Thursday 5 January 2023

Top Secret Comedy Club

Tonight, I was supposed to be with a new group - Shanty Singers Colliers Wood - who seem to exist to advertise free shanty singing concerts. Tonight, it was in The William Morris. But then I got an email from the Top Secret Comedy Club (TSCC), advertising tonight's bill - headlined by David McSavage! Hmm.. David McSavage, versus a trip all the way to Wimbledon on what turned out to be a drizzly night, in the end. I love David McSavage. There was no contest. I hadn't had to pay for the shanty singing anyway.

Now, the TSCC is quite close to where I was last night - so there was no way I was trying my luck at finding food around there. No, I'd be passing Gourmet Burger Kitchen, that wouldn't be full - and it'd do fine! Sure enough, I got seated no problem. Sure enough, they were out of onion rings again - I had French fries instead, and they were gorgeous! One of the servers recognised me from Tuesday, too. And I was done in time to walk the rest of the way to the TSCC. A nostalgic walk, taking me past the last real-life office I had.. As I approached the TSCC, I was unnerved to see a large queue: but this turned out to be for a restaurant nearby - Kangnam Pocha. Korean, it seems.. Gee, I guess they don't take reservations?

Less of a queue at TSCC, where our tickets were scanned and we got wrist stamps. Wow, it's a long time since I was last here - just over a year, in fact. And it was for him, again! I got to talk to him on that occasion - not tonight, though. But man, when the owner claims to have the cheapest drinks in the West End, he's not kidding! I guess the last time I paid so little for a glass of wine was when I was last here.. entering the show area, it was already packed. I didn't fancy squeezing past anyone to get to a seat, so when I saw a couple of free seats on the aisle, side-on to the stage, I grabbed one. Not too close to the stage, I hasten to add! I'm not completely crazy..


There were five performers - we started with Carl Donnelly, who gave us an entertaining account of travelling across London on TFL. He was followed, after a break, by Michelle de Swarte (somewhat crazy) and Ivo Graham (somewhat public school), then another break, and we had Ismael Loutfi, whose MO seemed to be to bait us with racial gags, then give us a beaming smile so we'd forgive him. The owner was MCing, as usual - he begged us to try out the toilets, which he said he'd renovated over lockdown - but just as entertaining as anyone on stage were the audience members to either side of it. On one side was a police officer (cue any number of jokes about the police), on the other - where I couldn't see - apparently a middle-aged Indian man and two younger Indian ladies. Who turned out to be his nieces, after much fun being had at his expense! Indeed, the young ladies seemed most keen to play their part, heckling constantly..

And so to the headliner, who came on wrapped in a scarf and brandishing a guitar. He hadn't apparently witnessed any of the banter with the audience, but the young Indian ladies were delighted to enlighten him! Naturally though, McSavage by name, savage by nature, as he tore through the audience. Watching David McSavage, it helps to be a masochist. But my, he has a wicked eye for observation.. as they say, it's funny 'coz it's true. No sacred cows here - prepare to feel insulted.

In fact, it wasn't a show for the fainthearted, with Ismael's racial jokes, Ivo banging on about drugs, and David McSavage on - everything. Not to mention the MC, who had a protracted gag about abortion. Definitely a venue for the sturdier comedy fan. The audience was well up for it though, tankards of beer passing by aplenty, pairs of audience members sharing bottles of wine. The MC, at the end, promised a free shot to anyone who gave the club a five-star review on Google.. Yeah, a good night! Caveat emptor, though. Oh, and I was delighted to get home before the rain turned really heavy..

Tomorrow, I've finally booked for The Sex Party, at the Menier Chocolate Factory. My goodness, it's so long since I was last there, I couldn't remember my username, and had to ring them! (CT were advertising cheap tickets, but had sold out.)

On Saturday, back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londonersyay! This time, it's The Mysterious Square Mile Walking Tour.. lunch afterwards, natch.

On Sunday, headed with Cultureseekers (CS) to the "Executions" exhibition at the Museum of London Docklands. Should be nicely atmospheric. The organiser was just in touch, encouraging me to take out full membership, as I'd been to so many events, and could get a discount. Yeah, but most of them were during lockdown, and were free! I don't think it'd be worth my while - I don't go to nearly as many events with this group now.

On Monday, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) are headed to Mandela, a musical at the Young Vic. Unfortunately, I was way too late for a cheap ticket - but then I noticed that someone attending couldn't make it, and had advertised two tickets for anyone who wanted - much cheaper than what I could get elsewhere. Front row, too! One ticket had gone - I messaged her, and yay, I got the other! Well, they won't email it to her until a couple of days beforehand, at which point I'll actually get it..

On Tuesday, thinking film again - the listings site is being typically slow, but has some info for next week. But given my experience on Tuesday - when it hadn't even included listings for my local cinema - I checked what was on there on Tuesday next week as well. And lo, I came up with some not yet listed at all on the listings site.. highest rated is a documentary - Crows are White tells the story of a rather unusual Buddhist monk, who'd rather listen to heavy metal than birdsong..

On Wednesday, heading to Comedy in your Eye, at the Camden Eye. Tickets from Design my Night, including a free drink.

On Thursday - my first Crick Crack Club (CCC) event of the year! Online, but never mind - it's Nick Hennessy, at the Story Museum, performing The Kalevala. I think I remember hearing that he's the only non-Finnish person ever to win their competition to recite this! So, really looking forward to it. Then, of course, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend..

On the 16th, back with UITCS for The Art of Illusion, at Hampstead Theatre. Award-winning, it seems..

On the 17th, I'm headed to Chicago Blues Explosion in the January Blues Festival at the 100 Club. Just a shame their early bird tickets were sold out.

On the 18th, with TAC for a classical concert at King's Place (nice and close). This is the Kirckman Society for young artists, presenting Connaught Brass.

On the 19th, Ken's Green Walks for Health (aka Ken's Events, to those of us who know it from before) is off to see the Winter Lights at Canary Wharf. Now, I wouldn't go with them in a fit - but there's nothing to stop me seeing the lights myself for free, eh? I don't see the point in paying Ken £5 to lead a group around..

On the 20th (a Friday, unusually), back with Watkin's Bookshop for a book launch. This is Fifty Forgotten Books by R. B. Russell. Occult theme, as usual. Let's see whether I can avoid falling asleep this time!

On the 21st, back at King's Place - this time it's the CCC, with Stories in the Dark. Told in darkness, by the sound of it - sounds divine!

On the 22nd, back with CS for the Hieroglyphs: Unlocking Ancient Egypt exhibition at the British Museum. Assuming it's not curtailed due to transport strikes - there is a warning on the museum website that galleries might have to close early!

And on the 23rd, I've finally booked for Best of Enemies at the Noel Coward Theatre. This play concerns a series of debates on US television between liberal writer Gore Vidal and conservative William F. Buckley in 1968 - the interesting twist here, given the time and place we're talking about, is to cast William Buckley as black! Had my own seat review on Seatplan to guide me in picking a seat - this is one of those restricted view/legroom theatres. And despite all the theatre offers flooding my inbox, I found the cheapest tickets for this on the official website!


No comments:

Post a Comment