Wednesday 22 August 2018

Plays: Secondhand Stories & Whimsy

Tonight, again, off with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) (and the same organiser as Monday) to the Camden Fringe. We saw Secondhand Stories and Whimsy, two short plays at The Lion and Unicorn. I would have been missing an evening with London Literary Walks today, but he then moved it. And scheduled something else in its place, nuts!

Another frantic day at work - it's impossible to get a handle on anything when new stuff keeps getting piled on us! That's what you get when you have to work on several different projects at once. Anyway, after it put me in a foul mood, I said enough was enough, and left in time to get the bus. I had a choice of several, and arrived just before the organiser. Nice pub - I'd forgotten: spacious, airy, and we took the comfy seats by the fireplace (no fire, I hasten to add!). It's over a year since I was here last, for the same festival - and indeed, with the same organiser! I didn't seem to find the house white as watery on that occasion as it was tonight..


Well, I got to catch up with him about how he'd got on in the Edinburgh Fringe, and gripe about my day; we kept an eye out for the others, but didn't see them.. until the house opened and we made a move to go in, when we ran into them, and it turned out they'd been taking the air in the beer garden. Well now. Anyway, we got to sit together - front row, natch.

Secondhand Stories is a one-man show. Except it isn't - although audience participation is entirely voluntary, coaxed along by a twinkle in his smiling Irish eye and a tray of homebaked chocolate-chip cookies! (There's also whiskey, but there are more of the cookies.) Strange noises are to be heard from the dressing room beforehand - don't be alarmed, he's working his way up to what is, for him, an emotional performance. It's written specifically for him - and some of it is based on his life, and is very personal.

The perfect end to a shitty day is to hear about somebody else's, and as he entertainingly takes us through the start of a typical day for him, you realise that maybe yours wasn't so bad. Early on, he starts getting people to share - raising hands leads to some brave souls being invited on stage. Wouldn't you know it, yours truly ended up being invited up.. to stare at the audience for what was, apparently, 20 seconds. Just stand and stare at them. (Most of them, by the way, seemed amused to stare back - unusual among them was the one who turned out to be the writer, at the back, frowning at me.) Mind you now, he wasn't to know that - although I'm not a performer - I used to teach at third level, so standing in front of a group of adults holds no fear for me. I wasn't lying though, when I said it was weird not knowing what I was supposed to be doing there! but my cookie was fairly easily earned. A harder job was taken on by another of our group, who volunteered to share a fascinating anecdote from the Edinburgh Fringe.

The first part was hilarious, the latter story - which had more pathos - was a bit harder to listen to. But this is a truly personal performance, for both the actor and writer, whose theatre group is Putnockee Players. And the audience participation is gentle, and sensitively done - centring around the idea that we all have stories to tell, and how and why we do that. Runs until Saturday - highly recommended. And the cookies are excellent.

Since we were headed to the second play there tonight, we headed to the beer garden in between, on what was a lovely, balmy evening. The second play of the night, Whimsy, had all of five actors onstage - and just slightly more people in the audience. Just as well audience participation wasn't a part of this show - they wouldn't have had much choice! The story centres around Aoife (an Irish name - there was a lot of Irishness going around tonight), who has three - guardian angels, or something. Anyway, she leads a humdrum existence - until one day, she discovers her guardian angels, and that they imbue her with the power to get whatever she wants! but what, oh what, will she do with her new powers..?

Not as powerful a piece as the first, nonetheless it had its moments, with some terrific comic acting, and some nice touches.. in particular, keep an eye on what they're reading. And yes, sitting in the front row got us in trouble again, as we got pelted with knickers! Runs till Sunday.

As we walked down the road afterwards, we were pursued by two men, who ran out of the pub shortly after we did! Lo and behold, it was the actor and writer from the first show, who'd missed us between the plays - as they explained - but were looking out the window after the second show, and saw us leave! They just felt they had to come after us, to thank us for being so cooperative with the audience participation! Ahh.. now, I've heard of mixing with the cast after a show, but I haven't heard of this before! How lovely.. I wish them all the best. I remember the Man with the Hat, and how he lit up when we ran into theatre folk in Southwark Playhouse.. I know how he felt. He's another one would have gotten a kick out of tonight - whether or not he could be persuaded on stage. We really miss him, out and about..

I was rather confused to be catching my bus home from exactly the same stop I got off at on the outbound journey! Of course, it turns out that the route I took outbound doubled back on itself. Anyway, this bus took me straight to within walking distance of home - and handily enough, a corner shop was open for me to grab a couple of things. Much better serviced for that kind of thing, where I live now, than where I was before.

Now, tomorrow evening sees a really late meeting. And it was advertised in good time - so, with nothing spectacular to do instead, and nothing booked, I decided to attend that, and forego Meetup for a night. However, my £3.60 club eventually came up with an alternative that was late enough for me to make it after the meeting. And what's more, I got a ticket for the same thing, even cheaper, from my other cheap ticket company. (When I figured out that the problem on the booking page was that the year for the payment card had to have four digits.) Neither company will allow me to name them to you - I can tell people privately, though. Anyway, the event is Jarlath Regan, who's at Soho Theatre with a show called Organ Freeman. (Jeez, Irish again! We're taking over.)

On Friday, UITCS again, same organiser again, for another Camden Fringe double bill: this time, it's Train Journey at the Etcetera Theatre, and ShakeItUp: The Improvised Shakespeare Show at The Upper Room.

And on Saturday, I'm back with Walking in London, for yet another ghost tour - this time, it's the London Bridge Ghost Walking Tour! Hope the weather holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment