event of theirs for which I couldn't get a cheaper ticket! So I decided, if I couldn't beat them, I might as well join them. True story of an unaccompanied, 11-year-old asylum seeker.

Next Tuesday, excited to be headed to see Derren Brown in Showman, at the Apollo Shaftesbury Avenue. Cheapest tickets with Official London Theatre again.

On the 8th, off to The Lehman Trilogy, at the Gillian Lynne Theatre. Based on the true story of the bank that collapsed. Got the last £39.50 ticket!

On the 9th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Winner's Curse, at the Park Theatre - an interactive show about a peace negotiation. Turns out North London Friends are headed to it the same night - what, are they now copying this group, as another group did some time ago? (since closed down). And then I'm back to Ireland again.

And on the 13th, I'm headed to Allegiance, starring George Takei in a musical based on the true story of his time in an American internment camp during the Second World War. Showing at the Charing Cross Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment