Friday 18 January 2019

Plays: Party Time & Celebration

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Pinter at the Pinter - Programme Six! (Party Time / Celebration.) As I remarked to them a couple of times tonight - whatever will I do once the Pinter at the Pinter season is over..? (We shall see.) Anyway, for now, I got the bus to Strand, where any bus would take me to Trafalgar Square: unfortunately, not necessarily to the right side of it. So I was ever so slightly late arriving at the theatre bar to meet the others - and yes, we did, again, occupy most of the space! Well, it was manic tonight, being a Friday. Great to see people, as usual.




I had an aisle seat, which was nice - but d'you know, I missed my seat behind the pillar, as per Monday! I actually had a better view then than I had tonight, having to peer over the heads of the people in front of me. Plus, the guy beside me - prone to sighing loudly - also had a habit of noisily chewing his nails. Happily - and, I guess, predictably, given the sighing - he left at the interval.

Only the two plays tonight, and we started - dramatically - with Party Time. Classical music soars as the curtain is raised on a line of eight, sat facing the audience, and dressed in black. Oh, I do like the dramatic. What follows is, I guess, a scathing attack on middle-class social chitchat, as various combinations of guests chat inanely, and reveal themselves as a collection of snobs, including a Stepford wife - and one woman at the end of the row, who keeps asking about her brother, Jimmy, only to be shushed continuously by her contemptuous husband. Cue the dramatic entrance, at the end, of an uninvited guest..

At the interval, I bought a seriously overpriced glass of wine, as my tummy is now feeling much better, thanks. And we discussed our varying levels of confusion (with some cool jazz as background music, as usual) before we took our seats for the second half. This was Celebration, which people tended to find much more accessible - similar to the first, in that a group is facing the audience, in this case they're dressed more brightly, for one thing. Very TOWIE, in fact, with spangly dresses, big hair, and showy jewellery. A family celebration, interrupted by meeting a couple they know, as well as funny interjections by staff members. Great fun!

Afterwards, we shivered in the cold for a while before heading to the very nearest pub, Tom Cribb - just across the road. It was an early finish, you see - and the venue was a spur of the moment decision. Unfortunately, it's not a great locale for that - fair enough, we were stood in the middle of the floor (there was limited space), but I was frequently jostled very roughly. Not something I've experienced elsewhere, and I honestly couldn't recommend it if you have to stand. 


Still, those of us who stayed latest did get a table, and it was lovely to catch up. I'll have to be up early tomorrow, so have to get to bed now - have to be in Sutton for midday to give the car back! End of an era. In the evening, I'm thinking film - and what's coming up, finally, is Bohemian Rhapsody, which is showing quite close to me, in the Vue Islington! Cheaper than the average, too.

On Sunday, I'm headed on my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall - this year, it's Totem. I see I have something in common with royalty there..

On Monday, I'm back with London Speaks Sessions for "True Crime: Survivor Stories and Straties (sic.)". This is a talk about survivors of extreme situations - and delivered by the excellent Jennifer Rees, whom I've seen a few times before. Not only that, but I got to use my loyalty Funzing discount for it, having cancelled a previous event for which I'd used that!

And on Tuesday, I had arranged to go with the London Jazz Meetup - but gee, it's all the way out in Ealing! So I said sod it, I'd go to the pictures again. Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment