Tuesday 7 August 2018

Musical: When Midnight Strikes

Plays for the next two weeks, and the rest of this week, as it happens, is with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS). Tonight was my first foray of the year to the Camden Fringe - and they were off to When Midnight Strikes, Upstairs at the Gatehouse. Now, last time I was here, I had to take the Tube - but it was with North London Friends, who met earlier; this evening, we met later, and I had the luxury of having the time to take the bus. Not only is it cheaper, and less polluted - it drops you a lot closer! Helluva walk from the Tube station.

I was really too late to bed last night - nearly fell asleep on the long bus journey this evening! Fortunately, mine was the last stop - and once I'd got my ticket at the box office, I discovered I was the first to arrive! Just.. I made my way to the green room, where we were to meet, made myself comfy on the sofa, and hadn't long put a message up to say I was there when the next arrival introduced herself. The others soon met us there, and as soon as the house was open, we made our way in.

Not that we needed to be so quick - the place was only about half full, in the end. The show is set on New Year's Eve, at a swanky party in an apartment in SoHo (New York's version). (So it's a bit odd for the website to describe it as a contemporary, British musical.. well, it might have been written by a Brit, but as our organiser later remarked, the music is quite old-fashioned.) Anyway, tense undercurrents accompany the party guests, and the evening takes an unexpected twist.

Have to say, the musical numbers are fantastic. Not all the singers have a voice that will project, but all can carry a tune - the harmonies are terrific, the lyrics snappy and clever, and the choreography top-notch. The acting in between.. is uneven, I think you could say. In producing this, the attention was obviously paid to the musical numbers, to the detriment of the dramatic element - which is a shame, as it's an interesting plot; the lady of the house has just discovered that her husband had an affair, and the rest of the play turns into a whodunnit. Very Agatha Christie, what with the elegant setting and evening dress. Despite its flaws, it's a very enjoyable production - runs till Saturday.

Excellent ice cream, and a convivial chat, at the interval, but with this group, predictably, no drinks after. So, home nice and early - and downhill all the way, although the driver had a habit of braking sharply, so it paid to keep attention if you wanted to stay on your seat!

Tomorrow, London Literary Walks was supposed to be back with "Brook Green" - another area near where I used to live! Actually, the first medical practice that I registered with, in London. Nice nurse - one very narky doctor. Sadly, he then cancelled - I don't know why, as his comment on the page disappeared with the page when he cancelled the event! Instead,  I'm off to Allelujah at the Bridge Theatre. Well, at least it's closer. Funnily enough, I accidentally nearly booked for the matinee of this - and there was better availability for the evening performance! Odd..

On Thursday, we're back to the Camden Fringe, with How to Be a Londoner in an Hour, at the Hen & Chickens Theatre. Meeting one of the group for dinner beforehand, which should be nice. Then I'm down to Helen's for the weekend, for a party..

On Monday, back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group, back to Westferry Circus.. this time it's for A Woman of No Importance.

Next Tuesday, with nothing on Meetup that I was interested in (and hadn't done), I'm headed with my £3.60 club to a play called Faith & Heresy, at The Bread & Roses in Clapham.

On the 15th - sorry, London Literary Walks, you didn't advertise early enough! Instead, I'm off with North London Friends for Things of Dry Hours, at the Young Vic.

On the 16th, I'm headed to Soho Theatre for The One. Then back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

On the 20th, I'm going with UITCS to the Arcola, for Elephant Steps.

On the 21st, the £3.60 club is providing me with a ticket to see Aprile Millo perform at Cadogan Hall. Gotta say, terrific value for something whose official prices start at £35!

And on the 22nd, again, off with UITCS to the Camden Fringe. We're seeing Secondhand Stories and Whimsy, two short plays at The Lion and Unicorn. I would have been missing an evening with London Literary Walks that day, but he's now moved it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment