Saturday 22 February 2020

Royal Opera House Backstage Tour

Today, I was back at the Opera House with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for a backstage tour! There's a group rate, but the group booked ages before I got interested. Still, when I suggested that I buy my own ticket and come along, they suggested I contact the box office to see whether I could be included on the group rate! So I did - and they said yes, and gave me a booking reference number, saying to ring with that number to pay by phone. So I did - and was speaking with a terribly nice chap, with a terribly posh voice, who was delighted to hear all this! And so I went, on the group rate.

I had my ticket in advance, of course - and just as well I remembered to bring it; e-ticketing hadn't been an option. Caught the bus there, early enough to grab something in the cafe beforehand. It's worth remembering that you get a 10% discount with a tour ticket, for the same day! So I had a hot chocolate - the weather's actually heated up a bit (I had a lighter coat on today), but that wind is chilly. Brandished my ticket, which he checked and thanked me profusely for showing him. You collect hot drinks around the side of the cafe. The chocolate itself was curiously malty, but not unpleasant - my though, their containers are terrifically heatproof! Mine was easily cool enough to hold - but I needn't have worried about the temperature of the hot chocolate; it was molten.

Turned out to be a busy day.. Dots Day in the Opera House is all about the little humans! We weren't to see a lot of them apart from at the beginning and end, though - we spent a lot of time in the backstage areas. But the cafe was busy.. and the "baby-wearing" ballet classes, downstairs in the lobby of the Linbury, seemed to be a big hit! (Yes, they were wearing babies - so, performing ballet complete with perplexed baby in carrier. With someone accompanying on piano.) Alternatively, you could let the kiddies loose on a giant chalkboard. Suitable for ages 5 and under.





Anyway, after I'd finished my chocolate (and someone was right along to clear away my glass), I had a look around for the new box office, where the group was to meet. Never actually been there, of course - I usually don't elect to pick up my tickets. Couldn't see it.. until I turned around. O yes, there it was, hiding along the entirety of one wall. Duh. With a long sofa opposite - so I deposited myself there, and waited for the others to arrive.

Which they did, in due course - the others had to get their tickets from the organiser anyway. But the tour was actually leaving from just in front of the cloakroom, on the other side of the cafe. They put a sign there to inform you of that. And maybe five minutes beforehand, our guide materialised with an armful of guest passes on yellow lanyards, which we had to wear for the duration. We were one person short - someone had messaged the organiser, right beforehand, to say she was en route but delayed. Well anyway, we started the tour in the old lobby - the one with the red carpet - and as we were about to head off from there, the organiser had a word with the guide to explain about the latecomer. Wouldn't you know it, at that moment, in she came, breathlessly, having found someone to guide her to where we were! Terrific timing - although had she been just a few minutes earlier, she might have caught us as we were leaving the cafe. What a difference a few minutes make.. apparently, today has been a bad day for the Tube, with a strike and other issues.

Aw, what she'd have missed! This is a fantastic tour - and as our guide explained, she's a student, does this part-time, and absolutely loves it. You simply wouldn't believe everything there is to see - and to hear about. It starts at the royal entrance - and we hear how Queen Victoria was a massive fan, came something like four times a week (I think she and I would have had much in common), and lobbied hard to get it rebuilt, when it burned down during her reign. We were at the foot of the stairs to the royal box - sadly, not accessible to the public. Sadly, also, photography is not permitted. Never mind, the tour continues to the "king's smoking room". Apparently set aside for Prince Albert - who wasn't as keen on the shows as his wife was, and came down here during performances for a nap on the sofa, before nipping upstairs again to wave at the crowd - it was later put to good use by their eldest son, Edward VII, who, with the help of some agreeable ladies of the stage, found another use for the sofa..

Ah, but there's more. We are led through a warren of passages, strictly instructed to hold the security doors open for each other, because our passes won't open them. We end up under the stage, backstage.. we heard lots of rehearsals, so had a beautiful musical backdrop to much of the tour. We have to take the lift, near the beginning of the tour - and wouldn't you know it, the big one seemed to be out of action, so not only did we have to split into two groups (with another Opera House employee shepherding one half), but our group, which went up second, took forever to get there! what with other people using the lift, and so on. By the time we did get up to Level 6 - where the ballet rehearsal rooms are - the first group up had had ages to stare through the soundproof window at three dancers, rehearsing inside. Not that our half didn't stay for long enough as well, as our guide explained to us the everyday trials of a ballet dancer, and people passed with tutus and so on.. Indeed, we were outside the rehearsal room windows for so long that the poor dancers on show must have wondered what we could be doing..

From there to the costume workshops, hearing how designers take such care with the costumes, even the bits that aren't going to be seen by the wider audience. And past enticing windows overlooking the backstage area - apparently seven times the size of the stage area, and packed with huge, evocative backdrops. And throughout, our guide was delighted to take questions, and we learned all sorts of interesting stuff. Like how opera productions are planned and cast five years in advance (three for ballet), so as to secure the services of artists who are much in demand. And how about 1000 people work in the Opera House, if you take everyone into account - 50 or so technicians etc. on each production. The building is colour-coded, so you know where you are - red for production, green for admin, and so on; we still hadn't a notion where we were at any point, until she deposited us, around the corner from where we started. Right outside the giftshop..

Absolutely fascinating, really highly recommended. I defy anyone to find a more intriguing backstage tour!

After much discussion, most people headed their ways - some were off to Death of England, anyway. Those of us who were left headed into Covent Garden Market, and ended up in Le Pain Quotidien, which had enough seating upstairs to accommodate us, and there's a choice of large or small plates. We had to wait a bit to be served - it was quite busy - but service was friendly, and the food was good. A couple of people had hot chocolates - essentially a cup of milk, accompanied by a little jug of thick chocolate sauce, which you add to taste! I must try that, some time. I had wine, others beer. I had the stew - that's twice, this week! and I have to say, I preferred the one in Kalamaras. Today's was tasty enough - but absolutely swimming in sauce, so that when I was finished, my bowl was still half full. The others had tartines, one had the chicken pie, one the chilli sin carne. And everyone seemed well satisfied. The chat was good, and overall, an excellent day!

On my way home, I waited for the #11, at the stop on Strand. No sign of it coming - and when I could get the internet on my phone to cooperate, my bus app said it'd be 18 minutes.. 20 minutes.. 25 minutes.. so I decided to take the short walk to Aldwych and try for the #26 instead, which was promised to come much quicker. Imagine my surprise when the bus that came - was the #11! and not from Strand, but from Lancaster Place. I've asked TFL whether this was a route change.. I had no warning of it.

Well, it's good to have a few hours to myself! Tomorrow, of course - not having been mentioned previously - is film. And I've finally worked my way down the film list to Jojo Rabbit. Multi-Oscar-nominated (although not a winner), this is the story of a little boy in Nazi Germany, with Adolf Hitler as his imaginary friend, whose world view is questioned when he discovers that his mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a Jewish girl in the attic. Someone said during the week that he'd found it funny - which kind of disturbed him. Me, I think the trailer looks quirky, and I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself. Showing in the Vue Islington - five times tomorrow. So I should be able to find a time to fit. Not wanting to restrict myself, I'll wait to see how tomorrow goes before I choose a showing.

All next week is UITCS! On Monday, we're at The Sunset Limited at the Boulevard - a new one for me. I booked on Christmas Eve, so in time to get a Roulette ticket - I don't find out out until the night where I'm sitting. Nor do the others!

On Tuesday, off to see a WIP show by comedian Kerry Godliman in 2Northdown.

On Wednesday, we're going to see A Number, at the Bridge.

Really looking forward to Thursday, when we're off to see Endgame, at the Old Vic. Double bill with Rough for Theatre II. I'm a huge Beckett fan. Incidentally, stars Daniel Radcliffe. I hope he does it justice. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, again - checking my mother's electricity meter, which they persist in over-estimating the usage of.

On the 2nd, back with Civilised London for another of those free jazz nights at Wilton's. This time, it's One Voice, One Cello & a Mad Belgian!

On the 3rd, back at Soho Theatre to see Dane Baptiste's comedy show, The Chocolate Chip.

On the 4th, back with UITCS at Sadler's Wells for a collaboration between Crystal Pite and her company, Kidd Pivot, and Jonathon Young, on an adaptation of a Russian comic play, Revisor (The Inspector General).

And on the 5th, going to see Shoe Lady at the Royal Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment