Friday 7 September 2018

Thames River of Death Ghost Story Tour

Tonight, I was with Spooky London - for yet another ghost tour. This one was the Thames River of Death Ghost Story Tour. It'd be interesting to see what hand this group made of ghost stories - payment on the day, so (unusually) I needed to remember to bring cash. Happily, I did.

Not too much trouble getting out in time - the buses proved problematic, however, with delays meaning it'd be tight - so I ended up taking the Tube. And arriving early. We'd been told to meet at the Boudicca statue - just as well, though, that the guide posted a photo on the page, in which I could see myself in the background! so I could figure out that they were actually around the back of it. What the hey, it's a complicated place to meet people anyway.



More photos here. After a brief delay to see whether anyone else would show, we were off along the river. Certainly, in the early stages, what this reminded me of was last year's sponsored walk, which covered this route - rather more leisurely, today! I'll tell you what else made an immediate impression - the guide is a rather excellent storyteller: and as we know, I'm a sucker for a good story. Bring it on..

This was the first I'd heard of how traumatised people were supposed to have gone underground in the Blitz, and stayed down there, separate from humanity, and apparently stealing the Savoy's linen and such, right up to modern times! And about the ghosts that supposedly haunt the Playhouse. But the first thing that really grabbed me was the story of Cleopatra's Needle, and how the sphinxes on either side are turned "the wrong way". Probably just a mistake.. but you have to love the story of how sphinxes are turned in the direction of the things they are supposed to protect against - so they should have their backs to the needle. Instead, they face it, as though that's what they're in combat against! With stories of Aleister Crowley meddling with the needle, trying to raise unholy things, it's a compelling argument..



Afterwards, to The Blackfriar - and I wasn't the only one who, despite having passed it many times, had never gone in! Gosh, it's marvellous - our knowledgeable guide was able to tell us that it was decorated in the 30s, with the best of everything; it shows! Plenty of references to the old priory:



And there, I must say I had the most enjoyable evening, in the most convivial company, that I've had since the departure of the Man with the Hat! Talk started with ghost stories, naturally enough, but we found a variety of topics to take us to closing. It's only a shame that this was my last free Friday night till November! so if Friday is their preferred night, I'm afraid it'll be a while.

Was close enough to walk back. Tomorrow, Let's Do It! is off to Windsor. However, they're off to a Mexican restaurant as part of the day, and I don't really like Mexican food.. and have seen Windsor town in general anyway. However, I haven't yet been around the castle.. so lo, I've booked myself a ticket for that day, finally. I see it's one of those places I'll have to buy a souvenir guide for - no photography allowed inside. Tip when booking train tickets - use the Trainline website to look, not book! Get the rail company name from them, then book with the company direct. It's cheaper. 

On Sunday.. tan-ta-ra! Speaking of storytelling, the Crick Crack Club is back after the summer! Not that you'd know it from their Meetup group, whose next advertised Meetup is next month! Anyway, on Sunday, Tuup is telling the tale of The King and the Corpse, at the British Museum, accompanied by Sheema Mukherjee.

On Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - all the way to the Orange Tree, in Richmond, for Losing Venice.

On Tuesday, my £3.60 club has a ticket for me to hear Professor Rana Mitter speak about China for an hour in the China Exchange.

On Wednesday, well, London Literary Walks is back on - but I'd already booked with UITCS for Natalia Osipova in Sadler's Wells. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

On the 17th, Crick Crack is back.. again! Just as well I'm on the main club mailing list. This time, it's Aye, Coyote! in Soho Theatre.

And on the 18th, back with UITCS for Pinter at the Pinter.. Pinter plays at the Pinter Theatre! Our particular combination is One for the Road / New World Order / Ashes to Ashes / Mountain Language. I bought my ticket for this one from another member who couldn't go - Ticketmaster, so hopefully there won't be a problem with me picking up the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment