Monday 10 September 2018

Play: Losing Venice

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - all the way to the Orange Tree, in Richmond, for Losing Venice. Well, my latest meeting didn't impinge on my time - but it was still a helluva journey. Google Maps said my fastest option was two Tubes followed by a train, and even that would take about 45 minutes - so that's what I did. The Tubes were predictably crowded - at least my journeys were short, just designed to get me to Waterloo. Where I had five minutes to cross the length of the station, to catch the train to Richmond. Well, I could have come out the nearest exit if I'd known which it was! Anyway, that wasn't happening, so I got the next, eight minutes later. Which had a lovely cool breeze blowing from the windows, and where I got a seat. And there weren't signalling problems to slow things down and make the trains less frequent and more crowded - like last time.

So, I got to Richmond a little after we'd arranged. Turned right from the station, because that's where it is - don't make the mistake I once nearly did (and someone else did tonight) and follow the sign for "Richmond Theatre". And when I went up, there were a few in the bar - I got myself a drink, took a seat, and in due course the others joined us. And we had a good catch-up before we headed in.


Looks kind of like a village hall, doesn't it? Well, it was smoky enough - and a chap in a glittery shirt stood over the side, swigging beer and sporting a guitar. Me, I was in the back row of three - and these days, they have new, high seats back there, with combined footrests that lower and fold in conjunction with the tip seats! Ooh, fancy - I haven't seen those before.

I was in C25. Unfortunately, that means I spent most of the first half, at least, looking at the backs of performers' heads. I know the production is in the round, and they can't face in every direction at once - but they could mix it up a bit! and they do, to an extent, as the play continues.

It's a farce. The action starts in Madrid, where we're introduced to the duke, his new bride, his manservant and her woman servant, who have a thing for each other - and the court poet. There's a lot of posturing, and honestly, it did absolutely nothing for me. The poet, to me, just waffles, the duke is pompous, the duchess is just annoying, speaking in staccato sentences and waving her hands while staring somewhere in the air. The production does get more interesting when they have an audience with the king, who is depicted as a decrepit old despot, and for once plays it straight.

In the second half, they're in Venice, ostensibly to fight off the Turks. Much less warlike a place, here we meet priestesses - interestingly, one of them, who is named as a stand-in in notices in the lobby, was reading her lines for that scene from the script, which she held in her hand. Worked pretty well. I think we all preferred the second half - there was more variety and less daftness; such humour as there was was a bit more developed. And they had a musical backdrop - including some Spanish guitar, which will always win me over. Still, I don't think the production worked for me, although there were bits I liked. Runs till the 20th of next month, if you're interested.

A few of us shared the Tube back (which was, of course, much emptier).. had a good chat, again, and passed a curious art installation in Gloucester Road. Tomorrow, my £3.60 club has a ticket for me to hear Professor Rana Mitter speak about contemporary Chinese politics and society for an hour in the China Exchange.

On Wednesday, well, London Literary Walks is back on - but I'd already booked with UITCS for Natalia Osipova in Sadler's Wells. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

Next Monday, Crick Crack is back.. again! Just as well I'm on the main club mailing list, as their Meetup group is ignoring this event. This time, it's Aye, Coyote! in Soho Theatre.

And on the 18th, back with UITCS for Pinter at the Pinter.. Pinter plays at the Pinter Theatre! Our particular combination is One for the Road / New World Order / Ashes to Ashes / Mountain Language. I bought my ticket for this one from another member who couldn't go - Ticketmaster, so hopefully there won't be a problem with me picking up the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment