Wednesday 26 February 2020

Play: A Number

Tonight, I went with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to see A Number, at the Bridge. Handily, they texted me a link to my ticket today - if only everyone did that.. Headed off in decent time - and mercifully, in that cold breeze, the bus was quicker than anticipated in coming. And even dropped me off when I asked it to, unlike last time! Left me on the wrong side of the bridge, mind.. and by the time I'd walked across, I felt like a block of ice. Took me some time to defrost when I arrived!


We chatted away merrily until they rang the bell, then headed to our various seats. They do play to all sides, so it's no disadvantage to be at the side for this:


This is the story of a fellow that finds out he's one of "a number" of clones that his dad had made. Not really sure what to make of this, is he - the first scene has him trying to make sense of it, while his dad tries to suggest they could sue the hospital, because he had no idea of any of this!

Well, not too sure about that, as we enter the confusion of the second scene. We eventually realised these scenes are just different views of the same room - the furniture rotates, and we get a different "back wall" each time. It's the same dad, too. What does change is the son, who gets a different personality for each scene - to represent the different clones, you see..

Yeah. Umm, I didn't really connect with it. I spent too much time trying to figure out what was going on - the constant, unfinished sentences were a particular annoyance - and while the story did eventually come together, for me it felt - bitty. Kudos to the excellent portrayal of the different clones though, that is well done. As are the scene changes. And it raises an interesting question about the potential disposability of clones, how one can just replace another. Or replace the original. It's just a pity that that's not what was occupying our thoughts as we discussed it afterwards. Anyway, runs till the 14th.

And we had a convivial chat after - even if the wine's price doesn't reflect the amount you get! Bravely, I fought the bitter wind and walked home.



Really looking forward to tomorrow, when we're off (the same group, with many of the same people) to see Endgame, at the Old Vic. Double bill with Rough for Theatre II. I'm a huge Beckett fan. Incidentally, stars Daniel Radcliffe. I hope he does it justice. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, again - checking my mother's electricity meter, which they persist in over-estimating the usage of.

On Monday, back with Civilised London for another of those free jazz nights at Wilton's. This time, it's One Voice, One Cello & a Mad Belgian!

On Tuesday, back at Soho Theatre to see Dane Baptiste's comedy show, The Chocolate Chip.

Next Wednesday, back with UITCS at Sadler's Wells for a collaboration between Crystal Pite and her company, Kidd Pivot, and Jonathon Young, on an adaptation of a Russian comic play, Revisor (The Inspector General).

And on the 5th, going to see Shoe Lady at the Royal Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment