Sunday 9 September 2018

Storytelling: The King & the Corpse

Today.. tan-ta-ra! The Crick Crack Club is back after the summer! Not that you'd know it from their Meetup group, whose next advertised Meetup is next month! Anyway, today, Tuup was telling the tale of The King and the Corpse, at the British Museum, accompanied by Sheema Mukherjee.

I left in plenty of time, really I did. Or so you'd think - I was stuck at the stop for 15 minutes with no sign of any bus at all, and there was really no alternative that'd get me there appreciably faster. To top it all, when the bus finally came, it terminated early! They were out to get me today, huh? When I got off, I nearly got on the one behind, but realised I'd only be going one stop and it wouldn't be of any benefit to me. So, off I scuttled - and when I got to the museum, I knew to go around the back, to the entrance for exhibitions or groups. Sadly, I was stuck behind a huge Chinese tour group.. by the time I finally got in, it was five minutes past time.

To top it all, I was on the wrong side, and when I went down the usual stairs, there was nobody there, nuts. Happily, a museum worker saw me and said they'd moved to the theatre next door - sure enough, there was the desk. Also pacing up and down was Martin Shaw, who smilingly waved me straight in! Perhaps he recognised me. Anyway, I grabbed a seat, and was in position - with my phone off - before anything actually started.

I have to give kudos to Tuup - he had a tough job, today. I believe there was a strange smell in their usual theatre - in the replacement, they couldn't seem to keep the lights off! Time after time after time, they turned off the lights, only for them to turn straight on again. Then there was feedback on the mic - to top it all, the fire alarm went off during the second half! (The MC, Ben Haggerty, reassured us that we didn't have to leave.) As someone remarked at the interval, it was a tribute to Tuup that nothing phased him - he just carried on throughout. As Ben remarked, the spirits were active today..


Unusually, these were Indian stories - accompanied by a range of instruments, just about visible here. Tuup had a bongo drum and gong - Sheema was on the sitar, with a seemingly limitless range of things to use as percussion instruments. She came on wearing face paint - appropriately, as she was to take part in proceedings!

The story concerns a king who is asked by a brahman to fetch him a corpse that is hanging from a certain tree - the brahman can use this corpse in certain magical rituals, by which they can both have whatever they want. However, he warns, do not listen to the corpse, for it is tricky - and do not speak to it. Sheema, of course, is the corpse - and the bulk of today's storytelling concerned the stories that she told, in an eerie, high-pitched voice, each ending in a dilemma that we had to solve. Multiple choice - which would you choose? The first was easy - apparently we missed the metaphor in the second one though, and got the wrong answer. The third.. was left unanswered, and the king's reply - for he replied to all these riddles - was that a committee was deciding on it, and had been doing so for a long time. Thing was, each time he spoke to the corpse to answer a riddle - why, the corpse flew back to the tree it had come from, and he had to start the trip all over again!

It was difficult to set up a mood, with the lights constantly going on and off - but they eventually did seem to sort that. And Tuup and Sheema are masters of the art. We had almost constant music, and a scene created for us to imagine, which Tuup's compelling words drew from the depths of the soul. It is very, very good to have Crick Crack back.

Oh, and yes, of course they had trouble with turning the lights on as we left! As I walked out, I was handed a flier for their upcoming events in Soho Theatre - no need, I've actually already booked them all! Trying to exit by the main entrance, I ended up behind (the same? another?) Chinese tour group.. and then, with people sitting on the steps beside both handrails, despite signs telling them not to do that, I had to go all the way round the back and exit that way. I need handrails on stairs. Naturally, I just missed my bus.. and had to wait an inordinately long time for the next to get to me - the traffic was like treacle. And the bus was packed, so I had to stand. All in all, a tougher experience than a regular Crick Crack Sunday afternoon!


Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - all the way to the Orange Tree, in Richmond, for Losing Venice.

On Tuesday, my £3.60 club has a ticket for me to hear Professor Rana Mitter speak about China for an hour in the China Exchange.

On Wednesday, well, London Literary Walks is back on - but I'd already booked with UITCS for Natalia Osipova in Sadler's Wells. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

On the 17th, Crick Crack is back.. again! Just as well I'm on the main club mailing list. This time, it's Aye, Coyote! in Soho Theatre. (See?)

And on the 18th, back with UITCS for Pinter at the Pinter.. Pinter plays at the Pinter Theatre! Our particular combination is One for the Road / New World Order / Ashes to Ashes / Mountain Language. I bought my ticket for this one from another member who couldn't go - Ticketmaster, so hopefully there won't be a problem with me picking up the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment