Thursday 23 August 2018

Comedy: Jarlath Regan - Organ Freeman

This evening, a really late meeting was scheduled. And it was advertised in good time - so, with nothing spectacular to do instead, and nothing booked, I decided to attend that, and forego Meetup for a night. However, my £3.60 club eventually came up with an alternative that was late enough for me to make it after the meeting. And what's more, I got a ticket for the same thing, even cheaper, from my other cheap ticket company. (When I figured out that the problem on the booking page was that the year for the payment card had to have four digits.) Neither company will allow me to name them to you - I can tell people privately, though. Anyway, the event is Jarlath Regan, who's at Soho Theatre with a show called Organ Freeman. (Jeez, Irish again! We're taking over.)

Wouldn't you bloody know it, the meeting was cancelled. And oddly, although I'd RSVPed for it, I received no notification, and only found out when I casually checked the calendar to see whether a meeting room had been booked for it. Humph. Well, I'd booked this now, and there was nothing for it but to hang on in the office until it was time to leave. In fairness, it did afford me time to do some valuable work, which I appreciated. And I still wasn't the last person to leave.

Damn cold in the evenings - certainly relative to what we've had. And wouldn't you know it, annoyingly, my bus came just as I was waiting to cross the road, and there wasn't even anyone at the stop to hold it! So I needs must hang around in the cold breeze for the next - which was delayed. And then made its slow way into town - it's not that long a trip, but I was despairing of making it in time. Mercifully, I was let off not far from the theatre, and I know the way so well - I was scuttling so hard, even the beggars didn't bother to beg, just wished me a good evening. I gabbled my details at the box office, and was handed my ticket, with the warning that the show started in one minute.

Happily, someone was just taking the lift as I passed, and I took it with him. As we remarked, it was so slow that we might as well have walked! although we were less out of breath this way. This show is in the main theatre, and wouldn't you know it, I was in Row E. It's a funny thing, row numbering - on Tuesday, I was in Row C, which turned out to be eighth from the stage - this evening, Row E was second from the stage! Go figure.

Happily, this chap isn't the sort to pick on people in the front - although he did banter with a few people, they were people who commented, or maybe gave a random laugh when nobody else did. And he has a lovely, gentle style about him anyway, really easygoing. He's Irish, as I say, and plays up that element quite a bit, explaining how he's lived here for five years, and poking fun at the "lads" culture in England, which he quite rightly says is alien to the Irish. The obligatory Brexit joke appears - and again, the point isn't in one-liners; he builds a relationship with the audience, and is naturally funny in conversation.

Most of the show is very personal, though - the title is taken from his decision to donate a kidney to his brother, and the dilemmas that that posed: for him and for his wife. Why he wanted to do it, what happened.. all very honest, and mixed with keen observations on society at large. Really moving, although never miserable - and he shows a video at the end, starring the people he's been talking about all night. Including his six-year-old son; best joke of the night was when his wife suggested they each throw away something they never used any more, suggesting that the little fellow could throw away some of his old toys. "Yes," he said, "and you could throw away some of those Jamie Oliver books you never open.."

Really good, much better than I'd expected from a short YouTube video. Runs until Saturday, and highly recommended - has to be seen live to be appreciated. It's a late one, but only an hour long. And coming back - lo, my bus came as I was trying to cross the road! Again! I ask you, there's a rhythm to these things, isn't there?

Tomorrow, Up in the Cheap Seats again, same organiser as earlier in the week, for another Camden Fringe double bill: this time, it's Train Journey at the Etcetera Theatre, and ShakeItUp: The Improvised Shakespeare Show at The Upper Room.

And on Saturday, I'm back with Walking in London, for yet another ghost tour - this time, it's the London Bridge Ghost Walking Tour! Got my usual 10% discount. Hope the weather holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment