Wednesday 26 February 2020

Comedy: Kerry Godliman - Work in Progress

Last night, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) were off to see a WIP show by comedian Kerry Godliman in 2Northdown. With it starting quite late, we met for a drink beforehand at the King Charles I pub. Which worked out quite well, what with last-minute fire alarm tests scheduled for my building.

Just made my bus perfectly - and was first of our group at the pub. Which I'd heard was tiny - and so it proved! Anyway, I secured the last stool in the place.. when our organiser came, she managed to get another, but we were sorted when a table in the corner - right by the fire - was vacated. Which we snatched from under the nose of another couple at the bar - but then, we were expecting more to join us.




The others duly arrived, and we had a pleasant chat by the fire. Funnily enough, a pub quiz started up just as it was time for us to leave - complete with a guy MCing in sky-high heels and a massive blonde wig! who moped to see us leave, right after he'd asked the first question..

The venue is just down the road - happily, as it was a damn cold night. I got another drink there - a nice, flavoursome house white here. And we got "safe" seats together in the third row - and were much happier when the place filled up, so we had the insurance of people in front of us. In fact, I think it filled completely by the time the show started. We were well entertained before the start, by a diet of classic rock.


So, this - as advertised - was a work in progress. And sure enough, she had a page of notes on the stool to the side - and the anecdotes she told over the course of the next hour had a habit of petering out, being as yet unfinished. But you do know when you're in the presence of a pro, and a little thing like having nothing to say didn't phase her! She has a neat line in 40s angst, which resonated with most of the audience. The tales rang true, and we were laughing our heads off by the end. Well worth the price of admission - impossible not to enjoy this. V glad I chose to do this - it was a pretty last-minute thing.

On the way home, my phone battery just lasted long enough to tell me what combination of buses I needed to get - and boy, was I glad to get in from the cold, finally. Couldn't blog last night, as I had to be in early again. For the meeting that didn't happen, again. Anyway, tonight, we're going to see A Number, at the Bridge.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, when we're off to see Endgame, at the Old Vic. (UITCS all this week.) Double bill with Rough for Theatre II. I'm a huge Beckett fan. Incidentally, stars Daniel Radcliffe. I hope he does it justice. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, again - checking my mother's electricity meter, which they persist in over-estimating the usage of.

On Monday, back with Civilised London for another of those free jazz nights at Wilton's. This time, it's One Voice, One Cello & a Mad Belgian!

On Tuesday, back at Soho Theatre to see Dane Baptiste's comedy show, The Chocolate Chip.

Next Wednesday, back with UITCS at Sadler's Wells for a collaboration between Crystal Pite and her company, Kidd Pivot, and Jonathon Young, on an adaptation of a Russian comic play, Revisor (The Inspector General).

And on the 5th, going to see Shoe Lady at the Royal Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment