Monday 24 February 2020

Play: The Sunset Limited

All this week is Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS)! and what's more, with the same organiser each night. Tonight, we were at The Sunset Limited at the Boulevard - a new one for me. I booked on Christmas Eve, so in time to get a Roulette ticket - I wouldn't find out out until the night where I was sitting. Nor would the others!

It would be right when I was planning to leave that the boss sent a review of the latest thing I asked him to review. Which distracted me slightly - so I was a bit later than anticipated. And just missed my bus.. and when the next came (mercifully, it wasn't too much behind), it was detoured! Never mind, I made it in time for the show, and to chat briefly to the others. The theatre itself is discreetly tucked down a back alley in Soho - Google Maps was my friend, but even at that, it doesn't advertise itself too well - only a rather discreet sign to let you know that this is what you're looking for. But my, it's a lovely, cosy little venue!


My "roulette" ticket got me a high seat in the back row of the stalls - but it really is a lottery, others got to be right at the front. I think I was luckier than some - seems the very front row has terrible legroom. Me, I was in a very comfortable, bucket-style seat, with a fine view - as I say, I was in the back row, but that was Row G; nowhere in this theatre is far from the front. The balcony seemed unoccupied. I was happy that the seat beside me was free though, so I could leave my stuff on it - it's a long way down to the floor from these seats.

It's a real shame that there were so many free seats for this - it's an excellent production. Written by the brilliant Cormac McCarthy, it's a two-hander, playing straight through without interval. Set in a rundown apartment in NYC, it features a discussion between two men - it's not really a spoiler to tell you that one (the guy who lives there) has just saved the other guy from throwing himself in front of a train (the "Sunset Limited" of the title). He's an evangelical sort, and sees it as his duty to try to prevent the guy from trying again.

Ah, it's a long time since I saw a play like this - a straightforward discussion between two people, about philosophy, about religion, about.. whatever. About 95 minutes' worth of verbal tennis, as they bat arguments back and forth. The evangelist is an ex-con, uneducated but fervent in his beliefs - and for much of the play, he gets to direct the conversation, and this is the fun part, with many truly hilarious segments. The would-be jumper, in contrast, is a university professor, an erudite man - and really quite depressing when he gets free rein. As you might expect. Question is - who will prevail?

I loved the mental gymnastics. Runs until Saturday - see it if you can. Afterwards, we repaired to the first-floor bar (with a restaurant at the back), where we had a drink and a chat, and shared an appreciation of this lovely new venue! We'll be back, don't worry - this is quite a little gem, in the heart of Soho.



On the way home, Google Maps sent me completely wrong - either with bus routes, or where to catch them, because the two didn't match! Which led to a bit of an extra walk - but no harm, the rain had let up for once.

Tomorrow, off to see a WIP show by comedian Kerry Godliman in 2Northdown. With it starting quite late, we're meeting for a drink beforehand at the King Charles I pub.

On Wednesday, we're going to see A Number, at the Bridge.

Really looking forward to Thursday, when we're off to see Endgame, at the Old Vic. Double bill with Rough for Theatre II. I'm a huge Beckett fan. Incidentally, stars Daniel Radcliffe. I hope he does it justice. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, again - checking my mother's electricity meter, which they persist in over-estimating the usage of.

Next Monday, back with Civilised London for another of those free jazz nights at Wilton's. This time, it's One Voice, One Cello & a Mad Belgian!

On the 3rd, back at Soho Theatre to see Dane Baptiste's comedy show, The Chocolate Chip.

On the 4th, back with UITCS at Sadler's Wells for a collaboration between Crystal Pite and her company, Kidd Pivot, and Jonathon Young, on an adaptation of a Russian comic play, Revisor (The Inspector General).

And on the 5th, going to see Shoe Lady at the Royal Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment