Wednesday 1 August 2018

Heroism & Villainy Walking Tour (with Real Magic!)

Tonight - London Literary Walks took a break! Today was the day I was originally looking at films for - but what was coming top was Teefa in Trouble. A Bollywood film - fine: except when I watched the trailer, the jokes weren't quite as funny to me as I think they were to the makers, and there was a bit too much exaggerated action - think slo-mo, and people balancing motorbikes on their fingertips. And 2.5 hours of all that was, I thought, a bit much - so no thanks. Which left Sanju again. Not so much.. so I then thought about heading, with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), to Julie, again at the National. Huh! Only tickets left were £50, when I checked! I then checked again.. they had two tickets for £26! Then they were gone, but they had £44 tickets..  Anyway, in the meantime I booked for a Heroism & Villainy Walking Tour (with Real Magic!), via Walking in London.

Blasted evening meetings. This one finished early, but I was still rushing - I could have left earlier than I did, but felt the need to finish something off, what with these constant release deadlines. I could have walked - but given how late I left, I decided to take the bus - which would drop me at Liverpool Street. Ironically, the last bus I took there was detoured - without warning - which was a huge inconvenience at the time (you should have seen the look the guy getting off with me gave the driver!). Naturally, as that detour would have served me well today, it didn't happen - never mind, main thing was that I got there in time.

"There" was the Leyden Gallery, whose owner seems to be a pal of the tour guide, and went around beforehand taking names and making sure we'd paid. We waited a bit for everyone to arrive, before we set off. And wow, I have to say, of all the walking tours I've been on - and by far the most of them around the City - this was the most original! Not a single fact that he came out with had I heard before - most of the places he took us to, I'd never been to before either.

For instance, I'd never met this fellow:


Apparently, this is a representation of one of the 13 knights of the Cnihtengild, who were given the land locally by King Edgar. Pity we couldn't have stayed a bit longer - and that the plaque was so overgrown! Anyway, you can see it properly at the above link. More photos here.

One thing that was really cool about this walk was how he pointed out the guild signs as we went around.. richest, it seems, are the mercers (who dealt in wool)..


..followed by the grocers, and the drapers (who dealt in woven fabric):


Great - I've always been interested in them! Soon after, a stop at the Guildhall, where we had to step out of the way to let a coach in; they were expecting a Royal visit this evening. Goodness me, we also passed the sites of two quite recent IRA bombs.. not the sort of stuff I've normally had pointed out to me, on tours! Really, really unique. And afterwards, back to the gallery, where I ordered a glass of wine as the guide treated us to magic tricks! Great tour - recommended. Only complaint I'd have is that he didn't allow enough time to take photographs - he took us down so many routes I'd never come across before that I was snap-happy. He hasn't been doing this long - long may he continue! We can do with this kind of variety.

Walked back - and my phone battery, happily, lasted until I knew where I was. Tomorrow, I was also booked with this group - for The Summer Ghost Walk. I've been with this guide before - found him very good. And then.. Ryanair announced another bloody strike!! Yes, for the next day. Yes, when I was to go to Ireland for the weekend. So now I'm flying tomorrow, instead - happily, it was Funzing, so I'll get a refund. And they've even refunded me the credits that I used to book it! And I retain the record of bookings that'll earn me more credits. And at least I found out earlier this time, so booked an alternative flight earlier, so it was a bit cheaper.

On Monday, Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group is off to Westferry Circus again, for The Importance of Being Earnest. I RSVPed for that.. but then London Dramatic Arts announced that they were off to see One for Sorrow, at the Royal Court. They cleverly left the announcement until the theatre had sold out for that day - I guess there's an offer. So they were the only place I could get a ticket, and I did - probably at a slightly higher price than the theatre charged. Anyway, better than sitting on the grass, in the heat.

On Tuesday, UITCS is off to When Midnight Strikes, Upstairs at the Gatehouse. I guess I'll be on the Tube again, what with evening meetings.

Next Wednesday, London Literary Walks was supposed to be back with "Brook Green" - another area near where I used to live! Actually, the first medical practice that I registered with, in London. Nice nurse - one very narky doctor. Sadly, just this evening he cancelled - I don't know why, as his comment on the page disappeared with the page when he cancelled the event! Instead, I'm off with UITCS, to Allelujah at the Bridge Theatre. Well, at least it's closer. Funnily enough, I accidentally nearly booked for the matinee of this - and there was better availability for the evening performance! Odd..

On the 9th, UITCS is back to the Camden Fringe, with How to Be a Londoner in an Hour, at the Hen & Chickens Theatre. Then I'm down to Helen's for the weekend, for a party..

On the 13th, back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group, back to Westferry Circus.. this time it's for A Woman of No Importance.

On the 14th, with nothing on Meetup that I was interested in (and hadn't done), I'm headed with my £3.60 club to a play called Faith & Heresy, at The Bread & Roses in Clapham.

On the 15th - sorry, London Literary Walks, you didn't advertise early enough! Instead, I'm off with North London Friends for Things of Dry Hours, at the Young Vic.

On the 16th, I'm headed to Soho Theatre for The One. Then back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

And on the 20th, I'm going with UITCS to the Arcola, for Elephant Steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment