Thursday 26 January 2023

Play: The Welsh Lxdies

Tonight, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) were off to The Vaults Festival - specifically, The Welsh Lxdies, a bilingual show about the women of Wales. My sometime companion from this group is in town, and fancied doing something, so agreed to come to this - she suggested food, and I looked for what was around. There are plenty of places, you understand - but getting one a few hours in advance, on a Thursday, isn't always easy.. I would have gone for The Archduke, but it had nothing at the right time. So we went to a steakhouse called Black and Blue. Turns out it's the same chain!

Handily, my bus passed right outside, so I knew where I was. Surprisingly, given that the place was quite busy, I was given a booth! Which would have seated four. Ah, the luxury of space.. She arrived right after I did. We had a very nice bottle of South African chenin blanc - I had chicken skewers to start, with some lovely dips. Very nearly too much food, actually.. but I managed. She hadn't wanted a starter to begin with, but after mine came, she changed her mind, and went for a dish on the cocktail menu - nachos with an artichoke dip. She liked the dip, I think, if not the nachos - I never did like them, myself.

For mains, I thought about not having steak - but it's been too long since I had one, and I knew they'd be lovely, here. So I had a sirloin - she had chicken. Both plates were cleared - my steak was divine. And now that I know it's the same chain as The Archduke, I'm not surprised. We also got a complementary salad, to share - perhaps it'd been left over? Anyway, I also liked how the chips were done, nicely crispy and just the right amount of salt. In the truest sense of the word, I felt restored, after what was a drudge of a day, chasing people for information about council tax. Only quibble was the nonexistent WiFi..

Well, it was but a short walk to Leake Street..


Happily, as the lady on the door said, they don't check your actual ticket, but instead just check off your name. Because, what with everything else today, I simply hadn't had time to download my ticket beforehand, and reception down here is iffy at best. Our organiser had messaged us though, to say they were in the Leakey Bar.


It wasn't long before the house opened, and we trotted across the hall. Seating is on upholstered, rough wood benches - not the most comfortable, I have to say. A guy at the end had a camera on a tripod, and also seemed to be filming it on his phone..? Dunno why the double recording, but whatever.

Four women took part - one explained at the end that one had just earlier come down with food poisoning, and there was another they couldn't get funding for. Never mind, they set to it with gusto.. This is basically a peep into the lives of different Welsh women. We hear audio footage of someone describing what it's like to be Jewish and Welsh, or of Indian extraction and Welsh.. but we also get sketches in classrooms, or among teenage girls discussing sexuality. There's a bit of chatter in a bar. There's some lovely music and singing. They even produce a couple of Welsh cakes..

There were a few problems with the production. They need to turn down the volume of the audio when people are speaking - they were very hard to hear! When sat on the floor, they were equally hard to see. And a couple of long tracts, completely in Welsh, left the non-Welsh speakers among us bemused! I expected to hear Welsh, but not so much in a row that I'd have no idea what was going on..

It's interesting, and well-written. With a couple of tweaks, it'd be a very good show! Also runs tomorrow, if you're around.

Afterwards, I had no idea which end to leave by - but it didn't matter much, there are buses everywhere!

Tomorrow, back to Ireland for the weekend again. With partial film listings finally out for there, it's looking like The Fabelmans, in Ennis - an autobiographical tale from Stephen Spielberg, about how he got into filmmaking.

On Monday, we're heading to Noises Off, starring Felicity Kendal, at the Phoenix. Again, cheapest tickets from Official London Theatre (OLT).

On Tuesday, with a group I haven't joined in a Very Long Time - I'm back with London Dramatic Art, from whom I've got a front-row ticket for Sylvia, at The Old Vic; this is the story of Sylvia Pankhurst, and stars the excellent Beverley Knight. Completely sold out - this was my only way to get a ticket!

On Wednesday, back with the Horror Book Club. This time, it's The Ballad of Black Tom, based on the Lovecraft story, The Horror at Red Hook, but told from the perspective of a black man. I managed to get through the club's book, and read the entirety of the story it's based on, which is much shorter - and less coherent. Again, the meeting is in the Prince of Wales, Covent Garden. Question is, will the kitchen be open..?

Next Thursday, I'm on my own for My Son's a Queer (but what can you do?), a musical at the Ambassadors Theatre.

On the 3rd, my first meeting of the year with London Classical Music and Theatre Group! We're off to Wigmore Hall, to listen to the Hagen Quartet play Mozart. They're Austrian, so that's appropriate.. I just need to remember not to drink the ultra-expensive sauvignon blanc!

On the 4th, well, Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners are back to Greenwich again. Now, I have been there with him before.. not sure how "new" this one will be, but hey, it was a great day last time! Indeed, that evening might be the time to meet Ivan - and our coworker, if he's recovered, by then, from the jetlag he'll suffer from the trip to India he's currently on!

On the 5th, nothing on Meetup appealed massively - I thought I might go for a walk along the Ken's Events route, if I feel like it! (on my own). Or Over 40 Living the Life has advertised a walk along the New River.. I'd have to see, as I have to pay to sign up (refunds given to those who then come). And I might well change my mind.. which I finally have, now that Free Stuff and Free Events has advertised a blues concert at the Earl of Chatham, Woolwich. It's a way out, is all - but then, it's free, if I want to cancel.

On the 6th, my first actual event with the Over 40s. We're off to How Not to Drown at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East - the first event of theirs for which I couldn't get a cheaper ticket! So I decided, if I couldn't beat them, I might as well join them. True story of an unaccompanied, 11-year-old asylum seeker.

On the 7th, excited to be headed to see Derren Brown in Showman, at the Apollo Shaftesbury Avenue. Cheapest tickets with OLT again.

On the 8th, off to The Lehman Trilogy, at the Gillian Lynne Theatre. Based on the true story of the bank that collapsed. Got the last £39.50 ticket!

On the 9th, back with UITCS for Winner's Curse, at the Park Theatre - an interactive show about a peace negotiation. Turns out North London Friends are headed to it the same night - what, are they now copying this group, as another group did some time ago? (since closed down). And then I'm back to Ireland again.

And on the 13th, I'm headed to Allegiance, starring George Takei in a musical based on the true story of his time in an American internment camp during the Second World War. Showing at the Charing Cross Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment