Thursday 6 February 2020

Play: Leopoldstadt

Tonight, I had film in mind at first. But top of the film list - when I had time to look at it - was Outside the City, a documentary about trappist monks, whose numbers are dwindling, and whose members are ageing, so they can no longer run the farm, and have taken to brewing beer instead. Yeah.. I'm sure it's very good, very interesting - but I'm not that enthused. I'm not even a beer drinker.

Instead, I noted that Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) were off to see Leopoldstadt, which I found much more interesting. 'Tis the season for Holocaust memorials, indeed.. well, it's the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the majority of the camps. Anyway, it seems to be popular - when I checked the official website for Wyndham's, only three premium tickets remained in the whole theatre! However, checking the event page, I noted that someone was trying to sell a ticket, as he could no longer go, and didn't seem to be having any luck. Well, I got in touch - and it worked out well for both of us, as I ended up going in his place! for a much lower price. The ticket arrived on Monday morning. Oh, and they extricated that unexploded bomb, so it was ok to head to the area.


I was just in perfect time for the bus, and spent my journey sat beside a man (with very bad breath) who seemed a little crazy. In the nicest way - he kept bursting into laughter! Anyway, got to the theatre just after the time we were to meet. Clambered my way up all those stairs, and once I got my breath back, asked for a large glass of wine. Explaining that they didn't have wine glasses large enough, she asked whether I'd like it in a tumbler - ok! Suits me.. and as someone remarked, how much larger the drink looked, in that tumbler.

A large group tonight, we took up most of the bar, and indeed a lot of the balcony - most of the back row, certainly, where I was! Seats are comfortable enough, and the overhang isn't a problem - but I bemoaned the lack of a bar to rest my feet on, and was glad to have a free seat beside me, unexpectedly; it might have belonged to one of the seven(!) people who cancelled just today! Well, another of our group was sat just the other side.. Oh, and the steep rake meant that nobody's head obstructed the view.


Before the show, old black and white photos are displayed on the screen - I was soon to start wishing that I had sat just a little closer, to get a better look. Because this is a rather epic tale, of a wealthy Jewish family living in Vienna - Leopoldstadt is the traditionally Jewish district of the city. And the story takes us through several decades..

You think you know what's coming as a result, and you're right. But the story starts in 1899, with the prosperous family enjoying Christmas (there's assimilation for you - they have Christian in-laws anyway) in a well-appointed room, complete with sumptuous furnishings, and a lovely Christmas tree in the corner. Things move quite slowly as we have explained to us what it's like to be Jewish and ambitious in this society, where discrimination has been removed from the lawbooks, but not from people's attitudes - casual antisemitism is to be found everywhere. This message isn't delivered in a hectoring way - the genius of it is to base everything around actual events in the life of a family that is quite realistic, and entertaining. And I must say, this part of the play looks beautiful - just like a period drama on the telly.

1900 rolls around, the Christmas tree is missing, and the story has moved on a bit - but since the interval comes at the end of this time period, we were left wondering how much further the play would be able to advance! Fear not - it goes into overdrive in the second half. We jump to 1924, 1938, 1955.. and in each scene, we get a decent idea of what's happening on the national stage, as well as a graphic description of what's happening to the family. There's a huge cast, by the way - not only do they play several different family members, but at different ages too. Again, I wished I'd been able to see the family tree better, when it had been projected onto the big screen! But it doesn't actually matter much who's who - you pick up on the family dynamics anyway.

As the years advance, what the family must endure becomes gradually more awful. In sympathy, the stage becomes barer and barer.. and the action ramps up to a truly dreadful climax, visually striking and emotionally devastating, as past characters are brought back on stage in old-fashioned costumes, and we're told what happened to them. A very powerful play that highlights the suffering of one family.. and through that, tells the history of a country. The playwright has Czech roots himself, it seems - and his own family's experiences informed some of the events of this play. Very informative, for most of us - very highly recommended. Runs till the 16th of May - booking essential. It was packed tonight, and availability for the rest of the month is poor.

Afterwards, we spent some time outside discussing it - and it was great to see folks, and to have such a wide range of people to catch up with - some of whom I hadn't seen in an age. Taking the bus home, more drama as the driver got a message during the journey that caused him to drop us at the next stop! Cue me busily researching on my phone - firstly, the Buses Due app told me that the next one would be there in 12 minutes. Hmm. On to Google Maps - who told me that I could now walk home in 16 minutes. Or it'd take 10 minutes, on the #8 bus.. which left from just around the corner, diverted owing to perpetual roadworks. And of course, was free for me, since I'd tapped in well within the past hour, and the Hopper fare applied.. so that's exactly what I did.

Tomorrow, Helen is coming to town and we're having lunch - in Byron Burger again. Earliest time available, since I have a lunchtime meeting! And that evening, I'm off to see Faustus: That Damned Woman, at the Lyric Hammersmith.

On Saturday - why, I finally get to a UITCS social! They have them every now and again, but they're generally sometime I can't make. I go to so much with them, I'm delighted finally to be able to go to a social as well. This is on in the Phoenix Arts Club - ah, memories of happier days, when I worked in the next building over..

And on Sunday, well, initially I was thinking of film again. But wouldn't you know it, that damn film is still showing - that day only, next week! Never mind, UITCS again came to the rescue - and I'm now going with them to an operatic treatment of Alice's Adventures in the Underground, at the Opera House! With a lot wanting lunch beforehand, we're meeting at Wagamama - they have large, communal tables. And I'll be more careful what I order, this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment