Tuesday 25 September 2018

Caffè Nero

Tonight, our team was supposed to be going for drinks - cancelled last week, because of work pressure. Mind you, it worked out really well, as an old friend got in touch, and this turned out to be the most convenient gap in our schedules! So we arranged to meet Leicester-Square-ish, which is roughly equidistant for us and handy for meeteries, and when I looked up cafes nearby, what should I find but Caffè Nero in Cranbourn Street. So that was the arrangement!

He gave me an estimated time, I made my way to the bus stop in good time to make it. And promptly had to come all the way back, because I'd forgotten something! Well, when I returned to the stop, I didn't have to wait too long for my bus. And when I got to the cafe, I was the only customer - I'd figured I'd beat him to it! To be fair, he had to come further. I ordered a chocolate milano and one of those dinky little bars of gianduja they keep by the till, and took a seat at the back.

Arguably the best hot chocolate around, the chocolate milano is nice and dark, and separate from the range of hot chocolates they do. And always what I order here. Well, I had finished that, and started on my book, by the time he got there, and kindly got me a refill. Which, I swear, tasted better than the first! Really, I do think the flavour builds up - although the baristo, clearing up, was adamant that it was the company I was keeping. Which he had a good point about, as we found enough to chat about to last through to closing time, then another 90 minutes stood on the side of the road, as street sweepers and ambulances - and the odd noisy rickshaw - roared by. Ah, I miss living around there. And it was terrific to catch up - frankly, the most enjoyable evening I've had in a while. May it not be as long till the next occasion. I do hope we get to reschedule our work night out, though..

Tomorrow, finally back with London Literary Walks for his final walk of the year. Vanity Fair, and hallelujah, someone else finally signed up!

On Thursday, I'm with my £3.60 club for the final night of Between Us, originally scheduled for Theatre N16, but now moved to Ye Olde Rose & Crown. Then back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On Monday, back with North London Friends for Every Day I Make Greatness Happen, at Hampstead Theatre - which I hear great things about. Nice to get a group discount, too.

And next Tuesday, another thing I've heard great things about - I'm taking myself to Eugenius, at The Other Palace. Finally, after all the praise I've heard of it.. This theatre used to be known as St. James', and is dreadful for legroom - take an aisle seat if you're at all lanky of leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment