Tuesday 22 January 2019

Film: Roma

Tonight, I had arranged to go with the London Jazz Meetup - but gee, it was all the way out in Ealing! So I said sod it, I'd go to the pictures again. Now, three films were tying at the top of my list, all at an IMDB rating of 8.1. Njan Prakashan, however, is showing no closer than the Odeon Lee Valley - forget it. The other two are - much more attractively - on in Curzon Bloomsbury. And the winner was - Roma. Partly because it was on later, and I was supposed to have an evening meeting - and partly because it's directed by Alfonso Cuarón. It's a year in the life of a Mexican maid in the 70s, and is based on his childhood memories.

Well, for a start, I was so glad not to be travelling to outer London, on a day when people kept posting pictures of snow, taken from out their windows! No, we stayed nice and snow-free in Central London. Mind you, it was vexing to have my evening meeting bumped to tomorrow - never mind, I got stuff done in the office before making my way. Suspicious of the show selling out, I kept an eye on it all day - finally, over half the seats were sold, and I said I'd better go for it. Rather attractive e-tickets, in the pattern of old-fashioned paper ones.

The bus fairly flew into town - but my 10-minute walk to the cinema was viciously cold. I defrosted pretty quickly once I stepped inside the door - and made my way downstairs, where all the screens are. Mine was the "Phoenix" - I had a feeling I'd be right on the inside of the row, and so it proved: but handily, I was the first in that row to arrive (just), so I wasn't disturbing anyone. Now, the Curzons aren't cheap - but at least an expensive cinema is guaranteed to have good seats, and so it proved, as I sank into my plush pullman, which reclined automatically as I relaxed. The only thing to mar my enjoyment was the constant, high-pitched whine, which I think was the projector, and which was prominent during quiet moments.

A few trailers, and the standard advertising reel proclaiming this to be a European cinema, with EU funding: like all the Curzons. Jeez, wonder how they'll fare after Brexit, when their funding is pulled.. I can't see an economically struggling UK being much bothered with the arts. And so we were off, with an artistic opening, in black and white, showing someone sloshing soapy water over a tiled surface, so that it reflects the sky above the surrounding buildings. A plane passes.

We soon discover that we are following a young, Mexican maid on her daily chores, as she helps to care for a family of a mother, a grandmother, and four kids. There is a father, who's rarely there. There's a dog, who poos constantly all over the entrance hall, where they park their cars - cleaning it up is one of the maid's jobs. It's one of the many little touches of humour throughout.

You're in good hands with this director. He sets a lovely, languid pace, with long periods of silence - but that belies an awful lot of activity in the story. Make no mistake, this is an eventful year, with personal dramas, some personal tragedy, and some politics - they get caught up in the student protests of 1971. But where another film's characters might have turned hysterical, these by and large just get on with getting on. Despite living through some truly surreal events. And the director knows the sheer power of silence, allowing the most emotional scenes to go without dialogue. Truly, truly affecting. Highly recommended. (10 Oscar nominations!) I swear though, the story seems so familiar to me - if anyone recognises it from anywhere, please let me know, it's really bugging me!

On the way back, I was very, very glad to see my bus come straight away - although it wasn't as cold as when I set out. Tomorrow - gee, film is again looking like the best option! (I'm doing very well at working my way through this list.) And so to the other film showing at the Curzon Bloomsbury - Shoplifters is a Japanese film about a family of shoplifters that take in a waif. And when I checked this evening, there were only a few seats left for tomorrow evening - so I booked. I should be finished in time to make it.

Delighted to be back with Chronicles on Thursday, for his Spooky Westminster Tour (Bloody London). As advertised with Walking in London - but rather than book with Funzing, I booked with Chronicles directly for a cheaper price!  Well, Funzing's discounts aren't generally terrific, these days.

Back to Ireland for the weekend, and on Monday we have our monthly team social. We decided to go for a meal somewhere good in Soho I'd been before - and after some detective work, I discovered it was Bistro1. Inviting some people outside our teeny team, too..

No comments:

Post a Comment