Friday 31 January 2020

Play: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe & Concert: Flamenco Fusion

On Wednesday, I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - this time, for the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! at the Bridge Theatre. I absolutely loved the Chronicles of Narnia when I was a kid - I was keen to see how this matched up!

I had some trouble finding the ticket, though - of course, it'd be tricky with all the things I book, but I do usually get an email confirmation. A search of my mailbox revealed no notification from the theatre - I had to check the event page on Meetup to discover that I'd commented with a seat number (phew, I hadn't forgotten to book!), and had also mentioned that I'd booked it with What's On Stage, which worked out slightly cheaper. Right, I finally found the email confirmation. To be fair, I booked this before Christmas. No e-ticket attached.. I checked the t&cs, and it turns out that they only email tickets for certain theatres, and this ain't one. So I figured I'd chosen my second favourite option, of collecting at the box office - annoyingly, they almost never tell you which method you did choose! Well, although the Opera House has been sending tickets in the post, I didn't remember any from anyone else..

So, off I headed in decent time, and took the bus. Now, it'd have been nice if he'd let me (and someone else who wanted to get off there) off at the stop we wanted. But no, despite the bell having been pressed, the sign illuminating, and us standing conspicuously at the centre doors - he sailed on through. And I doubt he'd have stopped at the next one, if not for someone that wanted to get on there! I've complained, as usual. Anyway, it wasn't much further to walk from there - and I was only a little late to meet the group. And of course, it is handy to be meeting them a little early, which apart from providing an opportunity to chat, also provides a buffer of time to make the show itself. And yes, they did have a ticket waiting for me at the box office! :-)



I was in the very front row, round the side - the stage is high enough to cut off a little of the view - specifically, the actors' feet. And there was one occasion when someone popped up from a trapdoor and I couldn't see who it was. But by and by, it was no problem. (I was lucky to snap off this photo, BTW - there's a strict no-photography policy in the auditorium, and the usher was standing very near me! but for that moment, he looked the other way. And saw me just too late..



So, in this shot you can see the famous lantern - the one in Lantern Waste, which remains on stage throughout, but is only lit before the start, and whenever they're actually supposed to be seeing it. And under it, at this point, you can see a group of what are supposed to be wartime musicians, who play away merrily before the show. Indeed, the story is that, like our protagonists, we're wartime evacuee children from London, being sent somewhere safer. In fact, you're issued green evacuation cards before the start of the show!



(If you don't get one at the start, they're left around the lobby at the interval.) These are used later. In fact, there is rather sweet, mild audience interaction - don't worry, nothing extreme!

Aw, this is fabulous. I was delighted to find myself remembering bits from the book that I'd forgotten - it's a long time since I read it. It's sweet, and it's moving - and the scary bits are decently scary, with excellent masks; Maugrim is a particularly scary delight. Throughout, it's a marvel to see how they recreate effects from the simplest of props - the only complicated things on stage are that lantern, and the white witch's sledge / platform, which she appears on a few times and is otherwise parked, snugly, to the side.

The story is quite faithfully told - and there are fabulous effects, from the white sheets that act as snow, to the lion's growl that we hear long before we see him. The costumes are gorgeously imaginative.. and it's quite an immersive experience, with actors dashing through the audience, and a singalong finale. (Note - in the front row, do try to keep your feet in; they use that front passage quite a lot.)

Absolutely enchanting. Finishes on Sunday - low availability for tomorrow, and Sunday is sold out. Highly recommended - contains strobe lighting.

Now - apologies for the delay in posting, I have been that busy! Again, I was to be happy I hadn't anything booked for yesterday, when Eleanor from the London European Club (LEC) (and World Music Meetup) advertised a flamenco concert - I'm a sucker for flamenco. So I  booked for that - this time, it was in City Hope Church. Tickets, as usual, from Tuned In London - and as the lady said, on the eve of Brexit, we needed something European..

Well, I got caught up finishing something at work - to the extent that the only option to get there was the quickest. So, bus to Moorgate, then two Tubes. And do you know, initially it worked like clockwork. Yes, right up to London Bridge, where I had to change to the Jubilee Line - which was as packed as ever. So I couldn't squeeze onto the one I was supposed to get, and had to wait for the next.. which took three minutes and was then delayed.. and then took ages to leave, with people apparently obstructing the doors. Finally, on the walk from Bermondsey Station, I was lucky to have Google Maps to tell me when I got there - I was so busy hurrying and trying not to trip over tree roots on the uneven pavement that I completely missed the unobtrusive church!

Helpful signs directed me to the side door - I gave my name and took a seat, in the back; it was quite crowded. It was a cash bar, and I'd forgotten to get cash at lunchtime and hadn't had time in the evening, so that was out. Anyway, it wasn't long till Eleanor appeared to give her introductory speech, and the musicians took the stage:



And oh, what a tonic! A real blast of sunny, wild Spanish music, with the singer, Leo, beating percussion on the speaker she was also using as a seat - evidently much appreciated by the many Spaniards in the audience. Gorgeous, and much appreciated on what was, for me, quite a stressful week. Also mixed with some popular tunes, picked out on the guitar - and later in the show, they were joined by another..



So, a simply terrific evening - and the singer even gave us a few dance steps, at the end. A shame I didn't get to talk to Eleanor (or any others from the group) - but I know she's extremely busy, and actually organises these concerts herself. What the hey, I really enjoyed myself - as ever, at these! Oh, and I managed to get a bus straight home. Which let me off at home, rather than a bit further on..

Flew back to Ireland for the weekend tonight. In Shannon, an English passenger from the flight posed for a photo in front of the "EU Passengers" customs channel.. sad, as she remarked, that that would be the last time she could validly use it! Not that it matters in Shannon, of course, given that you can happily waltz through whichever channel you wish - there's no-one to stop you.

Ironically, the other day I was messaged by a Bulgarian fellow, who said he'll be in London for a few days from today, and could I recommend some social events to him?! Took a while to give him a shortlist.. and another while to split up all the links, because Meetup thought my messages were spam. Well, I hope he enjoys his stay.

On Monday, I'm back with the LEC (how appropriate that they should bookmark Brexit for me! completely coincidental on my part) for an organ concert at the Royal Festival Hall.

On Tuesday, I'm finally doing something with the folks from work - every now and then they have pop-up social events, and this time it's a pub quiz. So I can see whether all those tv quiz shows have helped! Taking place at The Castle pub, not far from the office.

On Wednesday, I've had it in mind for the longest time to accompany UITCS to see The Welkin at the National. But you see, I had a Seatplan theatre token that I wanted to use - and the bind is that they still haven't introduced web bookings for those, and so I had to ring. During office hours. And whenever I thought of doing it was outside of office hours. Until this week.. and in the meantime, of the £47 tickets that had sold out, three more became available - in the back row of the stalls. So I booked one of those. And despite the dire warning from the automated voice, that I'd be charged an extra £3 for booking this way.. well, she obviously completely forgot about that, because I wasn't.

On Thursday, I had film in mind at first. But top of the film list - when I had time to look at it - was Outside the City, a documentary about trappist monks, whose numbers are dwindling, and whose members are ageing, so they can no longer run the farm, and have taken to brewing beer instead. Yeah.. I'm sure it's very good, very interesting - but I'm not that enthused. I'm not even a beer drinker.

Instead, I noted that UITCS are off to see Leopoldstadt, which I found much more interesting. 'Tis the season for Holocaust memorials, indeed.. well, it's the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the majority of the camps. Anyway, it seems to be popular - when I checked the official website for Wyndham's, only three premium tickets remained in the whole theatre! However, checking the event page, I noted that someone was trying to sell a ticket, as he could no longer go, and didn't seem to be having any luck. Well, I got in touch - and it worked out well for both of us, as I'm now going in his place! for a much lower price. He says it's in the post - I'm sure it'll arrive on time.

Next Friday, Helen is coming to town and we're having lunch - in Byron Burger again. And that evening, I'm off to see Faustus: That Damned Woman, at the Lyric Hammersmith.

And on the 8th - why, I finally get to a UITCS social! They have them every now and again, but they're generally sometime I can't make. I go to so much with them, I'm delighted finally to be able to go to a social as well. This is on in the Phoenix Arts Club - ah, memories of happier days, when I worked in the next building over..

No comments:

Post a Comment