Monday 24 September 2018

Concert: Duo

Jeez. Get off the plane, there's a 20-degree drop in temperature. So, today I had to dig around for warmer clothes - autumn has definitely arrived. Tonight, back with Let's Do This for Duo at Wilton's - always a great night, there. Always great company with them, too!

It was a manic day at work - as I said, running out the door, I was leaving before I could be given anything else to do! Taking the bus, I ran up to the door of the 205, but the driver pulled off, apparently not having seen me. Happily, a 135 was right along. With the day I'd had - and the busy weekend - I was, frankly, dreading standing in the normal crush at Wilton's - so I was delighted to receive a message that our organiser had secured a table.

Sure enough, we were sat right in front of the stage area. I've never seen the place so empty - why, it was even quick to go to the bar! Well, we chatted away until the music started, swapping stories of where we'd been and what we'd seen, as the band set up.. the band consists of two young fellows, one English, one French, the Englishman more naturally to the fore, but both on guitar. Video here.

They're undoubtedly accomplished - and alongside their flamenco-style covers of popular tunes, they played a couple of their own compositions. I'd really have liked to hear more of these, as I thought they showed great promise. Also, the earliest pieces they played seemed unfinished - but as my companion remarked, they were warming up. Sure enough, they were on fire by the end. Mind you, the highlight for me was their performance of Asturias - they are classically trained.

Tomorrow, our team was supposed to be going for drinks- cancelled last week, because of work pressure. Mind you, I might be meeting someone else that evening- watch this space!

On Wednesday, finally back with London Literary Walks for his final walk of the year. Vanity Fair, and hallelujah, someone else finally signed up!

On Thursday, I'm with my £3.60 club for the final night of Between Us, at Theatre N16. Then back to Ireland again for the weekend.

Next Monday, back with North London Friends for Every Day I Make Greatness Happen, at Hampstead Theatre - which I hear great things about. Nice to get a group discount, too.

And on the 2nd, another thing I've heard great things about - I'm taking myself to Eugenius, at The Other Palace. Finally, after all the praise I've heard of it.. This theatre used to be known as St. James', and is dreadful for legroom - take an aisle seat if you're at all lanky of leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment