Sunday 23 February 2020

Film: Jojo Rabbit

Today, of course - not having been mentioned until yesterday - was film. And I finally worked my way down the film list to Jojo Rabbit. Multi-Oscar-nominated (won one, for Best Adapted Screenplay), this is the story of a little boy in Nazi Germany, with Adolf Hitler (played by the writer / director himself!) as his imaginary friend, whose world view is questioned when he discovers that his mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a Jewish girl in the house. Sam Rockwell plays the commander of the Hitler Youth camp he attends, ably assisted by Rebel Wilson. Someone said during the week that he'd found it funny - which kind of disturbed him. Me, I thought the trailer looked quirky, and I was looking forward to seeing it for myself. Showing in the Vue Islington - five times today. So I figured I should be able to find a time to fit. Not wanting to restrict myself, I waited to see how today went before I chose a showing.

I slept deeply and long - so there was no point trying to rush for the first showing: but I made the second. It is cheaper to book with Vue, so I did - although otherwise, there'd have been no need, as it was in Screen 1, and practically empty. Indeed, I was really early, given that I just made my bus perfectly - I'd thought I might grab a bite to eat up there, but the area around the cinema is a virtual wasteland, so options are slim. I ended up having my standard meal substitute - a bag of Minstrels. The screen wasn't open yet, but happily she let me into the corridor outside it - you can sit on the windowledge there, but there isn't anywhere to sit in the lobby. I passed some time stealing WiFi from the Wagamama's across the way.

It wasn't long before the screen opened, and I could take my more comfortable seat, into which I sank gratefully - they are very comfy. Watched the ads, watched some trailers I hadn't seen before. When the ad to keep your rubbish by your seat to aid the cleaners came on, I looked sardonically at the litter-strewn floor - I guess the cleaners then leave it there.

Jojo Rabbit is a very sweet, very funny, very poignant film. It views the fall of the Third Reich through the eyes of a 10-year-old boy, living in a picturesque little German town. His father's location is unknown, and he lives alone with his mother, who disappears for long periods during the day. Which is how he comes to meet the Jewish girl that lives in the wall. Which comes as a huge shock both to him, and to his imaginary friend!

And yes, it is very funny - a lot of visual gags too, keep an eye out for them. Now, I didn't have a problem laughing at any of it - perhaps given that I'm Irish, and Ireland wasn't in the war. So I didn't have any relatives in it, no war stories, nobody that died. Take it at face value, it is very funny. And you'll appreciate that humour more in the second half of the film, when things turn much darker, and a spark of humour is much needed. An unusual view of the war - I highly recommend it.

All next week is Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS)! On Monday, we're at The Sunset Limited at the Boulevard - a new one for me. I booked on Christmas Eve, so in time to get a Roulette ticket - I don't find out out until the night where I'm sitting. Nor do the others!

On Tuesday, off to see a WIP show by comedian Kerry Godliman in 2Northdown.

On Wednesday, we're going to see A Number, at the Bridge.

Really looking forward to Thursday, when we're off to see Endgame, at the Old Vic. Double bill with Rough for Theatre II. I'm a huge Beckett fan. Incidentally, stars Daniel Radcliffe. I hope he does it justice. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, again - checking my mother's electricity meter, which they persist in over-estimating the usage of.

On the 2nd, back with Civilised London for another of those free jazz nights at Wilton's. This time, it's One Voice, One Cello & a Mad Belgian!

On the 3rd, back at Soho Theatre to see Dane Baptiste's comedy show, The Chocolate Chip.

On the 4th, back with UITCS at Sadler's Wells for a collaboration between Crystal Pite and her company, Kidd Pivot, and Jonathon Young, on an adaptation of a Russian comic play, Revisor (The Inspector General).

And on the 5th, going to see Shoe Lady at the Royal Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment