Wednesday 15 August 2018

Play: Things of Dry Hours

Tonight - sorry, London Literary Walks, you didn't advertise early enough! Instead, I was off with North London Friends for Things of Dry Hours, at the Young Vic. At least they weren't dragging me off to parts Northerly, for once! Actually, someone in the group was looking for a ticket, so I could have sold him mine - thought about it, but didn't. It sounded interesting.

Had a late meeting. Cancelled my attendance at it, so I could do stuff for my boss - I asked, and it turns out he's already worked two 15-hour days this week. Haven't yet heard his total for today, but he is in serious need of help. So, I got that done, but was a bit late to take the bus, if I wanted to meet the group at the appointed time.

So, Tube it was. The Northern Line was suitably horrendous, and I was more than glad when I got to move to a spot where I got a breeze from the aircon. The Jubilee Line, for once, was a bit better, being less crammed - but oh, the relief when I got outside! ..to something like a gale force wind. Still, very welcome! I seemed to be the first there - no need to rush, then. We met outside and got our tickets, then headed in to queue, as seating is unreserved.

Umm, that was unpleasant. We were first in the queue, at the studio to the left of the bar, where I hadn't been before. Far end from the door, and any fresh air that might have intruded. In fact, as time wore on - and they still weren't opening the doors - I was having trouble getting enough air (again!) and actually had quite a dizzy spell. The crowds on the Tube hadn't helped - nor had the stressful afternoon at work. Leaning against the wall helped - and when I bent over and lowered my head, I discovered there was actually a cool breeze down there! So that's pretty much how I stayed until we finally were let in.


We took the front row, pretty much. The set is a simple one, just the wall of a wood cabin, steps leading up to a door. There's generally a chair or two. Some other props occasionally make appearances from trapdoors in the stage, or from the back. The story is also simple, centring on a black man, living in Alabama in the 1930s with his daughter. He's a well-read man, also head of the local Communist chapter. For her part, she's a feisty character who takes in washing. Their comfortable existence is disturbed one day by a hammering on the door - turns out to be a white man, on the run, looking for shelter. What happens over the course of his stay will have fateful consequences.

It truly is intense - which I love. Ominous music throughout heightens a sense of unease, and we really have no idea - although several opinions - as to where the story will go. It's an interesting role swap, as the black characters are so obviously better read, more intelligent and driven, than their white-trash visitor: who, it transpires, can't read and knows nothing about anything in particular. His outbursts, a compensation for his sense of inadequacy around them, are particularly tense. Some of our number found it quite slow, and indeed quite a few of the audience left  at the interval - but I think it suits the slow pace of Southern life, and indeed of the times. I found some of the philosophising a bit much, but overall I really loved it, thought it gave a great sense of the place and the characters involved. Runs till the 25th - only returns available at this stage, though.

Tomorrow, I'm headed to Soho Theatre for The One. Then back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

On Monday, I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to the Arcola, for Elephant Steps.

On Tuesday, the £3.60 club is providing me with a ticket to see Aprile Millo perform at Cadogan Hall. Gotta say, terrific value for something whose official prices start at £35!

And next Wednesday, again, off with UITCS to the Camden Fringe. We're seeing Secondhand Stories and Whimsy, two short plays at The Lion and Unicorn. I would have been missing an evening with London Literary Walks that day, but he then moved it. And scheduled something else in its place, nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment