Thursday 24 January 2019

Spooky Westminster Tour - Chronicles: Bloody London

Delighted to be back with Chronicles tonight, for his Spooky Westminster Tour (Bloody London). As advertised with Walking in London - but rather than book with Funzing, I booked with Chronicles directly for a cheaper price!  Well, Funzing's discounts aren't generally terrific, these days.

A busy day at work miraculously cleared in good time for me to leave. We were to meet at Westminster Station, but I would have taken the bus - except Google Maps was directing me to take a bus to Waterloo and walk across the bridge, and in this chilly weather? No thanks, Tube for me. When I saw the crowds at Old Street, I was glad I'd left early. When I saw the crowds at London Bridge - I really wished I'd taken the bus and walked across! Four trains, I had to let pass because they were too full to cram onto. I'll remember that in future.

Westminster Station - interestingly for one so close to the centre of government - has literally nailed its political colours to the mast!


More photos here. The whole range of the barriers, on both sides. Anyway, an advantage of taking the Tube was that it made it easier to find Exit 4, where we were to meet, specifically - and sure enough, there he was, brandishing his sign. (I arrived a bit early this time, even with the Tube issues, and felt better about it.) And wouldn't you know - I was the only person again! I dunno, maybe it's the weather. Anyway, he's a convivial companion, and I don't mind - but it'd be interesting to see how he works with a group.

Actually, he remarked that he'd expected to see me arrive on a bus! :-) From some odd direction or other. Well, I'm nothing if not unpredictable. Off we meandered around Westminster - well, after giving directions to a passer-by. Does he have that kind of a face, I wonder? We spent little enough time on the major monuments - good! Seen tons of 'em. Naw, we were off down dark alleys - saw what remains of the Bridewell, and heard gruesome tales of torture. I guess there are some people just suited to that kind of work.


And so on past the imposing buildings of Westminster, and we found ourselves outside the Banqueting House, scene of the execution of Charles I. Could even see a little of the famous Rubens ceiling..! beneath which he was apparently led to his execution. Adding insult to injury, I guess..


Along the way I was regaled with a variety of stories, historical and contemporary, as we meandered along to Strand. (Handy, we were headed in my direction!) As he perused his materials - why, we were hailed by yet another passer-by, this one wanting to know whether we wanted directions. And when we got through the next bit, there he was again, with a bit of banter for us! Gee, the folks you meet in back alleys..

The night ended around Covent Garden (it's been a while since I took myself over that way), with tales of death, debauchery, and the Covent Garden nuns.. and of William Terriss, possibly one of the world's busier ghosts, as he haunts both the Adelphi, where he used to perform, and Covent Garden station, built on the site of his favourite bakery. Keep a nose out for the smell of baking bread, there. Me, I took myself past "the world's most haunted theatre", where I caught a more convenient bus back. Always entertaining, as I say, I'm sure I'll be back for more of his walks - I'm just not booking far ahead at the moment.

Back to Ireland for the weekend, and on Monday we have our monthly team social. We decided to go for a meal somewhere good in Soho I'd been before - and after some detective work, I discovered it was Bistro1. Inviting some people outside our teeny team, too..

No comments:

Post a Comment