Tuesday 29 January 2019

Film: Green Book

Tonight was film, and frankly I was glad to be on my own - I hadn't the energy to be social, after yesterday's social! Top of the list was Green Book, again Oscar-nominated and just previewing this week. Viggo Mortensen plays an Italian American bouncer, hired to chauffeur a black concert pianist on a tour of the Deep South. In the 60s. Ouch. True story. Ironically, I got an offer for free tickets for it - for the last three days only! Bah. Anyway, today the closest I could find it showing was in the Everyman Baker Street. And wouldn't you know it, premium tickets only. So, over £20 per ticket if you book in advance. Huh. Anyway, booking hadn't been heavy - but if you look at the seating plan carefully, it's mostly sofas - which can only be booked for two. So I kept a close eye on the single seats, and when I saw they were half booked this afternoon, I booked one myself. S'posed to snow tonight, so I brought my Yaktrax, just in case.

It wasn't snowing when I left - it was pouring rain, and bitterly cold. Happily, my bus didn't take long to come - and I then had a short walk to the cinema, albeit weaving my way through a maze of construction works and hoardings on Baker Street, which meant I didn't see the cinema until I was right on top of it. In the sleet. I hadn't been here before - it's quite small, and on ground level just consists of a small landing, with a table with fliers on it. Stairs lead down to the cinema level, where they only seem to have a few screens - one door was open, so I figured that was mine, since I was just a little before time. I found it nigh impossible to read the artsy screen numbers displayed just outside the doors. You could take a drink from the bar in with you - but after last night? Nah, I didn't fancy it. Nobody seemed interested in checking my ticket, so I just moseyed right in.



That's my seat. Nice and comfy, as you can probably tell - armchairs, all of them. A small ledge to perch your drink on. The sofas hardly looked much wider than the single seats - snug, I'd call them. On the back of each seat is a very narrow ledge - too narrow to be useful, really - with a sloping piece underneath on which the person in the seat behind can rest their feet. Yes, it was a very comfy seat, with plenty of space for a single sitter. I might have liked a headrest, is the only thing. Oh, and you have to order at the bar, but they will bring in your drink for you.

The "Green Book" of the title refers to a travel guide for "negro travelers", and from the cover, I think they were using the 1959 edition. Remember, at the time, segregation was rife in the American South, so it was pretty essential to know where black people were, and were not, allowed to go. From hotels, restaurants, shops, and bars that wouldn't serve or accommodate them, to "sundown" towns, where they had to leave the town limits by nightfall - and if they broke the rules, they faced jail, or a beating. Or worse. Chilling stuff.

The film garnered an Oscar nomination for Best Actor for Viggo Mortensen, and Best Supporting Actor for Mahershala Ali, who plays the pianist, Dr. Shirley. And you know something? For sure, Mahershala Ali deserves his. It's a stunning performance, portraying a highly cultured - but repressed and lonely - genius, who learns something about life from the street-smart - but uncultured - driver. I'm not as confident about Viggo Mortensen, but he does play the part well.

It's a touching story, inspired by real-life events: and in real life, they did become lifelong friends, dying within a few months of each other. Stay for the start of the credits, where their subsequent stories are summarised. The road trip scenes are engaging - but for me, the strongest element comes from the depiction of racism - both overt and casual - that they have to deal with for the whole trip. A very interesting and educational film.

Afterwards, more rain, and even more cold - I was so glad my bus came straight away! Tomorrow, film again - determined to get all the big hitters seen! So, tomorrow I'm finally seeing The Favourite - Olivia Coleman plays Queen Anne, with Emma Stone as Baroness Masham, and Rachel Weisz as her cousin, the Duchess of Marlborough, vying for her favour. All three Oscar-nominated. I was going to see this in Rich Mix, but the only showing tomorrow is quite early - and the boss moved all today's meetings, including the evening one, to tomorrow, following our social. So that was out, and I'm now seeing it in the Vue Islington. I booked, because that's cheaper with them - and was happy, as ever, to donate to the MediCinema charity, which they support, and which brings cinema to hospitals.

On Thursday - I found a new walk! Courtesy of Walking in London, as usual. The Blood and Tears Walk (I guess there isn't any sweat) has been running for years, it seems. And the guide seems to have a good sense of humour, which should be interesting as he trails us around, looking for serial killers. I just hope it's warmed up a bit by then.

And on Friday, back on my first proper Meetup for two weeks, as I meet Up in the Cheap Seats again, for Cougar, at the Orange Tree. Got one of the last four seats on the lower level.

No comments:

Post a Comment