Thursday 27 February 2020

Plays: Rough for Theatre II & Endgame

I was really looking forward to tonight, when we were off (Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again, with many of the same people as last night) to see Endgame, at the Old Vic. Double bill with Rough for Theatre II. I'm a huge Beckett fan. Stars Daniel Radcliffe and Alan Cumming.

Despite snow today, and freezing temperatures, I determined to walk there - and that's what I did. At least it was neither windy nor raining, at that point, and the snow had melted - but I was damn cold by the time I joined the group, outside the theatre. Even with the renovation, you can't really meet inside - it remains quite cramped. Especially for this show, which played to a packed house. With the cold, we headed in a little earlier than we otherwise might have. Now, I left it later than some to book - and by the time I did, the cheapest tickets left were in the rear stalls. How bad.. and the seat I had was nice n cheap because it was "behind a pillar":


Yup, I'll take being behind a pillar that doesn't obstruct my view of the stage at all! And how lovely to be in the stalls here, for once - if only to avoid all the stairs!

Rough for Theatre II starts the programme, with Daniel Radcliffe and Alan Cumming playing two civil servant-types, performing a sort of biographical analysis on a fellow who spends the play standing in a window that he's obviously about to jump out of. I hadn't actually ever seen this before, but know enough about Beckett to read up about the material before I see it. It helps. Because with Beckett, you don't get any exposition, hardly any plot, and any explanation that slips through is twisted enough to make you ponder. He makes you work for it - well, I love a challenge.

Not sure the others in tonight's group all felt the same! Several had never seen Beckett before, and didn't have a clue what to expect - well, weren't they in for a shock. As we discussed at the interval, which comes between the plays.

Endgame, naturally, was a bit of a marathon for some - me, I love this utterly bleak depiction of the desolation of old age / infirmity. And for both plays, I have to say, I loved the production - which brings out the humour very strongly. They play their parts superbly - Daniel Radcliffe, as Clov, is a revelation, after all the po-faced productions I've seen. If you love Beckett, this is an excellent production of it. If you hate Beckett, this won't change your opinion. Runs till the 28th of next month - highly recommended. For Beckett fans.

Freezing cold outside again - I was delighted to hop on a nice, warm bus home. Worth the torture of the few minutes I had to wait, trying not to turn into a block of ice!

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, again - checking my mother's electricity meter, which they persist in over-estimating the usage of. On Monday, back with Civilised London for another of those free jazz nights at Wilton's. This time, it's One Voice, One Cello & a Mad Belgian!

On Tuesday, back at Soho Theatre to see Dane Baptiste's comedy show, The Chocolate Chip.

On Wednesday, back with UITCS at Sadler's Wells for a collaboration between Crystal Pite and her company, Kidd Pivot, and Jonathon Young, on an adaptation of a Russian comic play, Revisor (The Inspector General).

And next Thursday, going to see Shoe Lady at the Royal Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment