Thursday 16 August 2018

Play: The One

Tonight, I headed to Soho Theatre for The One. On my own, there being nothing on Meetup - not when I was looking, at least. Honestly, I was just as happy - you get tired of making conversation sometimes, you know?

Funny how rainstorms are always preceded by strong winds.. yesterday, we had gales, and this morning (and lasting halfway through the afternoon), we had a deluge. I got so soaked on the short walk to the office that my coat was drenched through for the rest of the day! Charming. Stank of damp on the way out, this evening - it'd just about dried out by the time I came back again. Anyway, happily, I just made my bus, and was nice and early for the play - since I skipped the last meeting at work..

The bus was terribly crammed - seemingly by a large crowd of young Americans! who all got off just before I did. Terrible nostalgia again for the Man with the Hat, as I walked to Soho Theatre, past the Nellie Dean - which had people sitting in the windows upstairs, where we used to. The house wasn't open yet, and the nice lady was trying to get us to wait in the bar - but I didn't want anything, and it's a bit of a logjam, if you can't get a table. Anyway, I found a spot by the wall, and it was only five minutes before we were let upstairs.

Main theatre, thankfully - I'm so used to being all the way in the attic, here! It's still a lot of stairs. In the theatre itself, I had a balcony seat - they are the cheapest seats, and I do prefer them, as you can get closer to the stage. The railing isn't a problem if you lean forward. Double benches - happily, there was nobody else on mine, so I just left my bag and coat beside me. A footrest. A ledge in front of me, just wide enough for my phone - or a drink.


A soundtrack of mostly 80s music - all love-related - leads us into this one-hour, one-act play, centred on a couple (Tuppence Middleton and John Hopkins) in their living room. The kitchen is up the stairs we can see here, the front door is to the left. Nothing else is needed - everything takes place in the same night. Her sister is in labour, so the phone keeps beeping with messages - otherwise, it's all a game of verbal pingpong, interrupted occasionally by a colleague of his, who calls around for reasons of her own.

Strong sexual themes, strong language. This won't be for everyone - the title certainly doesn't give anything away. At one point, someone in the front row got up and walked out.. I guess she was objecting to the sexual element, which is very strong, and at that point seemed to indicate the direction the play was going in. It didn't, though - nothing so obvious. So, a play of unexpected direction, dealing with themes that are quite uncommon on stage. This might, in fact, be the most controversial play showing at the moment, dealing as it does with domestic violence - and, controversially, a willing female participant.

General consensus was that her acting was absolutely terrific. And don't think that this is a gloomy play; no, as they tear strips off each other - physically and verbally, in their sadistic games - it's actually really entertaining. The characters are well-educated - in fact, he used to be her English professor. And the whole play consists of them goading each other, seeing how far they can push each other. The hapless woman who pops in has no idea what she's walked into, and acts as our representative, watching them and thinking.. "WTF?!" Question is, how far can they push each other? and how far is too far?

I loved it. Really clever, really dark. Most unusual, and brilliantly written. Runs till the 25th - limited availability, highly recommended.

On the way back, would you believe, my bus stop was closed for roadworks - third night in a row that's happened to me! Nary a mention on Google Maps for any of them. At least this time they had an alternative stop, and said where it was.. and yay, I was just in time for my bus again. Nice to be back so early. Tomorrow, back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

On Monday, I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to the Arcola, for Elephant Steps.

On Tuesday, the £3.60 club is providing me with a ticket to see Aprile Millo perform at Cadogan Hall. Gotta say, terrific value for something whose official prices start at £35!

And on Wednesday, again, off with UITCS to the Camden Fringe. We're seeing Secondhand Stories and Whimsy, two short plays at The Lion and Unicorn. I would have been missing an evening with London Literary Walks that day, but he then moved it. And scheduled something else in its place, nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment