Wednesday 30 January 2019

Film: The Favourite

Tonight, film again - determined to get all the big hitters seen! So, tonight I finally saw The Favourite - Olivia Coleman plays Queen Anne, with Emma Stone as Baroness Masham, and Rachel Weisz as her cousin, the Duchess of Marlborough, vying for her favour. All three Oscar-nominated. I was going to see this in Rich Mix, but the only showing today was quite early - and the boss moved all yesterday's meetings, including the evening one, to today, following our social. So that was out, in favour of the Vue Islington. I booked, because that's cheaper with them - and was happy, as ever, to donate to the MediCinema charity, which they support, and which brings cinema to hospitals.

..Aand then the evening meeting was moved to tomorrow. FFS.. Well, a longer walk than necessary - in the cold - but the exercise is good for me, and the slightly later start did mean I had a more relaxed dinner. Trotted up the hill as fast as possible, in viciously low temperatures - no actual snow, but I see they've gritted round about quite well. I arrived during the ads but before the trailers - perfect, I do like to see those. And my seat? Not an armchair, not as wide, no cushion or side table. But it was ergonomically curved to provide back support, plenty comfortable, and I had nothing I needed to put on a side table. Plus, I'd chosen the row back a bit, but with no-one in front - unlimited legroom and no-one's head in front of you. And gee, just over 1/3 of the price of last night..!

It was pretty full - surprising, considering how long it's been out, and that it was a Wednesday in January. But anyway. Straight away, you know you're watching something unusual - the camera angles are striking. (Oscar nods for cinematography and film editing.) They're also nominated for costume design - phew, yes! Sumptuous and unusual outfits throughout. Oh, and lovers of stately homes rejoice - it was filmed mainly at Hatfield House, which looks suitably grand. Wide-angle lenses and huge, empty rooms really do help to convey a sense of the loneliness of the main characters, which was deliberate on the part of the director. Yes, he's nominated too.

There are people say they find it odd that this is described as a comedy. Goodness, I chuckled throughout most of it! Don't get me wrong - it's a black humour, and this is patently a court at which anyone not blessed with a sharp wit would not have survived. But I do believe this wasn't the only period in history when that was true.. and it certainly goes to show that the English upper classes were no less daft 300-odd years ago than they are today! Truly surreal court shenanigans - bunny rabbits running around the palace are the least of it (and they're not historically accurate anyway). In a shift from the norm, in this film it's the gents that are painted and powdered - the ladies appear more natural.

As Abigail gradually supplants her cousin in the Queen's affection, the film gets darker - the jokes stop, events take a more serious turn. The closing scene is interesting, as we see what the nature of Abigail's new "friendship" really is. Recommended - definitely one of the quirkiest films you're likely to see, and I enjoyed it v much. For me though, the biggest contender for the prize of Best Picture - of those I've seen now, which is most of them - is still A Star Is Born..

Tomorrow, a break from film - I found a new walk! Courtesy of Walking in London, as usual. The Blood and Tears Walk (I guess there isn't any sweat) has been running for years, it seems. And the guide seems to have a good sense of humour, which should be interesting as he trails us around, looking for serial killers. I just hope it's warmed up a bit by then.

And on Friday, back on my first proper Meetup for two weeks, as I meet Up in the Cheap Seats again, for Cougar, at the Orange Tree. Got one of the last four seats on the lower level.

No comments:

Post a Comment