Sunday 23 September 2018

Tablao Flamenco La Quimera

Last night, I finally fulfilled my ambition of seeing a flamenco show in Madrid - love Flamenco! La Quimera is just up the road from the hotel - show includes a meal.

I set out at 10pm for a show due to start at 10.30 - Google Maps said it would take about 17 minutes to walk. Well, I went up and down hills (very hilly country, Spain),  down back streets, following the little blue dot.. finally it showed my destination to be right around the corner. And there it was. They had no record of my booking, mind- but I showed them the confirmation email, and they happily showed me to a table. Might have been a different story if there'd been more in my party .

There's a variety of menus you can choose- cheapest was the sharing menu, which I'd chosen,  even though I wasn't sharing. Starter is a salad or Spanish omelette- I chose the omelette, which they halved for me. There's a long selection of main courses, from which I chose the apple and almond chicken. And a white wine. 

I should probably have arrived earlier- I had time to order before the lights went down, but they brought my food in the dark! The omelette was good, but too much to finish, of course. The chicken was really tasty - even if I couldn't really see what I was eating! The wine was good too - although he forgot all about it, and was comically apologetic when I reminded him. Nice, big glass I got. I'd have asked for another, but didn't want to disturb the show, and no-one came near me once my initial order was served. 

And so to the flamenco:


More photos- and videos- here. This is a really snug little place, and I tell you, I wouldn't have liked to have had a table by the stage - likely the ferocity of the performances would have sent stuff flying! Indeed, there was one point where I thought the male dancer was going to hop onto one of those tables.. he did seem to be considering it.


Power and passion- perfecto. I finally achieved my goal. At €37 for the sharing menu, with a decent size glass of wine, friendly service, and a powerful and intimate show - highly recommended! Lasts for 90 minutes. And on my way back,  in the post-midnight heat, I heard fireworks- no idea why. Adiós Madrid- hope it's not as long next time! Hasta luego, U2..

I fly back, exhausted, today. With Ryanair, carefully avoiding any of their strikes. Handily, the Metro ticket machines have an "airport" option. Now in the departure lounge, in imminent need of food, and more challengingly, of a charging point for my phone. Dreading my return to a London that promises to be even colder than when I left. Tomorrow, back with Let's Do This for Duo at Wilton's - always a great night, there. Always great company with them, too!

On Tuesday, our team was supposed to be going for drinks- cancelled yesterday, probably because of work pressure. Mind you, I might be meeting someone else that evening- watch this space!

On Wednesday, finally back with London Literary Walks for his final walk of the year. Vanity Fair, and I'm the only one has signed up for it - tsk! Damned if I'm missing this one, though.

On Thursday, I'm with my £3.60 club for the final night of Between Us, at Theatre N16. Then back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On the 1st, back with North London Friends for Every Day I Make Greatness Happen, at Hampstead Theatre - which I hear great things about. Nice to get a group discount, too.

And on the 2nd, another thing I've heard great things about - I'm taking myself to Eugenius, at The Other Palace. Finally, after all the praise I've heard of it.. This theatre used to be known as St. James', and is dreadful for legroom - take an aisle seat if you're at all lanky of leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment