Sunday 9 February 2020

Opera: Alice's Adventures Under Ground & Storytelling: Love, Lust and Betrayal

Today, well, initially I was thinking of film again. But wouldn't you know it, that damn film, Outside the City, was still showing - today only, this week! It's a documentary about trappist monks, whose numbers are dwindling, and whose members are ageing, so they can no longer run the farm, and have taken to brewing beer instead. Yeah.. I'm sure it's very good, very interesting - but I'm not that enthused. I'm not even a beer drinker. Never mind, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again came to the rescue - and so I went with them to an operatic treatment of Alice's Adventures Under Ground, at the Opera House! With a lot wanting lunch beforehand, we arranged to meet at Wagamama - they have large, communal tables.

I had no inkling of the effect of Storm Ciara until I went outside, heading to Wagamama - and heard the wind whistling through the skyscrapers. Felt the effect as I was crossing the road - I had to make a real effort to get to the middle, where I had to wait to let traffic pass, and in the meantime cling to the traffic light for stability. Damn cold wind too - it was a relief when the bus finally came; for some reason, Google Maps was recommending a combination of buses, but I knew the #11 would take me straight there. We were slightly delayed, mind, when our driver stopped to help another bus driver - the ad had half blown off his bus! He was asking our driver whether he'd seen the bit that had come loose, on his travels.. and now a section remained half attached, flapping around - and he couldn't drive along like that! Our driver spent some time unsuccessfully trying to pull it off, then gave up when the TFL emergency van arrived.

Alighting at Bedford Street, I was a two-minute walk from the restaurant, with half an hour to spare. Google Maps helpfully informed me that there was a Caffe Nero en route - so I headed in there. Was sorely tempted by the chocolate fudge cake - which I passed on, given that I was shortly to eat. Ordered my usual chocolate Milano, and was lucky enough to get a table by the window. And when I'd finished the chocolate Milano, I headed the short distance to the restaurant - to find that a couple of people had beaten me to it, and we had taken a table near the kitchen. Handy for watching the cooking, if you sat facing it as I did. Most of the people who'd fancied lunch didn't make it - sore throats, travel disruptions.. seven of us ate in the end.

I had chicken katsu curry, which was an improvement on last time - still, the lamb teriyaki that the person opposite me had looked very tempting, and I might try that if I'm back again. More complaints from today's group about the changed menu.. but by and large, we were decently fed. Now, for dessert, our Italian organiser had a couple of places in mind - but we'd have had to eat outside, and in this weather, that wasn't an option. So instead, we headed to the Opera House, and took a seat in the Paul Hamlyn Hall - it's a long time since I arrived here early enough before a show to be able to have a drink! which I did.


The theatre was packed for this final performance - lots of kids present. And I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did! The general consensus after the 55-minute show (without interval) was that we didn't like the discordant music, but yes, it was visually stunning. Completely anarchic, quite surreal (dancing cake, anyone?) - perfect for the subject matter, I thought. Sung in a mixture of languages - some real, some made-up - it belted along at a manic pace. Most of the action took place to the left of the stage, which was handy for me, as my view of the right was cut off. Yes, glad I came.

Afterwards, we headed out in search of dessert - but the lack of options and the awful weather defeated some, and only four of us were left - a convenient number! - to get a table at Paul. We took a table in the restaurant section - where I decided that this was as good a place as any to get an evening meal, so I had a moreish steak, with chips that had been sprinkled with something like cinnamon. Delish! Cake and coffees for the others, and we had a lovely chat before deciding it was time to depart.
Now, last night I was checking with The Embers Collective - and they had only just advertised some more shows. They'd said they were holding another performance of stories of Love, Lust and Betrayal tonight (for the week that's in it) but had only just advertised it. With the earlier show being a matinee - I decided I could make this! Tickets from Design My Night, as usual. It was this evening, in Dona: and I was doubly delighted this was on - I just heard about it at my last storytelling event - because it's showing again later on a date I'm already booked up for, and in Cafe Cairo: which, as mentioned before, is a terrible venue for storytelling. Happy to skip that.

So I headed off again - in lashing rain, now - and caught a bus up to Stoke Newington. Nearly fell asleep on the way. It dropped me across the road. Dona is easy to miss.. I'd walked past it, and turned to realise that it was just a doorway, decorated in red streamers. However, the doorman wouldn't let me in - said they were still rehearsing, and wouldn't be open till 7; I was 20 minutes too early. He directed me to the chipper next door.. hmm. Instead, I headed a few doors down, to Cafe Babel - where I ordered a hot chocolate and took the last free table. 10 minutes went by before I got it - by going back up and reminding the server, who'd completely forgotten me! Anyway, it was decent.

