Thursday 17 January 2019

Restaurant: Little Georgia & Winter Lights

Yesterday, I was back with Let's Do This for the first time this year, as we headed to a Georgian restaurant for dinner. Georgia, the country. When I told my boss, he absolutely gushed about Georgian cuisine - he's not from there, but from Bulgaria, just across the Black Sea. Anyway, he seemed to know.

Well, it was a horrible day at work - most stressful - and it hadn't ended yet by the time I left. I had to take my laptop with me, so I could work from home last night - I wasn't coming back to the office, as I was headed to the other side of where I live. Close enough that I could walk - but of course, I ended up leaving late, what with all the work, and decided to maximise my time with the group by taking the Tube to Angel (only one stop), and walking from there.

Not too crowded at this hour, anyway. I looked up the route on Google Maps on my phone before I left. But wouldn't you know it, the damned app closed the journey details en route! and when I exited the station, I couldn't get an internet signal! Took me a few minutes to be able to look up my route again. Cue a trot through mainly residential streets, to The Crown, where we were to meet: one of those pubs with lots of engraved glass to tell you it's a pub - as Mary pointed out. And we had a drink, and a lovely chat there, before heading off to the restaurant.

Little Georgia is quite a little place. As we waited for them to get our table ready, we noted the curious collection of phones they have - old-fashioned, in various colours, dotted about the counter and on a shelf. An old gramophone. Also a surfeit of Georgian posters, the writing incomprehensible to me. And for the whole night, we remarked among ourselves how full it was - notable, for a Wednesday in January!






Our host ordered a bread basket for the table, which came with garlic butter - all of which proved so popular that we had another! But I have to say, the star of the night - for me, at least - was my starter. Moshushuli-Soko Katmit is shredded chicken with onion, mushroom, chilli, and "Georgian spices".. and as soon as it arrived at the table (complete with another couple of slices of bread), everybody's nose was twitching. It smelled absolutely delicious. And I have to say, the taste was just as good - I cleared my plate with gusto. Can't honestly remember a more delicious starter in my life! For main course, I had poussin in a garlic sauce - which was lovely, but the poussin, by its nature, had a lot of small bones, and was tricky to eat. We had both red and white wine among us, both Georgian, and a bottle of (Polish) beer.

Service was friendly throughout, and quick enough, although they had a full house to contend with. And they do desserts - although there didn't seem to be a general trend for that among my companions, and we didn't. Prices decent, too. A great evening was had, with excellent company. No general trend towards the pub afterwards - which was a shame, I could really have done with it after my day! Anyway, I walked home (downhill). Good to get in early, at least, since I still had work to do..

Meantime, I've been quite busy.. but tonight I decided (yes, on the coldest day we've had so far this year) to take myself to Canary Wharf (one of the coldest spots in London), for their annual Winter Lights festival. (Got the idea from the Central London Outdoor Group - but I found them a bit clingy in the past, to be honest, and didn't fancy going with them.) It runs till 10pm (and after, for the outdoor exhibits) - but I was a bit delayed in going, showing my late-working boss a video of Jan Blake. So I decided on the Tube again, to give myself as much time as possible there. And again, it wasn't too crowded. And isn't it great how they provide so much there for free? The first of the installations is right outside the Tube station, and you can get a map on the festival website.




More photos and videos here. (Apologies for the those videos that are sideways - I can't seem to remember not to shoot them landscape!) Anyway, I zipped around, and saw most things - a terrific exhibit. Runs till the 26th - highly recommended. I got the bus back, which fairly flew at this time of night!

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Pinter at the Pinter - Programme Six! (Party Time / Celebration.) And I'll have to be up early on Saturday - have to be in Sutton for midday to give the car back! End of an era.

No comments:

Post a Comment