By the time I'd finished, it was about time to head back to Dona - and the doorman decided to let me in. A bag check was followed by a climb down a steep flight of stairs, and Lonan Jenkins scanned my ticket.



Ah now, this was an improvement on Cafe Cairo! More space, decent seating.. a very funky vibe, of course, as typical for The Embers Collective. I ordered a glass of wine at the bar - and the other server, who'd been dealing with another customer, jumped in with suggestions of what I could have. Laconically - I hardly guessed she was addressing me. Especially since I didn't recognise a word of what she was saying! The only one I had a hope of remembering was her last suggestion of pinot blanc - and since she said they were all the same price (before drifting off again, without making eye contact), that's what I had. And it was watery.

Well, I was one of the first there, so had a good choice of seats - mind you, most were hard wood, which was a little uncomfortable by the end of the night. Dotted around the walls were little round tables, each with two stools - which turned out to be bolted to the tables! So when someone tried to move a stool - the whole contraption came too. There were a couple of armchairs, some loose stools - reminding me of Sands Films, with its eclectic seating. Or you could sit on the floor - there were a few cushions. And the place was pretty full by the time the performance started, some time after 7.30..

This was also to be an improvement on the last show. Well, for a start, we didn't have nearly as much noise creeping in from outside. And there was guitar accompaniment throughout, which greatly added to the atmosphere. Lonan started us off, with a story of a lonely fisherman who snagged a strange catch, then ended up falling in love with it.. we had a storyteller I hadn't seen before, and whose name I hadn't a hope of catching amid the applause at the end - she told us a tale of a Welsh princess with a sad experience of love. And Sarah Liisa Wilkinson took us through to the interval, and finished her story after it - it was a long one, of the youngest son's quest for love and adventure. The guy who rounded off the night - with a Greek myth, followed by a tuneless rendition of a folk song - is someone I've seen before, but again, have no idea of the name. And try getting it during the applause!

An excellent show, and a soothing way to end the day. Highly recommended - this show is running again on the 20th - but as I say, it's in Cafe Cairo; you have been warned! Freezing cold wind when I went back outside - and on the way to catch my bus, I came across a free WiFi terminal! Now there's something I haven't seen before. That bus couldn't have come soon enough either - and I was glad to be home at last. The wind is still whistling outside, as I write.. Not looking forward to the walk to work tomorrow.

Yet again, I was to be glad I hadn't anything booked for tomorrow - Civilised London left it late enough, but I'm now going with them to another of those Monday jazz nights at Wilton's! This time, it's the Jim Hammond Duo.

On Tuesday, I tried to get the first meeting of the year going with that group from my last company. Had the idea while I was eating at the Amarcord Museum - I love to advertise good places to people, and this is one! But apart from a couple of people who made their excuses because they're on holiday abroad - and despite the invite having gone out before Christmas - the only taker is Ivan, with no-one else even bothering to respond. Dead in the water, that group, it seems. Well, their loss. We'll have a lovely meal, and then he's booked that recording studio again for later that night. And as they do a special deal for 10 hours.. it'll be an all-nighter! So I'm taking the next day off work.

On Wednesday evening, I signed up for my first ever event with The Roads Less Travelled: Ekzotic Adventures Travel Club. Not actually travelling, mind - this is a talk about Myanmar. Specifically about the rubies you can get there, but with plenty of other information about the country as well. Takes place in a room above The Iron Duke pub. Ah, but then.. (and I should have remembered this event, because I knew about it) London European Club (and the World Music Meetup) advertised a concert by a Kurdish artist (from the Turkish side) at the Finnish Church. So I'm going to that instead. Tickets from Tuned In London, as usual.

On Thursday, I'm back at Soho Theatre for Jen Brister's show, Under Privilege. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - where I have to sneak a look at my mother's Eir contract. She just changed to a new package, I just got her first bill for it (we've gone paperless, so it gets emailed to me as she doesn't use her email account), and I swear they've overcharged her on the monthly package price. They messed up the email address when I was ordering over the phone, so I never got the confirmation email - will have to check the paper version she got to ensure that what she got was what I agreed on in the first place. No point in asking her to check - she won't know what to look for, and she'll only get hysterical.

And assuming I survive all of that (they are AWFUL to deal with, and I thought her previous internet provider, 3, was bad!), on the 17th I'm back with UITCS for The Haystack at Hampstead Theatre. Another group of them went on Friday night, and I'm hearing excellent reports..

No comments:

Post a Comment